spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Bogomil
join:2012-10-07

Bogomil

[Extreme Plus] Hitron Technologies CGN2-ROG

HI,
Before I get my Rogers Modem/Router Hitron CNG2-ROG, I used to have Rogers Express modem and Linksys WRT54GL wireless G router. All my devices where connected to my wireless network just fine; my computer, my apple TV, my Roku2 XD everthing was working without any problem. Since I switch to Hitron Technologies CGN2-ROG I cannot connect any new device to my wireless network. I even desabled the wireless security of the CNG2_ROG still cannot connect to my network. I did all the standard troubleshooting steps nothing worked. I am unable to connect my Roku2 XS wireless or wired with Ethernet port. The message I am receiving is "CANNOT CONNECT TO THE LOCAL NETWORK PLEASE CHECK IF YOUR ROUTER IS TURNED ON OR IF YOU HAVE THE RIGHT SECURITY KEY (error 013 or error 014). My security key is fine, all my devices connected wirelessly before I switch to Hitron Technologies CGN2-ROG are working perfectly, only new devices or devices those I reset to Factory default cannot connect.
I believe new devices can see the the wireless network but cannot connect to the local network due to some kind of restriction set by default by Rogers Hitron Technologies CGN2-ROG. The funny thing is I can see all devices new or old in my connected devices list. But when come the time to put encryption keys on new devices to connect them I cannot connect to the local network. Is there anyway to create a kind of 2 ways trust relationship betwin the modem and the router on the Hitron Technologies CGN2-ROG
For now I give up and use only my apple TV. Maybe my next thing to do if I can find any solution will be to go back to lower speed with two separed device like before a brodband modem and a router to have less headache.
HELP Please
Thank you

Jetcanada
@rogers.com

Jetcanada

Anon

The should have put a big bold "S" in front of HITRON. I purchased this supposed top of the line model on Friday to replace my D2 modem + Netgear R6300 and now none of my wireless devices can hold a connection longer than a minute or two. The wireless performance is horrible. I have been trying to figure out how to put this device in bridge mode, but the instructions that came with it on the USB drive are for the CISCO gateway... can you believe that? Someone at Rogers really screwed up and sourced this piece of crap from who knows where. Anybody hear about HITRON before? Anways, my devices are SOL until I can figure this out.

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

mozerd

MVM

said by Jetcanada :

I purchased this supposed top of the line model on Friday to replace my D2 modem + Netgear R6300 and now none of my wireless devices can hold a connection longer than a minute or two. The wireless performance is horrible.

call Rogers technical support and request that they put the HITRON in bridge mode for you -- they will do that if you so request. The Netgear R6300 in combination with the Hitron in bridge mode will serve you well.
useless2764
join:2008-10-11
Barrie, ON

useless2764 to Bogomil

to Bogomil
call rogers and have them put it in bridge mode, and then plug your trusty 54gl back in

mozerd
MVM
Nepean, ON

mozerd to Bogomil

MVM

to Bogomil
said by Bogomil:

Before I get my Rogers Modem/Router Hitron CNG2-ROG, I used to have Rogers Express modem and Linksys WRT54GL wireless G router. All my devices where connected to my wireless network just fine; my computer, my apple TV, my Roku2 XD everthing was working without any problem. Since I switch to Hitron Technologies CGN2-ROG I cannot connect any new device to my wireless network. I even desabled the wireless security of the CNG2_ROG still cannot connect to my network. I did all the standard troubleshooting steps nothing worked. I am unable to connect my Roku2 XS wireless or wired with Ethernet port.

my suggestion is to call Rogers technical support and request that they place the HITRON in bridge mode. Now acquire the Netgear WNDR4500 then connect the WNDR4500 to the bridged HITRON and all your stuff will work the just great.
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr to Bogomil

to Bogomil
If you're going to put it in bridge mode, exchange it for the Cisco dpc3825 and save yourself a dollar a month.

elitefx
join:2011-02-14
London, ON

1 recommendation

elitefx to Jetcanada

to Jetcanada
said by Jetcanada :

I purchased this supposed top of the line model on Friday to replace my D2 modem + Netgear R6300 and now none of my wireless devices can hold a connection longer than a minute or two. The wireless performance is horrible.

