spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

v12v9

join:2008-09-18

[General] Free incoming calls/ DID other than Callcentric?

We all know about the despicable attacks Callcentric was victim of.
It prompted me to seek a back-up solution.

Last two days: I have looked at/ signed-up with voip.ms, voipcheap, Anveo and a couple more.

I use either a Samsung Galaxy S III (GT-I9300) which supports VoIP with a native SIP client.
Or an iPhone 4S running the latest version of Acrobits Groundwire.

This is when connected to WiFi only, office or home, both FiOS with 30/30.

I cannot seem to find anyone but Callcentric offering free incoming calls (CC has free DIDs). Does anyone know of any other VoIP provider that does?
Away from Google Voice which isn't really a VoIP proposition.

PX Eliezer7
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms

1 edit

Well, there is IPKall which has free DID's from Washington State.

IPKall does not register directly to a device.

You would forward the IPKall number to an account at CallCentric, Voip.MS, CallWithUs, GetOnSip, sip2sip, Ekiga.net, etc.

It's basically SIP URI forwarding but IPKall is doing it for you.

It's a free service; they provide no support. But it's been around a long time and mostly works. They make their money from receiving interconnection fees.

------------------

BTW:
When providing them with your e-mail address, you need one that:

a) Is not totally junk, use something better than GuerrillaMail.
b) But do NOT use a valuable address that would be a problem if you got a lot of spam.

----------------------------------

EDIT:
Also see comments below on free numbers from CheapVoip.

v12v9

I have used IPKall the past. I didn't have a good call quality most times so I stopped. Most of my calls are business related. The latency is killer.

Dan_voip

join:2007-01-03
Saint-Hubert, QC
kudos:4

Another option is Cheap Voip.

steve1111

join:2009-09-23
New York, NY
reply to v12v9

Localphone offers DIDs for $1 per month. It isn't free, but it is cheap.

nonymous
Premium
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ
reply to v12v9

No 911 on localphone but call quality is good.

crazyk4952
Premium
join:2002-02-04
united state
kudos:1
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
·Vitelity VOIP
·Charter
·Callcentric
reply to v12v9

said by v12v9:

I have used IPKall the past. I didn't have a good call quality most times so I stopped. Most of my calls are business related. The latency is killer.

I have been using IPKall for over a year and my experience has been just the opposite. I am actually quite impressed at the call quality and it has been surprisingly reliable. I use it for personal use and I don't think I would trust something that is free for business use.

PX Eliezer7
Premium
Hutt River
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms
reply to v12v9

As Dan_Voip said above, CheapVoip which is a sister company to FutureNine said they would be offering free numbers starting October 1st, in several northeast states.

You have to sign up for a free account to get details, AFAIK.

»www.prweb.com/releases/September···0862.htm
»www.cheapvoipinc.com/

There is said to be a $ 10 startup fee.

I am sorry I forgot that in my earlier post.

dutchtender

join:2010-11-21
New York, NY
reply to v12v9

just looking at the larger trend here. the price of DIDs seems to be going down to very little per month. this will accelerate if forwarding services such as google voice take hold.

v12v9

reply to steve1111

Thanks. Didn't know about these guys. There is a $3 set-up fee for a DID.

v12v9

reply to nonymous

Forgot to mention, don't need E911.

v12v9

reply to crazyk4952

What is your set-up with IPKall: does it forward to GV, a PSTN # another VoIP DID? I used it with a GV # which then rung a DID at Callcentric in my case. Perhaps I had too many layers. Note: free/ paying doesn't correlate as well as one would think with quality. Though, in broad strokes, sure, you are right.

v12v9

reply to Dan_voip

Just signed up. Pocking around. I think the free DIDs must be gone. Don't see a way to get one. Wrote to their customer service.

PX Eliezer7
Premium
Hutt River
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms
reply to v12v9

said by v12v9:

What is your set-up with IPKall: does it forward to GV, a PSTN # another VoIP DID?

As I wrote above:

IPKall does not register directly to a device.

You would forward the IPKall number to an account at CallCentric, Voip.MS, CallWithUs, GetOnSip, sip2sip, Ekiga.net, etc.

It's basically SIP URI forwarding but IPKall is doing it for you.

