spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Sillicon

@comcast.net

[Rant] Comcast removes HBO and Starz HD channels

I live in San Jose, CA. I now have only 1 HBO and 1 Starz HD channels! I just noticed this! I used to have four each of these premium channels.

With every competitor of comcast adding more HD channels, comcast now gives just ONE premium channel in HD?

I spoke to a customer representative and was told, that's all you get in your area. He also recommended me to "watch Standard definition channels". I was really angry that now comcast decides whether I watch HD or SD? Why am I paying for HD then?

The other issue I have is - why was I not informed that the HD premium channel lineup was reduced to a mere unity number? As a paying customer, why was I not told of something as big as this?

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL

This has been going on around the country. Comcast has been dropping HD versions of the secondary premium channels.

There was probably notice about it. You need to check your last bill or two. If you do on-line billing, be sure to check the FULL bill, which is usually a PDF version of the paper one.

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4
reply to Sillicon

alot of places on the eat coast never had the multiple HDs. Be happy you even had them for a little while.
--
I'm better than you!

tvtek
Live life to its fullest
Premium
join:2004-03-07
Concord, CA

Then again Comcast is taking away analog channels to fit MORE HD channels. So the thinking doesn't make sense, take away analog make more room then take away HD channels too

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium
join:2008-01-06
kudos:5

Some were duplicates (East/West feeds of the same content, at different times). There was a notice about this some time back that it would start to occur for premiums.

I would rather have more variety in HD anyway. You can get all the HBO / premium movies that you would see on the HD channel on HD VOD anyway.

--
Ex-Tech at the Beach.
I speak for myself, not my former employer.

FifthE1ement
Tech Nut

join:2005-03-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

said by beachintech:

Some were duplicates (East/West feeds of the same content, at different times). There was a notice about this some time back that it would start to occur for premiums.

I would rather have more variety in HD anyway. You can get all the HBO / premium movies that you would see on the HD channel on HD VOD anyway.

No not really. None of my channels were duplicates for the premiums. And yes there was a notice like you said.

However you CANNOT get all the movies on OnDemand as you can on the regular channels. You actually get a third of the movies that you would normally see on the "normal" channels vs Comcast OnDemand. There was a person who compared every movie in one month to every movie on OnDemand a couple months back and the differences were staggering.

We pay high premiums for "premium" channels and have been reduced to the shows that make Comcast the most amount of money! Also OnDemand quality is very shoddy and pixelated vs the actual channels normally. I'm tired of paying mucho dinero for premium channels, losing the HD versions of subsequent stations but then receiving CSPAN HD in return!? WTF? And it wouldn't be as bad with HBO if Comcast allowed HBO Go via Smart TVs and Roku but they purposely block it!

/rant lol but the truth
--
"The relationship between what we see and what we know is never settled..."

tvtek
Live life to its fullest
Premium
join:2004-03-07
Concord, CA
reply to beachintech

said by beachintech:

I totally understand and have used the VOD, but it appears the VOD movies are maybe a bit more compressed vs the live feeds

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
join:2001-08-19
kudos:21
reply to Sillicon

(topic move) [Rant] Law blocks DirectTV from CC Sportsnet in Phi

Moderator Action
The post that was here (and all 1 followups to it), has been moved to a new topic .. »[Rant] Law blocks DirectTV from CC Sportsnet in Philadelphia

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
reply to tvtek

Re: [Rant] Comcast removes HBO and Starz HD channels

One issue is that even though they remove analogs, the modulators used for those channels may be old and not usable with digital HD signals (maybe too "noisy" or other issues). That means more $$$ spent replacing them. They'd rather make better use of what equipment they already have if they can.

Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

so just keep the old cable boxes and mpeg2 HD in place for a few more years.

Directv is taking about getting rid of MPEG 2 SD by 2015

With they likey only having HD mpeg 4 (no SD dupes) and SD mpeg 4 or SD only channels upscaled to HD.