spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jfaster

join:2012-10-07

Gen 4: HT1000 Download Allowance Status

The Download Allowance Status for the HT1000 is shown as a pie graph directly on the first page of the HT1000 System Control Center page. The download status is also presented as a rolling amount, which is useful in some ways, but not so much in others. If it constantly "refills," how can I tell how much I've actually used?

We're five days in to our month and, while I'm thrilled with the increase in speed and generally feel comfortable with the by-the-month allowance, I'd like to be able to tell my family that yes, they can watch an occasional Netflix-streamed show, but to limit it to X hours of watching per week. Unfortunately, I have yet to solve for X.

If there's an actual-usage meter, I'm missing it and would love to know of it (of course you can go the check-usage page via the Hughes site, but that's not the same). If there isn't, I'm hoping Hughes or a third party will make available some sort of monitor app that will show the actual usage in terms of the percentage of the monthly allowance used--something like the old bar graph from the HN9000 page.

Am I missing something? Does anyone know if there's an alternate view of monthly usage available?

PCsongBird

join:2006-12-07
Hawthorne, FL

3 edits

jfaster. The HT1000 has no "refill" as such as you go. On that page in the SCC there is a pie graph with the percentage given. It is for the "month" which is actually 30 days. It states how many days until your refill as your meter moves downward, in days, hours, & mins. It's not hard to use the percentage to see where you should be for say the first 7.5 days (25%) of usage. Example, if you are on the 20,000 MB plan, divide that by 30 days, and you theoretically get 666.66 MB/ day, if you wish to use it that way. The same would apply for the 2-8AM "bonus bytes" bucket, as it is the same as your "daytime" bucket, and in this case another 666.66 MB. The advantage here is that if don't use every bit every single day, you can build up (and not lose) the left overs, and use them for something larger if you need them later...or watch more movies at the end of your "month." It does take some getting used to though. But it's really not that hard to glance at that meter and the pie chart and see where you are with it as you go. Hope that helps.
PS... On the Jupiter speed test site are links for things like data used history, logged speed test results, etc.
--
HN9000/Elite/94°57'W:Spaceway3/.74m/1w/Dual 3.2G P4 4G DDR2 Rackmount (Pro Tools Computer)- Toshiba Satellite 5105 - HP Pavilion dv7 i7 6G DDR3/D-Link wired/WinXP-Pro-SP3 & Win7 64bit/Firefox 2/IE 8/Opera 10

Hughes

@216.150.191.x
reply to jfaster

Yes, theres another way tp view your usage..all you have to is log on to this site my.hughesnet.com and you will be redirected to Customer Management Center where you can view your usage and at the same check your daily downloads,.

by the way, you have to register an email address first if you havent registered one

dbirdman
Premium,MVM
join:2003-07-07
usa
kudos:5

I can't promise anything (due to being rather busy these days), but I am willing to spend a bit of time to see what might be done with hnFAPalert (possibles include just showing what is left, or showing what was used in the last 24 hours, etc.)

In order to start on that, since it is unlikely I will ever see an HT1000, I need someone to send me the source for the allowance page.
--
Motosat self-pointing dishes: 1.2-meter XF-3 on 93W, .74 meter G74 on 127W, SL-5 HD DirecTV|idirect 3100|Hughes HN7000S|Verizon UMW190 Air Card|1990 Blue Bird Wanderlodge Bus "Blue Thunder"|Author of hnFAP-Alert, PC-OPI and DSSatTool

jfaster

reply to PCsongBird

Yes, it's the pie chart I've been talking about, and no, it SHOULDN'T be that hard. My pie chart shows we've got 25 days and just over 2 hours to go in the month*. But the percentage keeps resetting/refilling to 100%. If it behaved as you describe, I would have no problem with it, but it doesn't. This morning it said 100% despite the fact that we have used the service daily since installation on the second. Right now it says 95% because my daughter and I just streamed a TV show. By morning that will be up to 99 or 100% again; in fact, in the time it's taken me to write this, the allowance remaining now shows one MORE megabyte, rather than less.

So please confirm that the pie chart for your system reflects actual usage. If so, then the "rolling" behavior I thought I saw is instead some sort of bug and I should contact customer service (sounds silly to complain about getting reset to 100% every day, but I'd hate to get dropped to 10% halfway through the month when they notice the problem).

You also made me think of another question. Where can one monitor the usage of bonus bytes?

*huh, that's weird in itself since the info page says our up time is 5 days, six and a half hours. That definitely adds up to more than 30 days.

jfaster

reply to dbirdman

Thanks dbirdman. It sounds like the system is actually supposed to work in a more logical fashion than it has been doing for me, so hopefully you won't need to do this, but the offer is greatly appreciated.