There comes a time when common sense has to prevail. Flop after flop after flop with these Rogers issued $149 to $199 D3 Gateways is sending the wrong message to customers.

Solution: The tried and true standalone modem. Rogers has to get back to what works and what works well.

To suggest that we pay $149 plus 13% tax minimum and then disable half the unit is ludricrous at best. A top of the line D3 standalone can be had for $89 to $105 and can usually be found on sale locally.

It's time for the Rogers daydreamers and naysayers to come to terms with the fact that D3 Gateways just flat out don't meet consumer requirements in 2012.

Now is the time for Rogers to man up and admit the Docsis 3 Gateway critics have been right all along.......
Hooter
join:2009-08-17
Scarborough, ON

Hooter

For the first time since these POS gateways have been introduced, I actually saw a Rogers rep make a post on Facebook in response to the SMC modem not connecting properly, that a more powerful router might be needed. It is the first time I have ever seen what comes close to admission of guilt from Rogers on this issue!

Jetcanada
@rogers.com

Jetcanada to Bogomil

Anon

to Bogomil
If you are having this issue, here's how I fixed it:

1. Get a decent wireless wi-fi router. I recommend the Netgear R6300, but feel free to substitute your favourite here.
2. Make sure your Hitron CGN2 is turned on and connected to the Internet
3. Call Rogers, navigate to the live tech support for Internet, and ask the tech to switch your gateway to bridge mode only (apparently this option is not available to you via the admin GUI). This will disable the wi-fi and routing features of the gateway. Your gateway will reboot and reconnect to the Internet.
4. Plug the Internet port on your router from step #1 into port 1 of the CGN2. Make sure that your router is on.
5. Power cycle the CGN2 by pulling out the adapter, wait a few seconds, and plug it back in.
6. Run the setup on your router. It will reconfigure the WAN portion and should keep all of your current wireless settings.

Every device came back on-line immediately after doing those steps with a much stronger signal and seemingly reliable connection. I will monitor for a few days and if there are issues, I'll add another post.

mozerd
MVM
Nepean, ON

mozerd

MVM

said by Jetcanada :

3. Call Rogers, navigate to the live tech support for Internet, and ask the tech to switch your gateway to bridge mode only (apparently this option is not available to you via the admin GUI). This will disable the wi-fi and routing features of the gateway. Your gateway will reboot and reconnect to the Internet.

Yes the option is available via the GUI but its not easily apparent ... so for those that are not technically inclined I suggest the easiest way is to call Rogers technical support and have them do the conversion to bridge mode.

Fr Lurker
@rogers.com

Fr Lurker

Anon

@mozerd

Could you explain how to do it step by step?

I'm on Express with an older Motorola sb5100 modem bought in 2005 so can't get the new max speed available for my connection. I'm also locked in at 60gb instead of the advertised 80gb because of my modem. I'm thinking of buying or renting a new modem (the Hitron is the only one they've offered to me on rental) but don't want to depend on Rogers phone techs to adjust the modem any time it needs to be reset.

mozerd
MVM
Nepean, ON

mozerd

MVM

said by Fr Lurker :

Could you explain how to do it step by step?

I set one up for a client so I no longer have access to it to trace the steps needed.
I suggest that You not get a Hitron but instead get the CISCO DPC 3825 and when you get it home and connect it to Rogers Phone Rogers Technical support and they I'll be happy to bridge the unit for you.

Rogers does stock both the Hitron and CISCO ... So if the store CSR gives you a hard time re the CISCO phone the Rogers sales number and request that they send you one via UPS or Canada Post and charge your cable account.