how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Nick1996

join:2012-06-04
Edmonton, AB

Telus Actiontec V1000h firmware

I'm wondering if anyone has any information of when we can expect an upgrade from 31.30L.55. I'm really hoping for a UPnP fix so I can hopefully use my Actiontec instead of my Speedtouch with a router. If you have heard anything about an update, please post.

nss_tech

join:2007-07-29
Edmonton AB
Don't hold your breath. Telus takes years to release anything and for some features they don't consider to be commonly used (in their opinion), they never get fixed. Telus has had UPnP issues with most of their gateways since the SE567. Those problems continuing basically mean Telus considers them extremely low priority.

Nick1996

Edmonton, AB
Thanks nss_tech. It is a bit surprising that they don't care about UPnP since most games use it, and we all know how mainstream online gaming now is. Then there's always all of the UPnP compatible BitTorrent clients... I always say Telus provides great internet service (compared to Shaw in my opinion), but provides the customer with almost completely useless hardware most of the time to receive their great service. I was reading through some forums the other day and I thought I remembered reading something about a new firmware slowly being pushed out, so I'm curious.

Mike_C

join:2007-07-19
Vancouver, BC
The last firmware release was some time ago. Only way you'll likely get a better modem is if Telus let residential users have access to the ALUs again. Hook whatever router you want up to one of those and run it how you like.

WhosTheBosch

join:2009-12-02
I don't think the ALU firmware is any better and is even worse as it's older and not being updated either. Unless you use the other firmware that TelusFW released, but there's no real way to tell what's in that...

Nick1996

Edmonton, AB
reply to Mike_C
Yeah, it would be great if the ALUs came back. I have a Speedtouch, so I'll give the Actiontec another try, but I'll probably switch back to my custom setup. I've had the Actiontec running for about half a day now and UPnP is still working, so that's a good sign, but I know it won't stay up.

Nick1996

Edmonton, AB
reply to WhosTheBosch
said by WhosTheBosch:

I don't think the ALU firmware is any better and is even worse as it's older and not being updated either. Unless you use the other firmware that TelusFW released, but there's no real way to tell what's in that...

The ALU with out-of-date firmware generally beats a locked-down all-in-one with major UPnP and DHCP reservation problems.

Nick1996

Edmonton, AB
reply to Nick1996
I'm back on my Speedtouch because I forgot about the messed up firewall on the Actiontec not allowing SSH without a lot of tweaking. How good is the ZyXEL VSG-1432 VDSL? I'm wondering if I should trade my owned Actiontec V1000h for it. I know it doesn't have gigabit ethernet, but if it is good overall, I wouldn't hesitate to try it.

bimmerdriver

join:2010-12-10
Coquitlam, BC
reply to WhosTheBosch
True, the ALU firmware hasn't been touched by Telus forever, but at least the ALU is only a modem, not a supposed wireless router, which the Actiontec is a pretty crappy example of.

pfak
Premium
join:2002-12-29
Vancouver, BC
reply to WhosTheBosch
said by WhosTheBosch:

»Alcatel Cellpipe 7130 TJ3-65-014E modified TELUS firmware

That's the whole point of this firmware -- to update it to the same PHY as the Actiontec V1000H. You can actually see the DSL PHY that's installed in the firmware, by executing the following command via SSH on the modem:

# LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/lib/private xdslctl --version
xdslctl version 1.0
ADSL PHY: AnnexA version - A2pv6C035f.d22c
--
The more I C, the less I see.

WhosTheBosch

said by pfak:

»Alcatel Cellpipe 7130 TJ3-65-014E modified TELUS firmware

That's the whole point of this firmware -- to update it to the same PHY as the Actiontec V1000H. You can actually see the DSL PHY that's installed in the firmware, by executing the following command via SSH on the modem:

# LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/lib/private xdslctl --version
xdslctl version 1.0
ADSL PHY: AnnexA version - A2pv6C035f.d22c

Thanks, I know that was what he said he did, but I didn't know how to verify that or if anything else had changed. So is that the latest version? Are the PhyR drivers written by Broadcom or Alcatel Lucent?

nss_tech

join:2007-07-29
Edmonton AB
I'm not sure what the real benefit of putting the hacked up firmware on the ALU is. I'm running the stock firmware and it has been running perfectly for me.

Nick1996

Edmonton, AB
reply to Nick1996
So does anyone know how good Telus's new XyXEL all-in-one is?

AnonDSLGuy

@telus.net
reply to nss_tech
said by nss_tech:

I'm not sure what the real benefit of putting the hacked up firmware on the ALU is. I'm running the stock firmware and it has been running perfectly for me.

It's not a terrible firmware, but there are various bugs (ie: with SRA) in the DSL driver that have been subsequently fixed in the Actiontec and Zyxel firmware. If you have a marginal loop with background noise that frequently changes, you'll likely get better performance (less errors, fewer retrains) with the Zyxel or Actiontec gateways due to the improved firmware.

Due to the lack of firmware upgrades, the ALU Cellpipe modem has no roadmap for G.inp or G.vector support, so eventually the performance will be significantly reduced over the VDSL2 gateways. When vectoring is eventually enabled, we'll likely disable the ability of non-G.vector friendly CPE to train up, so expect no service if you're still using the Cellpipe modem.

AnonDSLGuy

@telus.net
reply to Nick1996
said by Nick1996:

The Zyxel gateway uses the same chipset as the Actiontec V1000H and ALU Cellpipe modem. Like the Actiontec V1000H, the firmware is very up to date with many DSL bugs fixed; bugs that still remain in the ALU Cellpipe firmware.

Nick1996

Edmonton, AB
said by AnonDSLGuy :

said by Nick1996:

The Zyxel gateway uses the same chipset as the Actiontec V1000H and ALU Cellpipe modem. Like the Actiontec V1000H, the firmware is very up to date with many DSL bugs fixed; bugs that still remain in the ALU Cellpipe firmware.

Thanks for the reply. On the Actiontec, UPnP constantly crashes and DHCP reservation doesn't really work. How are UPnP and DHCP reservation on the XyXEL modem?

WhosTheBosch

reply to AnonDSLGuy
said by AnonDSLGuy :

The big question is it bridgeable?

telucaster

join:2011-02-04
Chilliwack, BC
Reviews:
·TELUS
said by WhosTheBosch:

said by AnonDSLGuy :

The big question is it bridgeable?

Yes it is, I've had a Zyxel for a couple of months, bridged with a monowall router behind it. Of course you need the Verboten login and password, so I did not say this, I was not here.