uniqs
share rss forum feed

koitsu
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
kudos:23
reply to AcidDevil

Re: [Help] Clicking sound...Possibly from Hard Drive?

Can you please install HD Tune Pro (trial version is fine; do not use the free version) and provide screenshots of the Health tab for each hard disk in your computer?

There are presently many models of hard disks which will make this "clicking" noise under normal operation. I can explain it in further detail if needed, but let's start with the above.

As far as "could it be something else" -- absolutely. It could be any number of fans in your system (CPU fan, case fans, GPU fans), or it could be something like your system heating up or cooling down causing the underlying metal and/or plastic to "click" briefly. And on some PSUs there is sometimes power-related circuitry that can make a clicking noise (I believe it's some kind of encapsulated mechanical switch inside of some component; not sure what).

Thank you.
--
Making life hard for others since 1977.
I speak for myself and not my employer/affiliates of my employer.

AcidDevil

join:2002-07-02
7th Layer
OK Koitsu,

I've installed HD Tune Pro....Which tests did you want me to run and what screen captures did you need from me?

Thanks.
--
"Give the mouse a cookie...and the motherfucker will want a glass of milk too..."

koitsu
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
kudos:23
It's in my post, first line. You do not need to run any tests.

AcidDevil

7th Layer
Click for full size
Hard Drive 1
Click for full size
Hard Drive 2
Click for full size
Hard Drive 3
Click for full size
Hard Drive 4
Here are the screenshots of each Hard Drive's health:

I see some warnings......what could you tell me?
--
"Give the mouse a cookie...and the motherfucker will want a glass of milk too..."

AcidDevil

7th Layer
Click for full size
Hard Drive 5
Click for full size
Hard Drive 6
Here are the other 2 Drives