Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Widmark

join:2012-10-07
San Francisco, CA

[TWC] Question regarding running Motorola SBG6580 in Bridge Mode

said by apanihi1:

After talking to 3 different reps at level 3 tier support for TWC (1-866-508-1157) and being told that "bridge mode is not supported" and told other lies, I gave up and fixed it on my own. Basically what they refuse to tell you is that the modem has 2 MAC Addresses, 1 for the actual modem (WAN MAC) and 1 for the internal router (LAN MAC). They provision the MAC address (LAN MAC) of the internal router to have access on their network and any other MAC Address such as that of your PC or router, will simply not work.

When you enable bridging mode and turn the device into a cable modem, you're then passing along your computers and/or routers MAC Address

-Advanced -> Options -> Rg Passthrough -> Enable
-Copy and save the LAN Mac Address from the Basic > Configuration Section
-Advanced -> Options -> Passthrough Mac Addresses -> Add LAN MAC Address of the SBG6580 Found in the Basic > Configuration section.

You should now be online with the Motorola SBG6580 into Bridge mode and you can use your own router to forward ports correctly or directly connect it to your PC and configure your firewall.

I have 2 MAC addresses for my Cisco router... A LAN and a WAN (called internal and Internet MAC addresses). Which one to enter? I used the internal/LAN address.

I have not entered the cable modem MAC address as this seemed illogical to have the device acknowledge and passthrough itself, when bridge mode should already do this? I ask bc I read a blogpost where they referenced only passing through the router MAC address.

Also, re: -Advanced -> Options -> Rg Passthrough -> Enable

Should all the other boxes on this page be unchecked? Currently I have all but UPnP checked, which was default from TWC. Thanks.

Aaron M

join:2002-03-01
Monrovia, CA

Re: [TWC] Question regarding running Motorola SBG6580 in Bridge

What software version is your modem running?

With the latest version SBG6580-3.5.8.2-GA-00-488-NOSH you no longer need to mess with passthrough.

Widmark

San Francisco, CA

said by Aaron M:

What software version is your modem running?

With the latest version SBG6580-3.5.8.2-GA-00-488-NOSH you no longer need to mess with passthrough.

Running SBG6580-3.3.1.0-GA-09-058-NOSH

I just swapped this modem for a D2 modem a week ago. I suppose no way for me to force the software upgrade... am I at the mercy of TWC to update it?

Aaron M

Monrovia, CA
reply to Widmark

You can reboot(click configuration on left side, then reboot button) the modem, and when it reinitializes on the network it might grab the new software.

Widmark

San Francisco, CA

said by Aaron M:

You can reboot(click configuration on left side, then reboot button) the modem, and when it reinitializes on the network it might grab the new software.

Thanks. How can you tell if it is in the process of updating? I looked at the log and after rebooting it still shows old firmware and in the event log, no sign of a firmware update download.

Aaron M

Monrovia, CA

Sounds like the latest software hasn't been pushed to your area yet.

There is a thread on this here: »Just got a new firmware on my SBG6580!

If I remember correctly I used my router's WAN address, and left all boxes at default.

I used this how-to: »gist.github.com/1130675