All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
WhosTheBosch
join:2009-12-02

WhosTheBosch to Mike_C

to Mike_C

Re: Telus Actiontec V1000h firmware

I don't think the ALU firmware is any better and is even worse as it's older and not being updated either. Unless you use the other firmware that TelusFW released, but there's no real way to tell what's in that...
Nick96
join:2012-06-04
Edmonton, AB

Nick96

said by WhosTheBosch:

I don't think the ALU firmware is any better and is even worse as it's older and not being updated either. Unless you use the other firmware that TelusFW released, but there's no real way to tell what's in that...

The ALU with out-of-date firmware generally beats a locked-down all-in-one with major UPnP and DHCP reservation problems.
bimmerdriver
join:2010-12-10
Coquitlam, BC

bimmerdriver to WhosTheBosch

to WhosTheBosch
True, the ALU firmware hasn't been touched by Telus forever, but at least the ALU is only a modem, not a supposed wireless router, which the Actiontec is a pretty crappy example of.

pfak
Premium Member
join:2002-12-29
Vancouver, BC

pfak to WhosTheBosch

Premium Member

to WhosTheBosch
said by WhosTheBosch:

»Alcatel Cellpipe 7130 TJ3-65-014E modified TELUS firmware

That's the whole point of this firmware -- to update it to the same PHY as the Actiontec V1000H. You can actually see the DSL PHY that's installed in the firmware, by executing the following command via SSH on the modem:

# LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/lib/private xdslctl --version
xdslctl version 1.0
ADSL PHY: AnnexA version - A2pv6C035f.d22c
WhosTheBosch
join:2009-12-02

WhosTheBosch

said by pfak:

»Alcatel Cellpipe 7130 TJ3-65-014E modified TELUS firmware

That's the whole point of this firmware -- to update it to the same PHY as the Actiontec V1000H. You can actually see the DSL PHY that's installed in the firmware, by executing the following command via SSH on the modem:

# LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/lib/private xdslctl --version
xdslctl version 1.0
ADSL PHY: AnnexA version - A2pv6C035f.d22c

Thanks, I know that was what he said he did, but I didn't know how to verify that or if anything else had changed. So is that the latest version? Are the PhyR drivers written by Broadcom or Alcatel Lucent?

nss_tech
join:2007-07-29
Edmonton AB

nss_tech

I'm not sure what the real benefit of putting the hacked up firmware on the ALU is. I'm running the stock firmware and it has been running perfectly for me.

AnonDSLGuy
@telus.net

AnonDSLGuy

Anon

said by nss_tech:

I'm not sure what the real benefit of putting the hacked up firmware on the ALU is. I'm running the stock firmware and it has been running perfectly for me.

It's not a terrible firmware, but there are various bugs (ie: with SRA) in the DSL driver that have been subsequently fixed in the Actiontec and Zyxel firmware. If you have a marginal loop with background noise that frequently changes, you'll likely get better performance (less errors, fewer retrains) with the Zyxel or Actiontec gateways due to the improved firmware.

Due to the lack of firmware upgrades, the ALU Cellpipe modem has no roadmap for G.inp or G.vector support, so eventually the performance will be significantly reduced over the VDSL2 gateways. When vectoring is eventually enabled, we'll likely disable the ability of non-G.vector friendly CPE to train up, so expect no service if you're still using the Cellpipe modem.