share rss forum feed

zach3
Zach
Premium
join:2000-05-04
Saint Louis, MO

2 edits

[FireFox] "Update" The Adobe Flash plugin has crashed

I am presently running Windows 7 64 bit OS with FF ver. 15.0.1 with Adobe Flash Player 11.4.402.278 and I keep receiving this message after I have visited a webpage that requires Adobe Flash player more than a couple of times.

Once I shut down FF and reboot it will function properly for a couple more videos and then I see this screen once again.

Can anyone shed some light on this issue for me???

Thanks,

Zach

DownLow
Nope...I Got Nothing
Premium
join:2001-04-25
Long Island

Re: [FireFox] The Adobe Flash plugin has crashed

It's been happening for a while for me, you don't need to restart FF, just replay the video (or refresh the link).

Not sure what the issue is or if there is a fix.
--
Cleverly Disguised As A Responsible Adult!

zach3
Zach
Premium
Saint Louis, MO

In my case I need to shut FF down and open it up again. Refreshing the link or attempting to replay the video just won't work.

Thanks for the response.

Confuzzle

join:2007-11-21
California
reply to zach3

I haven't ran into these problems, but I'm not using flash 11.4. I like to use the windows volume control panel for .. well volume control .. but flash 11.4 always resets itself on my browsers after exiting so I installed 10.3 (it's kept up to date) and volume control works as it did. Maybe you guys should give it a try?

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
kudos:3
reply to zach3

There is a new update out for Adobe Flash player. Maybe try that.

New version: 11.4.402.287

»www.adobe.com/products/flashplay···on3.html

zach3
Zach
Premium
Saint Louis, MO

Thanks, La Luna.

I just checked yesterday and my update didn't show one. I will give it a try after the market closes and post back and let everyone know.

Much appreciated.

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3
reply to La Luna

I checked this morning and the update was not there. Just checked now, and I'm seeing it as well.

Time to update and see how things go.

--Brian

Forhad

join:2012-10-03
Toronto, ON
reply to zach3

I am also facing the same problem. Is it a common issue?

MarkRH
Premium
join:2005-02-08
Oklahoma City, OK
reply to zach3

said by zach3:

I am presently running Windows 7 64 bit OS with FF ver. 15.0.1 with Adobe Flash Player 11.4.402.278 and I keep receiving this message after I have visited a webpage that requires Adobe Flash player more than a couple of times.

Once I shut down FF and reboot it will function properly for a couple more videos and then I see this screen once again.

Can anyone shed some light on this issue for me???

Thanks,

Zach

I'm running Windows 7 Pro 64bit/SP1 FF 15.0.1 and Flash 11.4.402.278 as well and have had no problems. Because both Firefox and Flash have the option to use Hardware Acceleration, you might try turning those off. Also, if your system is having problems with Adobe's Protected Mode in Win 7, you might try turning that off ( look at the bottom of this article for how to do that with the mms.cfg file: »forums.adobe.com/thread/1018071?tstart=0 ).

Your Video Drivers may also have an impact. If you're running really ancient video drivers, you might try updating those.

I looked at the .287 release notes, and it only seems to fix issues in IE and iOS: »helpx.adobe.com/en/flash-player/···tes.html

Then there's the standard troubleshooting of trying it with all add-ons disabled, etc.

mythology
Premium
join:2002-10-16
Seneca, SC
reply to zach3

There`s an update to browsing. Its called Google Chrome.

zach3
Zach
Premium
Saint Louis, MO

1 recommendation

reply to MarkRH

Hi Mark,

I applied the security patch this afternoon and have had no difficulties since; knock on wood.

I am sure if there are still issues my system will find them and let me know.

I will update my post after tomorrows trading day and let everyone know how it goes.

Thanks Again,

Zach

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA
reply to mythology

FWIW, I saw the same thing happen (Shockwave Flash plugin has crashed - this appears to be what Chrome calls Adobe Flash), with Chrome today (10/08/2012) on a Core i7 system running Win 7 Pro x64 SP1. So, I think this is not just a Firefox issue. One possible clue. Chrome was running the Pandora page playing music when I tried loading a flash video in a separate tab and that is when things went south. Maybe that is what is causing the issue with FF. Closing and restarting Chrome allowed Pandora to play again.
--
It is easier for a camel to put on a bikini than an old man to thread a needle.

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA

2 edits
reply to mythology

FWIW, I saw the same thing happen (Shockwave Flash plugin has crashed - this appears to be what Chrome calls Adobe Flash), with Chrome today (10/08/2012) on a Core i7 system running Win 7 Pro x64 SP1. So, I think this is not just a Firefox issue. One possible clue. Chrome was running the Pandora page playing music when I tried loading a flash video in a separate tab and that is when things went south. Maybe that is what is causing the issue with FF. Closing and restarting Chrome allowed Pandora to play again. Obviously, there could be a conflict when trying to play two different streams at the same time, duh. However, if there were a flash trying to load on a separate tab, maybe just the process of automatic loading would cause a problem. NoScript would probably prevent that from happening spontaneously in FF.

Good grief, a double post. Oh well, I did try getting the plugin to fail in Firefox, but this is on an XP SP3 system, and it did not fail. Firefox is not installed on the Core i7 system, so I can't test there. Maybe this only affects Win 7, due to patch mentioned? I do have the same Flash version (11.4.402.287). Oh, and this is a 32-bit version. Anyway, if it is a Win 7 issue or 64-bit issue, a lot of folks will be hurt, and Chrome probably won't be any help, either.
--
It is easier for a camel to put on a bikini than an old man to thread a needle.

zach3
Zach
Premium
Saint Louis, MO
reply to zach3

Here is an update on my Flash issue.

Since the update I have had no problems until early this morning.

I received a message via TweekDeck which contained a link to a Flash Video. When I clicked on the link the Video opened fine and I watched it and closed it down.

At that point I went to my already opened FF web page and went to my every morning like that uses Flash to post Trading information on various Stock trades during the day and I received the picture as shown in my original post.

Now I can't remember if that was exactly something that I did previously but so far that is the only thing that I have done that has recreated the problem.

I shut down FF and reopened it and everything was fine and continues to be so.

Will post back when I have any more information.

Zach

zach3
Zach
Premium
Saint Louis, MO
reply to zach3

Re: [FireFox] "Update" The Adobe Flash plugin has cras

Here is something that I found today that may have an answer to our question that there are others with the same issue:

»www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-18495965

MarkRH
Premium
join:2005-02-08
Oklahoma City, OK

That article is like 4 months old. Anyway, I have no problems myself with current versions. It's been a combination of one or more factors. Hardware Acceleration in either the browser and/or Flash, Protected Mode in Vista/Win 7, conflicts with other add-ons such as RealPlayer, and/or outdated Video Drivers.

BTW, users of Chrome and IE also had issues.

But, yeah, been one of the bumpier roads after a Flash update in some time.