Why not sign up---its free---and see for yourself.
»phone.ipkall.com/

If you do use an IPKall number, be sure to put it on the Do Not Call list. And the number has to be used regularly otherwise they will reclaim it.

crazyk4952
Premium
join:2002-02-04
united state
kudos:1
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
·Vitelity VOIP
·Charter
·Callcentric
reply to v12v9

said by v12v9:

What is your set-up with IPKall: does it forward to GV, a PSTN # another VoIP DID? I used it with a GV # which then rung a DID at Callcentric in my case. Perhaps I had too many layers. Note: free/ paying doesn't correlate as well as one would think with quality. Though, in broad strokes, sure, you are right.

It forwards to my voip.ms SIP address and rings an IP phone.

I have had a terrible experience forwarding DIDs to/from a Google Voice number. It introduced too much latency and made things unreliable.

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
kudos:2
reply to PX Eliezer7

1. If I signed to IPKall number, pointing to one SIP account, can I change it to point to another one later on?

2. Do they support SIP services with DNS SRV records?
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

N9MD
Too busy to chat
Premium
join:2005-10-08
Boca Raton, FL
kudos:5
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Callcentric
·VOIPO
·CIKTEL Telecom

2 recommendations

said by OZO:

1. If I signed to IPKall number, pointing to one SIP account, can I change it to point to another one later on?

2. Do they support SIP services with DNS SRV records?

1. Yes! You can change the forwarding at will ... by going to the »www.ipkall.com home page and entering your 10-digit IK DID (without dashes) and your 4-digit Password. That will bring up your current settings ... SIP-Proxy & User ID ... which take moments to change ... but there's no reason to change your email address (or password) unless you've been getting spam.

2. IpKall is blind to your adapter/softphone settings ... since IpKall is simply forwarding incoming calls to whatever SIP-Proxy and User-ID you've entered. So, DNS SRV doesn't enter into the equation on the IpKall side.

Incidentally, if you are using CallCentric as your end-point, be sure to use in.callcentric.com as the SIP-Proxy on the IK site ... and callcentric.com (without the in.) as the SIP-Proxy and Outbound Proxy on your adapter/softphone. And with CallCentric, you do want to set the Use DNS SRV and DNS SRV Auto Prefix parameters to yes.

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
kudos:2

Thank you, N9MD See Profile. I'll try it

hszeto

join:2002-06-05
reply to PX Eliezer7

said by PX Eliezer7:

It's a free service; they provide no support.

IPKall does provide timely support at IPKall Support Forum at Voxilla.

said by PX Eliezer7:

When providing them with your e-mail address, you need one that:

a) Is not totally junk, use something better than GuerrillaMail.
b) But do NOT use a valuable address that would be a problem if you got a lot of spam.

We provided an unique e-mail address for each DID sign-up, no spam whatsoever.

hszeto

reply to v12v9

We have been utilizing free DIDs from IPKall for business for at least half decade. Past three years have been excellent!

hszeto

reply to v12v9

VoxOx in addition to free DID, free call forwarding or simultaneously ringing to DID(s) in Canada and United States, free iNum DID too.

PX Eliezer7
Premium
Hutt River
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms
reply to hszeto

said by hszeto:

said by PX Eliezer7:

I'm just going by what they say.

We don't sell equipment or service, there is no charge for registering or for connecting your calls to IP, and we do NOT provide any customer service.

»phone.ipkall.com/

I guess they consider the Voxilla forum to be informal help....

N9MD
Too busy to chat
Premium
join:2005-10-08
Boca Raton, FL
kudos:5
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Callcentric
·VOIPO
·CIKTEL Telecom

said by PX Eliezer7:

said by hszeto:

said by PX Eliezer7:

I'm just going by what they say.

...we do NOT provide any customer service.

»phone.ipkall.com/

I guess they consider the Voxilla forum to be informal help....

One of the high mucky-mucks from IpKall maintains a strong presence in the Voxilla Forum .... giving timely and helpful responses to IpKall questions. I recently learned this when I was researching the use of IpKall forwarding to a GetOnSip.com SIP-URI. [I still haven't quite gotten this arrangement to work.]

willcarter

join:2012-10-10
reply to v12v9

I use flowroute. They seem to have things together and work well with my LNPs. I'd at lets give them a look before jumping to something new to fast.