Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Premium
join:2003-12-08
Birmingham, AL
kudos:2

[FireFox] Why have you chosen FF

My question is why did you choose Firefox?
I think Firefox is faster than other browsers, and it is more flexible as well.

Sundog
Premium
join:2003-12-12
AZ

1 recommendation

Addons. For me FF is not the fastest browser but allows me to control/enhance the net.

Racerbob
Premium
join:2001-06-24
Webster, NY
kudos:1
reply to 47717768
I was always an Internet Explorer man. But the guys who have a long running local computer show ...shameless plug coming up...called Soundbytes ... »soundbytes.org/ used to always talk about how much they liked the Firefox browser. So I started using it for a short while each day and began to get used to it and it's many features. Now I am a 100% Firefox man. Running the latest build of Version 16. I do not use a lot of plug ins and I probably should use more, but FF does what I want it to. Another thing that is a must have for me ? The bookmark side panel that I have open all the time. Chrome doesn't have this feature and FF does.
--
Obama = Epic Fail

Paolo
Mr. Wireless

join:2004-05-29
canada
ill wait til they make a 64 bit fire fox then ill start using it

Premium
Birmingham, AL
Well in this case you can try The Pale Moon »www.palemoon.org/

timcuth
Braves Fan
Premium
join:2000-09-18
Pelham, AL
Reviews:
·Charter
·AT&T Southeast
reply to Sundog
said by Sundog:

Addons. For me FF is not the fastest browser but allows me to control/enhance the net.

^^ That.

Tim

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3

1 edit
reply to 47717768
Or Waterfox ---> »waterfoxproject.org/

As far as the question from the OP, I started to use it as a co-worker of mine was talking about it. I used IE for years (up to and including Version 8) and when my friend was telling me how great Firefox was, I gave it a try. I liked how simple it was, and how "clean" of a browser it was.

While it did allow you to have a lot of extensions and lots of flexibility to change the appearance, I liked it just the way it was. I also liked that the fact that it was very easy to "backup" your configuration and settings, just by making a copy of every file in your profile. No more worrying about trying to remember all the options that you have to set on install. It keeps all that in your profile.

While I have now switched to Waterfox (I wanted a 64 bit browser) I have to thank Firefox for introducing me to Mozilla. On a side note, I also run Thunderbird as well (started to look at the other Mozilla products). I was so happy with Firefox, Thunderbird was a natural move from outlook for me.

--Brian

Santa Fe
Living With Diabetes.
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-22
Freight Yard
kudos:5
reply to Paolo
said by Paolo:

You could always try a nightly build: »ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozi ··· t-trunk/

The Win 64 installer is at the bottom. Wonder why they keep having 64 bit Nightly builds but no 64 bit release build?
--
Explore Xubuntu. Like It? Install It. [Love It]!

Someone is sabotaging me.Finding out who
Premium
join:2001-06-03
Kenner, LA

1 recommendation

reply to 47717768
Customizable, Addons, Memory Usage lower than other browsers, and it can be trusted.

Premium
Birmingham, AL

1 recommendation

I agree with you %100 on that. This is funny how many people bash Firefox by saying Firefox has the highest memory usage.

MarkRH
Premium
join:2005-02-08
Oklahoma City, OK
reply to 47717768
I started using it initially for the Tabbed Browsing environment (I was using the MyIE2 tabbed browsing shell for IE beforehand) and that it had add-ons like Firebug and Web Developer to help with making websites, checking CSS and such which IE didn't have at the time. Adblock Plus was a plus as well. Many of my co-workers were using Firefox at the time as well.

Just keep using it cause it's what I'm used to and no compelling reason to use something else.

I kept my parents on IE due to the problematic printing issues Firefox has from time to time with some sites. I think that's the one thing IE has always handled better. Even now, the Print Selection function in Firefox is less than perfect to almost non-functional on some sites.

Madness
Like a flea circus at a dog show

join:2000-01-05
Quincy, MA
reply to 47717768
Simple: It's not IE.

howardfine

join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO
Reviews:
·AT&T Southwest
reply to 47717768
In 1998, I was having problems doing stock trading online with Scottrade. They implored me to quit using it and switch to Netscape cause they said IE was such a lousy browser. So I did.

Later, I ran one of the largest airsoft games in the country and created a web site for it but nothing seemed to work according to the standards in IE. My son is a big gamer and he told me he and all his friends used Firefox (then at version 0.8). Interestingly, my "non-working" site worked great in Firefox.

People started paying me to make web sites for them and Firefox had all the tools I needed. I now have a thriving web dev business and it all started because of Firefox.

So you, too, can make millions of dollars. Just use Firefox!

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium
join:2007-08-13
Philippines
Reviews:
·PLDT
·Comcast

2 recommendations

reply to 47717768
Why did I choose Firefox? Actually it choose me, more or less.

It all started a long time ago. My first GUI browser was Mosaic. When it basically went under, I switched to Navigator. When Netscape dropped Navigator as a stand-alone, I then switched to Phoenix, I've been with Phoenix > Firebird > Firefox since.

The question for me I guess would be why are you still with Firefox. The main and foremost reason is I like it. Secondary would be the add-ons. I cant' browse without them. I have 84 extensions and 7 plugins. I also have a few Greasemonkey scripts installed. The third reason is portability, I use Firefox in four different operating systems.
--
Chris
Living in Paradise!!

timcuth
Braves Fan
Premium
join:2000-09-18
Pelham, AL
Reviews:
·Charter
·AT&T Southeast
said by chrisretusn:

The question for me I guess would be why are you still with Firefox. The main and foremost reason is I like it.

