All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Rudo
@173.180.20.x

Rudo

Anon

[BC] Optik TV - Ext hard drive/Additional storage to CIS430?

Once the internal 500GB storage is used up, is there any option to add additional storage?

Thanks.
Symtex
join:2005-04-06
Burnaby, BC

Symtex

The CIS430 does support external SATA storage. The second you will connect the disk, the STB will format the disk. Its not a supported feature but it works. Don't expect any support from TELUS.

Rudo
@173.180.20.x

Rudo

Anon

said by Symtex:

The CIS430 does support external SATA storage. The second you will connect the disk, the STB will format the disk. Its not a supported feature but it works. Don't expect any support from TELUS.

Thanks Symtex, this is great!

I've Telus Turbo 15.0 mbps now and I reckon they are going to provide a new modem (gonna keep my old but reliable Thompson Speedtouch), what's the best setup, so that my internet is not affected? I've my own Linksys router and wish to continue to use it.

Thanks.
titan_rw
join:2007-08-23

titan_rw to Symtex

to Symtex
said by Symtex:

The CIS430 does support external SATA storage.

Do you mean external usb storage? When you say external sata, I imagine e-sata. I don't think there's any esata ports on the 430's. (I may be wrong, I don't subscribe to telus tv.) There's the usb connection on the front though. Is that what your talking about?
pb2k
join:2005-05-30
Calgary, AB

pb2k

said by titan_rw:

said by Symtex:

The CIS430 does support external SATA storage.

Do you mean external usb storage? When you say external sata, I imagine e-sata. I don't think there's any esata ports on the 430's. (I may be wrong, I don't subscribe to telus tv.) There's the usb connection on the front though. Is that what your talking about?

Splitting hairs much? If you have an old IDE (wow, SATA is almost 10 years old!) drive kicking around, or think a flash drive is well suited, then by all means...
titan_rw
join:2007-08-23

titan_rw

said by pb2k:

Splitting hairs much? If you have an old IDE (wow, SATA is almost 10 years old!) drive kicking around, or think a flash drive is well suited, then by all means...

No, not splitting hairs. Trying to genuinely clarify what Symtex meant. esata would be the best interface for external storage imo. As fast as an internal HD, and not as complicated to interface. USB would be the most compatible, however it's not as fast, and requires extra hardware (usb to sata bridge).

If I were splitting hairs, I'd point out that (in almost all cases these days), the correct term for IDE is PATA. Drives that people refer to as 'ide' are actually just parallel ata drives. ATA being the successor to IDE, which was the successor to MFM.

I can use my 10 MEG MFM hard drive right?
Symtex
join:2005-04-06
Burnaby, BC

Symtex

The usb port in the back.