spc
uniqs
MannyL
join:2002-10-22
Jackson, NJ

MannyL to ScrawnyB

to ScrawnyB

Re: [Northeast] VPN into my home

Under the terms of the SamKnows agreement I am not allowed to replace the firmware. So that is not not an option.

Can I set the DMZ on the Actiontec to be 192.198.3.2?

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

said by MannyL:

Can I set the DMZ on the Actiontec to be 192.198.3.2?

You need to set the DMZ address in the Actiontec to the Netgear's WAN address, which is the same as it's address on the Actiontec LAN (192.168.1.x).
MannyL
Jackson, NJ

MannyL

Ah ha! That's why the Netgear is repsojnding on 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.2.2 although I have the IP of the Netgear assigned to 192.168.2.2

So I should just be able to set the DMZ on the Actiontec to 192.168.1.2 and then setup fowarding from the Netgear to the 2008 system
MannyL

MannyL

I'm still having problems setting this up. If I try to "call" my VPN from my LAN using the internal IP it works. If I try to "call" my VPN from my LAN using the external IP it fails.

I don't know how to diagnose the problem and resolve it.
McBane
join:2008-08-22
Wylie, TX

McBane

This is one of the shortcomings of double NAT'ing. You'll either need to stick the VPN server on the same subnet as the Netgear WAN behind the Actiontec or replace one of the devices with one that has VPN capability.

It might be possible to get this working by adding a static route on the actiontec if it supports it, but it would get messy and still may not work right for a VPN tunnel.
MannyL
Jackson, NJ

MannyL

The VPN Server has an IP of 192.168.3.4 and the Netgear Wan which is behind the actiontek has an IP of 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.3.2

This is the info from the Netgear unit

Internet Port
MAC Address 30:46:9A:99:C9:9F
IP Address 192.168.1.2
DHCP FixedIP
IP Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
Domain Name Server

LAN Port
MAC Address 30:46:9A:99:C9:9E
IP Address 192.168.3.2
DHCP Off
IP Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
McBane
Wylie, TX

McBane

Here is a good read of what you are trying to do:

»portforward.com/help/dou ··· ding.htm
MannyL
Jackson, NJ

MannyL

Thanks I'll look at that.

I wonder if as an option can I change the internal IP of the Actiontec to 192.168.3.1 then just reboot the STB's so they are in the right IP range. Then everything will be in the 192.168.3.X range
McBane
Wylie, TX

McBane

If you do that you would basically be eliminating the need for having the netgear because it sounds like you would be moving everything to the Actiontec LAN.

Is there a specific purpose for the Netgear on your network? If not ditch it along with the double NAT headache. If you would rather keep the netgear than the Actiontec get a MOCA bridge and hook it up to one of the Netgear ports for your STBs to get internet (Doing this breaks on screen caller ID and android/iPhone remote DVR which require the actiontec/westell routers to work right, though)
MannyL
Jackson, NJ

MannyL

I am using the netgear for better wireless support and my gigabit switch doesn't have enough ports.
McBane
Wylie, TX

McBane

I would do the MOCA bridge solution in that case then if the remote DVR and on screen caller ID are not that big a deal for you. If losing those would be a deal breaker for you then you've gotta get that double port forwarding to work as described in the article.

I use a Netgear wireless as well on the same setup because I dislike the actiontecs and their capability and the features I lose are not important to me.
MannyL
Jackson, NJ

MannyL

I'm at a point where I can't spend any more money. If I could I would just buy a larger switch.

The on screen caller ID is not something we use in the house but the remote DVR is very important to us.

I know there has to be a simpler solution that I'm overlooking.

The STB's are being given 192.168.1.100-1.105 If I could switch them to 192.168.3.10 to 192.168.3.15 and set the LAN port of the Actiontec to 192.168.3.1 then everything would be on the same subnet.

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber to MannyL

MVM

to MannyL
said by MannyL:

I wonder if as an option can I change the internal IP of the Actiontec to 192.168.3.1 then just reboot the STB's so they are in the right IP range. Then everything will be in the 192.168.3.X range

Yes, you can change the Actiontec's LAN subnet to 192.168.3.x, but NOT if you're connected Actiontec LAN to Netgear WAN. The Actiontec and the Netgear MUST be on different subnets when using the LAN-to-WAN configuration.

If you want both routers on the same subnet, you must use a LAN-to-LAN configuration and disable DHCP server on the Netgear. See this FAQ:
»Verizon FiOS FAQ »Can I use my wireless or an extra router along with the Verizon provided router?
That will disable the WAN side of the Netgear (including the SamKnows functionality).

All of the various configurations are explained here:
»Verizon FiOS FAQ »What are the tradeoffs between the various router configurations

If you want to continuing using the SamKnows functionality, first choice is option #6 or #7, but those will break remote DVR. If you want to keep SamKnows functionality and remote DVR, your only option is #8.