Search similar:

uniqs
90115534 (banned)
Someone is sabotaging me.Finding out who
join:2001-06-03
Kenner, LA

90115534 (banned)

Java

Does anyone here not even use Java? I don't because of how much of a security risk it is.

MarkAW
Barry White
Premium Member
join:2001-08-27
Canada

MarkAW

Premium Member

I've remove java from all my computers.

dp
MVM
join:2000-12-08
Greensburg, PA

dp to 90115534

MVM

to 90115534
I also have removed Java from all my computers.

Cudni
La Merma - Vigilado
MVM
join:2003-12-20
Someshire

1 recommendation

Cudni to 90115534

MVM

to 90115534
Still in use on my comps, obviously patching as soon as and only allowing some sites to use it.

Cudni
90115534 (banned)
Someone is sabotaging me.Finding out who
join:2001-06-03
Kenner, LA

90115534 (banned) to dp

to dp
said by MarkAW:

I've remove java from all my computers.

said by dp:

I also have removed Java from all my computers.

Looks like you all followed my line of thought with Java.

I hate it.

caffeinator
Coming soon to a cup near you..
Premium Member
join:2005-01-16

caffeinator to 90115534

Premium Member

to 90115534
I haven't had Java on any of my computers since about 2004.

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
·Carry Telecom
·TekSavvy Cable
Asus GT-AX11000
Technicolor TC4400

1 recommendation

Dustyn to 90115534

Premium Member

to 90115534
I still use it and keep it updated via the Oracle.com website as they publish bleeding edge updates.
Java.com however seems to always be a version or two behind for whatever reason.
My browsers are set to prompt when wanting to activate Java on any site.
zach3
Zach
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
Saint Louis, MO

zach3 to 90115534

Premium Member

to 90115534
Is there a substitute??? I require it for some of my applications is the reason I ask.

Thanks,

Zach

Pentangle
With our thoughts we make the world.
Premium Member
join:2006-06-01
Vancouver BC

Pentangle to 90115534

Premium Member

to 90115534
I too have removed Java from my three computers and haven't noticed its absence. LibreOffice works just fine without it.

kickass69
join:2002-06-03
Lake Hopatcong, NJ

1 edit

kickass69

It's annoying how Prove It! uses Java for it's tests whenever I encounter an employer who uses them. I've had to turn down that testing because of the current security vulnerabilities as I've completely removed Java and don't plan on using it until EVERYTHING is patched not just one at a time which it seems Oracle is taking it's sweet time with pushing out.

If Oracle doesn't improve its communication with its users and ramp up the speed of patching these serious security holes...then regardless of how positive Java developers are sticking with it, I know many who will and have easily get by without it as it's one less thing to worry about and update.

Ctrl Alt Del
Premium Member
join:2002-02-18

Ctrl Alt Del to 90115534

Premium Member

to 90115534
I have Java installed but remove/disable the plugin in all my web browsers.

Java is useful as a language and platform, but has proven to suck when it's integrated into the web browser as a plugin. I program in Java and write desktop apps but no one uses Applets in the browser anymore.

howardfine
join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO

howardfine to 90115534

to 90115534
Note: Java is a programming language and the most used language in the world. It powers many of the web sites you use today behind the scenes but not in your browser.

Ctrl Alt Del
Premium Member

Ctrl Alt Del

Premium Member

said by howardfine:

It powers many of the web sites you use today behind the scenes

True. Java Servlets and JSP are very powerful and popular.
said by howardfine:

but not in your browser.

False. Java installs itself as a plugin into your web browser the exact same way Adobe Flash does. This is for displaying embedded Java Applets inside web pages.

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium Member
join:2007-08-13
Philippines

chrisretusn to 90115534

Premium Member

to 90115534
I use it. I have some excellent programs that use Java. No plans on getting rid of it either.

howardfine
Saint Louis, MO

howardfine to Ctrl Alt Del

to Ctrl Alt Del
said by Ctrl Alt Del:

said by howardfine:

but not in your browser.

False. Java installs itself as a plugin into your web browser the exact same way Adobe Flash does. This is for displaying embedded Java Applets inside web pages.

False. Java and Flash are installed by you or for you. They don't install themselves and no browser comes with them built in. Also, Java Applets are a rarity nowadays and I'd look down on any developer using them.

Ctrl Alt Del
Premium Member

Ctrl Alt Del

Premium Member

said by howardfine:

False. Java and Flash are installed by you or for you. They don't install themselves and no browser comes with them built in.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. That wasn't what I was arguing. I meant to explain that I install the Java Runtime Environment on my machines, but because the Java installer will add a Java plugin to your web browser, I go in and remove that plugin. Your quip about "It powers many of the web sites you use today behind the scenes but not in your browser." I took to mean that you were under the impression that Java was not available in the browser. And you would be incorrect, if that was what you meant. Otherwise, we're talking about something else and I'm lost.
said by howardfine:

Also, Java Applets are a rarity nowadays and I'd look down on any developer using them.

Agreed.

howardfine
Saint Louis, MO

1 recommendation

howardfine

Yeah I have a feeling we're agreeing about the same thing but tripping over the words so I won't say any more.