^^ That, too.

Tim
--
"Life is like this long line, except at the end there ain't no merry-go-round." - Arthur on The King of Queens
~ Project Hope ~

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium
join:2007-08-13
Philippines
Reviews:
·PLDT
·Comcast
reply to Paolo
said by Paolo:

Guess that depends on who "they" is. I've been using a 64-bit Firefox since at least May 19, 2009.
--
Chris
Living in Paradise!!

dolphins
Clean Up Our Oceans
Premium
join:2001-08-22
Westville, NJ
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Comcast

2 recommendations

reply to 47717768
Speed, security and peace of mind.

Firefox along with add-ons like NoScript, Adblock Plus and Flashblock make it an excellent first line of defense against all the internet trash out there.

I forgot how good I have it with FF until a few days ago while working on an Inspiron Mini. I reformatted it and used the default IE to get all the MS updates and also install anti-virus, firewall, etc. Wow, what a pain in the ass that was especially while using a touchpad. It came loaded with MSN as the default homepage, I was immediately bombarded with ads and popups. The MSN popups basically took over IE.
--
Stop The Mindless Killings Stop Over Fishing

Someone is sabotaging me.Finding out who
Premium
join:2001-06-03
Kenner, LA

1 recommendation

said by dolphins:

Speed, security and peace of mind.

Firefox along with add-ons like NoScript, Adblock Plus and Flashblock make it an excellent first line of defense against all the internet trash out there.

I forgot how good I have it with FF until a few days ago while working on an Inspiron Mini. I reformatted it and used the default IE to get all the MS updates and also install anti-virus, firewall, etc. Wow, what a pain in the ass that was especially while using a touchpad. It came loaded with MSN as the default homepage, I was immediately bombarded with ads and popups. The MSN popups basically took over IE.

This. You don't know how good you have it until you go back to a machine without firefox.

I hate mobile devices that can't have Firefox.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE
Reviews:
·Vonage
reply to 47717768
I didn't choose Firefox!

I started using Firebird years ago ,along with Netscape ,cause I hated I.E. so much and it just evolved.

Along with Iron,it's still a great browser if configured properly.
--
~~Go Lions....back to back Cups!!~~

dandelion
Premium,MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN
kudos:5
reply to 47717768
Like others mentioned..addons, particularly adblock and noscript.

Premium
Birmingham, AL
reply to ZZZZZZZ
Looks like to this day Firebird is still alive »www.firebirdsql.org/

ZZZZZZZ
Premium
PARADISE
That's one of the reasons they changed the name to Firefox,and also Phoenix, the original name
--

Andy from CA
Premium
join:2008-09-05
Anaheim, CA
reply to 47717768
I was working the Y2K project at TRW and after being disappointed by IE (print issues with web pages) I used their recommended Netscape and it worked much better. As you know Netscape became Firefox and I've been using it ever since though I still have Netscape 9 for nostalgia and now have Firefox 12 for necessity as well.

I've tried Opera but find it is still not ready for prime browsing.

Premium
Birmingham, AL
Yea. One thing i do not get is why so many companies enforce IE, but none of any other browsers.

kickass69

join:2002-06-03
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
I guess it's only because IE comes with Windows and it's so widely used.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium
PARADISE
Reviews:
·Vonage
reply to Andy from CA
quote:
As you know Netscape became Firefox
Not quite accurate,Netscape Navigator was the browser and all Mozilla did was copy it's engine.

The Gecko engine would later be used to power the Mozilla Foundation's Firefox browser.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ne ··· avigator
--

howardfine

join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO
Reviews:
·AT&T Southwest
Equally interesting is that Marc Andreessen wrote the original code for both IE and what is now Firefox.

When asked on Charlie Rose (PBS) why he didn't just take the original code used in IE with him when he left the university for Netscape he replied, "Cause the code is terrible!".

nwrickert
sand groper
Premium,MVM
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL
kudos:7
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to 47717768
said by 47717768:

My question is why did you choose Firefox?

I started with netscape, so it seemed natural to go with mozilla, then firefox.

I use linux a lot more than windows. Firefox and its predecessors have long been readily available there.
--
AT&T Uverse; Zyxel NBG334W router (behind the 2wire gateway); openSuSE 12.2; firefox 15.0.1

nwrickert
sand groper
Premium,MVM
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL
kudos:7
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to Paolo
said by Paolo:

I am using 64bit firefox to post this (on opensuse 12.2).
--
AT&T Uverse; Zyxel NBG334W router (behind the 2wire gateway); openSuSE 12.2; firefox 15.0.1

praetoralpha

join:2005-08-06
Pittsburgh, PA
reply to 47717768
The teacher in a programming class had Firefox installed. Only thing was that Flash wasn't installed and couldn't because of non-admin privileges. It took me a while to finally toy around with it at home, but I took a liking to it quickly after I knew everything worked (as far as Flash 'works') and it wasn't like Internet Exploder. That was around version 1.0. I think I told mom that I had changed the browser only after she had used it once; I don't think she noticed.

I will use other browsers from time to time to do just one thing (like opening another session on a site), but I can't bring myself to use the Fischer-Price browser all the cool kids are using these days.

I use Waterfox if I can, official build if I can't. Noscript, HTTPS Everywhere, Tab Mix Plus, and Firebug are my main extensions.