uniqs

mbernste
MVM
join:2001-06-30
Piscataway, NJ

mbernste

MVM

[iO] WPIX News Ratings Fall Precipitously During Blackout

Just read an updated story about the WPIX standoff. Looks like WPIX is really hurting. I know there's been some discussion about it here.
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4

quote:
Tuesday night might begin to alter the dynamic as the CW gets its new season going.
Nikita resumes on Friday October 19 at 9 PM EDT. I'll be getting the show via 'alternative sources' and without commercials.

mbernste
MVM
Piscataway, NJ

mbernste

MVM

said by Bob4:

getting the show via 'alternative sources' and without commercials.

You don't have to illegally download it via Bittorrent. The CW web site has all of the shows online. It won't make much of a change in the dynamic of the dispute.

ilsno
@optonline.net

ilsno

Anon

The poor folks in NW CT are being deprived of the Playoffs and possibly World Series because FOX 61 was pulled. No one really cares about PIX-11. Just bring back Antenna TV !

mbernste
MVM
Piscataway, NJ

mbernste

MVM

said by ilsno :

The poor folks in NW CT are being deprived of the Playoffs and possibly World Series

I think it's probably going to be streamed on MLB.TV or Cablevision will find a legal alternative way of providing the World Series.
Bob4
Account deleted
New Jersey

Bob4

Forget the World Series. I just want to watch hockey.

mbernste
MVM
Piscataway, NJ

mbernste

MVM

said by Bob4:

Forget the World Series. I just want to watch hockey.

WPIX or not, that's probably not happening for a while.

NJBoricua75
Born And Raised
join:2000-09-13
Brooklyn, NY

NJBoricua75 to ilsno

to ilsno
said by ilsno :

The poor folks in NW CT are being deprived of the Playoffs and possibly World Series because FOX 61 was pulled. No one really cares about PIX-11. Just bring back Antenna TV !

Exactly. I miss Antenna TV But I'm glad CV is not caving in. This B.S. has to stop and I hope sends a message to the other networks.

kickass69
join:2002-06-03
Lake Hopatcong, NJ

kickass69

Since Cablevision gave in on the Fox and ABC disputes in the past couple of years and just recently negotiated a new deal with CBS, I'm not so sure it will. CV would need to act like this with all of them in order for this to be more than a one time deal. The only reason CV is not budging is because WPIX has little to offer in terms of content people care about and thus few people are complaining.

When Fox and ABC went off, people were complaining left and right.
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

Right.

WPIX does not have much power.

No one misses it much.
Bob4
Account deleted
New Jersey

Bob4

Channel 11 carried the Yankees for close to 50 years.
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

But now they carry the Mets....

ilsno
@optonline.net

ilsno

Anon

WPIX carries trashy daytime talk, a newscast that can be found on about 10 other outlets and a prime time schedule whose target audience is teenagers. No one I know particularly misses it. Theres been more outrage over FOX 61 and Antenna TV than WPIX.

Pirate515
Premium Member
join:2001-01-22
Brooklyn, NY

Pirate515 to mbernste

Premium Member

to mbernste
said by mbernste:

said by Bob4:

getting the show via 'alternative sources' and without commercials.

You don't have to illegally download it via Bittorrent. The CW website has all of the shows online. It won't make much of a change in the dynamic of the dispute.

Technically, if CW decide to be real pricks, they can blacklist CV's IP range, making it impossible to watch anything off their website when connected via OOL. But then again, that will send even more people to "alternative sources".
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704 to ilsno

Premium Member

to ilsno
And their 10:00 pm newscast has never been as popular (or as good) as Channel 5 or even Channel 9.

mbernste
MVM
Piscataway, NJ

mbernste to Pirate515

MVM

to Pirate515
said by Pirate515:

Technically, if CW decide to be real pricks, they can blacklist CV's IP range, making it impossible to watch anything off their website when connected via OOL.

This was attempted by Hulu during the Fox dispute. It lasted a very short period of time when investor Comcast chimed in. The last thing you want is a fight with the 900 lb gorilla in the cable television industry. It also brings up a whole debate about net neutrality issue and can have the government on Tribune's tush faster than you can spell FCC.
EO50
join:2005-01-23
united state

EO50 to mbernste

to mbernste
If I didn't read the news, I wouldn't even know it was missing.

Wyldfox
join:2002-01-26
Milford, CT

Wyldfox to mbernste

to mbernste
Called support for a different reason today, and we started to talk about Cable v. Tribune. Apparently there is no closer settlement. He said that Tribune wants the channels they've taken from us to be pay channels like HBO....and I'm quoting him. They're CRAZY!

mbernste
MVM
Piscataway, NJ

mbernste

MVM

said by Wyldfox:

He said that Tribune wants the channels they've taken from us to be pay channels like HBO....and I'm quoting him.