PCsongBird

join:2006-12-07
Hawthorne, FL
reply to jfaster

jfaster, I see what you are referring to now, and calling "the roll over." It is not a "roll over." Hughes is still tweaking the system and the meters, and some indeed are seeing it refill again & again, every so often right now.. Enjoy that while you can, and consider it a plus, because at some point your bucket will start draining normally. The bonus bytes are coming, but have not yet been pushed through, but I am sure will be there in the future. Enjoy the 2-8AM time un-metered at the moment. Trust me, one day you will wake up and notice your "daytime" meter going down and not refilling over and over, then come and read my post again and see if it makes sense. The system is still very new, and there are still things to work out as it goes, and retro testing going on.
--
HN9000/Elite/94°57'W:Spaceway3/.74m/1w/Dual 3.2G P4 4G DDR2 Rackmount (Pro Tools Computer)- Toshiba Satellite 5105 - HP Pavilion dv7 i7 6G DDR3/D-Link wired/WinXP-Pro-SP3 & Win7 64bit/Firefox 2/IE 8/Opera 10

C0RR0SIVE

join:2012-06-19
Salvisa, KY

1 edit
reply to jfaster

Some users are seeing resets as part of a test, a lot of users had resets multiple times in one day, while others haven't seen a single reset of daily usage. Why this testing is going on is beyond me, I guess they are making sure the system can reset as required?

If you REALLY want to monitor your bandwidth, make sure your router supports SNMP, get networx, and have networx point to your router WAN port for network traffic and log it all.

Aside from that, go by what your modem is reporting IMO, as it is your modem that reports to HN what you have used, and is what decides when you are in a FAP state.

@dbirdman, it may be a bit difficult to build hnfapalert for the HT1000, as it doesn't have a download allowance page alone like older systems do, it's tied into the main page for the system control center... I could send you the scripts I can see and let you see if you can figure anything out? A lot of java stuff, that's for sure. Aside from that, I am unsure of what to send other than the main page source that I can view, along with the java scripts that I can see.

jfaster

reply to jfaster

Thanks, PCsongBird and Corrosive, for the info regarding tests. I will indeed simply enjoy the resets while they last, trusting the modem report, but I'll keep a close eye for when the draining becomes normal.

dbirdman
Premium,MVM
usa
reply to C0RR0SIVE

said by C0RR0SIVE:

@dbirdman, it may be a bit difficult to build hnfapalert for the HT1000, as it doesn't have a download allowance page alone like older systems do, it's tied into the main page for the system control center... I could send you the scripts I can see and let you see if you can figure anything out? A lot of java stuff, that's for sure. Aside from that, I am unsure of what to send other than the main page source that I can view, along with the java scripts that I can see.

It doesn't sound like there is any point to trying to build something until they stabilize it to a consistent behavior.
--
Motosat self-pointing dishes: 1.2-meter XF-3 on 93W, .74 meter G74 on 127W, SL-5 HD DirecTV|idirect 3100|Hughes HN7000S|Verizon UMW190 Air Card|1990 Blue Bird Wanderlodge Bus "Blue Thunder"|Author of hnFAP-Alert, PC-OPI and DSSatTool

chances_are

join:2012-02-03
Manchester, KY
reply to jfaster

said by jfaster:

The Download Allowance Status for the HT1000 is shown as a pie graph directly on the first page of the HT1000 System Control Center page. The download status is also presented as a rolling amount, which is useful in some ways, but not so much in others. If it constantly "refills," how can I tell how much I've actually used?

We're five days in to our month and, while I'm thrilled with the increase in speed and generally feel comfortable with the by-the-month allowance, I'd like to be able to tell my family that yes, they can watch an occasional Netflix-streamed show, but to limit it to X hours of watching per week. Unfortunately, I have yet to solve for X.

If there's an actual-usage meter, I'm missing it and would love to know of it (of course you can go the check-usage page via the Hughes site, but that's not the same). If there isn't, I'm hoping Hughes or a third party will make available some sort of monitor app that will show the actual usage in terms of the percentage of the monthly allowance used--something like the old bar graph from the HN9000 page.

Am I missing something? Does anyone know if there's an alternate view of monthly usage available?

Yes there is an alternate way to view monthly usage.."Digital Life Now" which is a pain in the a** it comes with tool's and other stuff.. the other one is Just a status meter.. »my.hughesnet.com/ login, & look on the side for Tools Quicklaunch Click Download Status Meter

Highlander

@direcway.com

It is doing the same thing the old system did, say you used 100mb of the 450 before it would slowly rebuild it if you didn't use alot of bandwidth, this is the way it has worked for years, and it is carrying over, i guess it rebuilds faster now that there is more bandwidth, and if you use a few mb of 20gb it is just a small percentage it recovers quickly

dbirdman
Premium,MVM
usa

said by Highlander :

It is doing the same thing the old system did, say you used 100mb of the 450 before it would slowly rebuild it if you didn't use alot of bandwidth, this is the way it has worked for years, and it is carrying over, i guess it rebuilds faster now that there is more bandwidth, and if you use a few mb of 20gb it is just a small percentage it recovers quickly

It may be working that way, but it is NOT supposed to work that way, and it is likely that, if you count on the behavior continuing it will come around and bite you eventually.

