All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
sofakng3
join:2007-08-25
Kingston, PA

sofakng3

Does Comcast offer self-install for TV service?

I'm currently a Comcast Business (internet) subscriber so I already have lines run to my house.

It's my understanding that the same line to carry residential services also carries business services.

So... can I just go to my local Comcast office, subscriber to residential TV service and take a cable card home with me?

According to Comcast's live chat they said no and I need to schedule installation, etc, etc.

I do see self-install links on various parts of Comcast's website so what's going on here?

Thanks for any help!

gar187er
I DID this for a living
join:2006-06-24
Seattle, WA

gar187er

the same line can, but most places dont use the same line, cause resi and business at the same address will have two seperate accounts, so you would/should have a second line run for your resi service.

also not all places hand out cable cards too.
sofakng3
Kingston, PA

sofakng3

Hmmm, are you sure about that?

The last time I tried Comcast residential TV, I still had business internet and the tech told me they rarely (basically never) run a second line to split the services because it's coming from the same spot on the pole anyways.

I really would rather a second line run so it's being split at the pole and not inside the house but oh well.

I also spoke with somebody else at Comcast and they said that they definitely DO offer self-install kits in my area so I'll probably go check it out tomorrow. I'm hoping to do a Dish vs Comcast comparison...

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium Member
join:2008-01-06

beachintech

Premium Member

Depending on local policies / plant design, you may get a second drop, or you may not.

The big problem is businesses taking advantage of lower residential rates. They usually will not install Residential services in a business address (which you are since you have biz class HSI), without a tech and a site survey to show it's a home business without public viewing. You will need to have a tech, no real way around it.

Depending on how long you have had the Biz HSI, your video service may be trapped out at the pole as well, which would require a tech to remove.
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44 to sofakng3

Premium Member

to sofakng3
Around her you ALWAYs get a second line. Im guessing you had a lazy tech.
sofakng3
Kingston, PA

sofakng3

Well... I'm getting a new installation (right now I only have business internet) on Friday and was told by my local office that I couldn't use self-install because my line was disconnected.

Maybe they did install a tap, but on the same line as my cable modem I receive my local channels in clear qam and my HDHomerun (with TSreader software) lets me tune to several encrypted QAMs so I think I'm already hooked up but regardless they are forcing a tech to come to my house on Friday.

We'll see how it goes!