He's not exactly correct. CBS, NBC, etc charge Cablevision a fee to be permitted to retransmit their signal under retransmission consent rules. Up until now, Tribune offered their channels under the "must carry" rules, which offered the channel to Cablevision for free. They are just switching over to retransmission consent so that they can charge a fee for Cablevision's privilege to retransmit their signal. While the cost amounts to usually only a few cents per subscriber, it adds up to a large sum of money for Cablevision. From what the rep made it out to be, is that WPIX was to be a premium channel, this is incorrect.

limegrass69
No Whammies
join:2008-05-28

limegrass69

said by mbernste:

He's not exactly correct. CBS, NBC, etc charge Cablevision a fee to be permitted to retransmit their signal under retransmission consent rules. Up until now, Tribune offered their channels under the "must carry" rules, which offered the channel to Cablevision for free. They are just switching over to retransmission consent so that they can charge a fee for Cablevision's privilege to retransmit their signal. While the cost amounts to usually only a few cents per subscriber, it adds up to a large sum of money for Cablevision. From what the rep made it out to be, is that WPIX was to be a premium channel, this is incorrect.

I guess you could say that, but it's sort of splitting hairs. What amount of payment from Cablevision to Tribune (or anyone else) would then, in your eyes, make it a premium channel? It's all in how it's packaged, right?

Pirate515
Premium Member
join:2001-01-22
Brooklyn, NY

Pirate515 to Wyldfox

Premium Member

to Wyldfox
said by Wyldfox:

Called support for a different reason today, and we started to talk about Cablevision vs. Tribune. Apparently there is no closer settlement. He said that Tribune wants the channels they've taken from us to be pay channels like HBO...and I'm quoting him. They're CRAZY!

One of my co-workers heard something similar. Allegedly, if they cannot come to an agreement within a month or so, Cablevision will indeed bring it back as a la carte subscription, so those who REALLY want it back and are willing to pay for it will be able to get it. Hopefully the extremely low subscriber numbers will drive the point across, especially when most if not all of their content is available by other means for free and legally.

NJBoricua75
Born And Raised
join:2000-09-13
Brooklyn, NY

NJBoricua75

said by Pirate515:

said by Wyldfox:

Called support for a different reason today, and we started to talk about Cablevision vs. Tribune. Apparently there is no closer settlement. He said that Tribune wants the channels they've taken from us to be pay channels like HBO...and I'm quoting him. They're CRAZY!

One of my co-workers heard something similar. Allegedly, if they cannot come to an agreement within a month or so, Cablevision will indeed bring it back as a la carte subscription, so those who REALLY want it back and are willing to pay for it will be able to get it. Hopefully the extremely low subscriber numbers will drive the point across, especially when most if not all of their content is available by other means for free and legally.

Oh man I'm so pissed. I didn't care for WPIX but I loved Antenna TV. I'm thinking about picking up one of those cheap ass indoor antennas from Radio Shack. Will that do? Anyone have experience with them? Will it be able to pull a strong enough ATSC signal? I live in a building. I'm sad. I want my Antenna TV back

mbernste
MVM
Piscataway, NJ

mbernste to limegrass69

MVM

to limegrass69
Well, there's "basic cable" and then there's "premium cable." This wouldn't put WPIX in premium, if anything I would think it would still be included in the lowest tier, broadcast basic.
mbernste

mbernste to NJBoricua75

MVM

to NJBoricua75
Assuming that your TV has a QAM tuner, I'd say you'd have a very good shot at picking it up from Brooklyn. If your building is old enough, it might still have an antenna on the roof and it might just be a matter of connecting your TV to the antenna connection in your apartment.

limegrass69
No Whammies

limegrass69

You could also look into something like »www.aereo.com to obtain missing broadcast TV signals.

Wyldfox
Milford, CT

Wyldfox to mbernste

to mbernste
said by mbernste:

said by Wyldfox:

He said that Tribune wants the channels they've taken from us to be pay channels like HBO....and I'm quoting him.

WPIX and FOX

mbernste
MVM
Piscataway, NJ

mbernste

MVM

said by Wyldfox:

WPIX and FOX

Not Fox per se, but rather Tribune owned WTIC which is a Fox affiliate. The dispute is with Tribune, not the networks.

Wyldfox
Milford, CT

Wyldfox

You're correct, WTIC Fox. I did have NY Fox, but they decided to take it. Now if I want to watch something I have to take a 10 min. drive to a friend in Bridgeport that gets NY Fox (5), and would also get WTIC if it was working. If Bridgeport gets Fox for free, then it's time I leave Cable after many years...but I've had it with the games. At least some of the shows I'm missing on WTIC do show up on Free On Demand....but not sure for how long that will happen.

limegrass69
No Whammies

limegrass69

said by Wyldfox:

You're correct, WTIC Fox. I did have NY Fox, but they decided to take it. Now if I want to watch something I have to take a 10 min. drive to a friend in Bridgeport that gets NY Fox (5), and would also get WTIC if it was working. If Bridgeport gets Fox for free, then it's time I leave Cable after many years...but I've had it with the games. At least some of the shows I'm missing on WTIC do show up on Free On Demand....but not sure for how long that will happen.

The "they" that decided to take away WNYW Fox 5 was actually WTIC-TV, not Cablevision. You should contact WTIC-TV and let them know that you're unhappy about that.

Wyldfox
Milford, CT

Wyldfox

I did that when they first took away WNYW. They don't care. That was like taking a part of my TV years...born and raised in NYC. I really didn't care about WTIC, but had no choice. I shouldn't have moved to Milford. Bridgeport also gets Long Island channels that I never got here. I knew I should have stayed in Bridgeport.