site

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
share rss forum feed
« CWACmon »
This is a sub-selection from I have an idea..

dfly2moon

@skybeam.com
reply to Simba7

Re: I have an idea..

And how would you suggest that is paid for? Are you willing to pay three or four times as much for a length of time? All telecom customers and companies would love it if a wand could be waved and POOF it would be so. But it takes time, money, manhours, planning and some way to keep current service in service while doing this. These union employees work long hard hours and holidays. They aren't asking for a huge raise (in fact have given up cost of living increases and lost some of their benefits for years in the case of Qwest employees) they just want to keep their job, their pay and their bennies. And would love it if the outsourcing/contracting would stop. When the outsourcers and or contractors mess up due to lack of really knowing how to DO the job, the employees deal with the fall out and clean up the mess left behind. That is a waste of time and money. Most customers are not happy to be speaking with someone who do not understand them when they have a problem.

The copper based telephone industry is not just for home users who could go 4g with mobile only. It is also the lines supplied to those cell towers for that to work. It is what almost ALL businesses use from the pizza parlor to you necessary 911 system. It also supplies the means for most alarm systems to work. The Local phone company is not on its way out it is in transition to meet the new needs, but that takes time and again money. There is the cable alternative which is NOT regulated by the PUC (Public Utility Commission - in case you are unaware of what that is). That means if you go with cable and there is an outage they have no legal obligation to get you back up and running in any reasonable time frame, a week or two....... Your Local telephone company is regulated by the PUC and has a time frame in which they have to take care of things or they are fined. They have an incentive to get things done. I won't say they are perfect but without these very hard working and dedicated people your world would be very very different.