Exede did similar stuff for a few months post-launch, and it may well be deliberate on the part of Hughes.
--

Highlander

@direcway.com

That, i am not sure if it will continue, but i was explained to by a hughes net employee that after you use so much bandwidth it goes into recovery mode, since we had 450 mb it took 24 hours or less to rebuild, but having 20gb using only a few hundred mbs it takes less time to rebuild, it would be nice if it would continue, as long as you dont use a ton of bandwidth its almost unlimited, but we will see

C0RR0SIVE88

@direcway.com

The meter resetting every few hours for SOME is just testing, nothing more. It will NOT do a "refill" unless you buy a token, or hit your monthly billing period. So don't get used to your allowance going from 95% to 100% out of no where with Gen4.

newcustomer

@direcway.com
reply to jfaster

It's doing the same thing for me. I can understand that it's just being tested/tweaked, I just wanted to make sure my real allowance is resetting and not just what the modem reports.. because if I'm gonna keep going to 100% everyday temporarily, i'm gonna start streaming some netflix pronto!

dbirdman
Premium,MVM
usa

I'm pretty sure it is real enough. The question is "Are there ANY Gen4 users not seeing the reset?"

Du Hu

@direcway.com
reply to jfaster

Solving for X was not meant to be solved. This is why when you blow up your download allowance on day 15, it will cost you $8 for each additional 1 GB of allowance.

Another point to make about these Crooks .... Go to the Gen 4 website and see how long it take to find the cost for extra download allowance. I bet most consumers won't be able to find it! LOL

Consumers need to wise up!

A Tech

join:2008-11-10
reply to jfaster

said by jfaster:

I'd like to be able to tell my family that yes, they can watch an occasional Netflix-streamed show, but to limit it to X hours of watching per week.

Hughes Reps have advised that Netflix is the least efficient way to get video via the net. i.e. average movie if 5 gb verus 750 mb else where.

waytim

join:2011-12-01
Sterling, MI
reply to jfaster

I did download a total of 8 gigs in one sitting, and 20 mins later my allowance did indeed go back up to 100%, and it even says it will refill in 17 hours for the new month. This is only day 2!

TexasRebel

join:2011-05-29
Edgewood, TX
reply to jfaster

3 weeks of having it and I've probably downloaded 75GB of data. As long as it keeps resetting, I going to make use of it.

dbirdman
Premium,MVM
usa
reply to C0RR0SIVE88

Sara, from Hughes, finally made an "official" post on this matter today, which reads "I apologize for the delayed response: at this time Gen4 systems' download allowance resets in a daily basis. Enjoy."
--
Motosat self-pointing dishes: .74 meter G74 on 127W, SL-5 HD DirecTV|Hughes HN7000S|Verizon UMW190 Air Card|1990 Blue Bird Wanderlodge Bus "Blue Thunder"|Author of hnFAP-Alert, PC-OPI and DSSatTool

newcustomer

@boingboing.net

Wow, I was actually afraid their official statement would be "Sorry for the problem it will be fixed immediately." Mostly because I'm sure anyone who signed up with the higher allowance plan would be pretty upset and would want to be moved down a tier for the time being.. Oh well, crossing my fingers hoping it lasts for another 23 months.

TexasRebel

Edgewood, TX
reply to dbirdman

if the economy tanks, they'll likely have to leave it that way to keep the customers that have.

dbirdman
Premium,MVM
usa

said by TexasRebel:

if the economy tanks, they'll likely have to leave it that way to keep the customers that have.

If you can accurately predict the direction of the economy you have a bright future ahead of you (and should become very wealthy if you have the resources to make bets on your predictions). Otherwise, they are simply doing the same thing that Exede did - it costs virtually nothing to allow access to a sparsely populated network, and it ensures a happy early customer satisfaction.
--
Motosat self-pointing dishes: .74 meter G74 on 127W, SL-5 HD DirecTV|Hughes HN7000S|Verizon UMW190 Air Card|1990 Blue Bird Wanderlodge Bus "Blue Thunder"|Author of hnFAP-Alert, PC-OPI and DSSatTool

TexasRebel

Edgewood, TX

I'm going on what all the top economists keep saying.. The US dollar is done.. Just a matter of time before it drops like a rock and the US economy becomes like Wiemar, Germany in 1933. I'm actually surprised they've managed to keep it going this long..

dbirdman
Premium,MVM
usa

said by TexasRebel:

I'm going on what all the top economists keep saying.

No, sorry. We probably will get moderated for getting political, but I can tell you with certainty that the statement above means you have accepted someone's hand-picked and biased list of economists as somehow being all the top ones.

I suspect even the true top economists don't agree on who "all the top economists" are, but no comprehensive list will find ANY agreement on the direction of the dollar, the economy, or much of anything else. They are as divided in opinion as the rest of us.

Did you notice back in the spring when the price of gas started up that there were "top economists" predicting $6 per gallon after Memorial Day? Did you notice after the price started to drop in May that there were "top economists" predicting that the bottom would fall out of oil? Did you notice how "top economists" often seem to predict that, whatever the trend of the moment is, it will continue? And have to backpedal furiously?

They are as bad as the weather guessers on anything further out than 2 weeks.
--