spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Cronk

join:2005-07-16

Security in Win 7 Homegroups vs password protected sharing

I've traditionally used password protected file sharing, but now that all my computers are Win 7 I am wondering if Homegroup sharing offers the same degree of security - security against someone jumping on my network trying to access files, as well as security of those shared files when I am travelling with my laptop. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks

Mangix

join:2012-02-16
united state
AFAIK, HomeGroup uses RSA 2048 to exchange keys as well as AES-128(unsure which mode) to encrypt the data. I think password protected sharing uses a 40-bit algorithm. Not sure. If that's true, then it means it's useless.

Start using HomeGroup. As someone who recently transfered 400GB of data through Ethernet using HomeGroup, I can definitely say that it's really convenient.

Cronk

I've set up Homegroups, seems to be doing everything I need.
Thanks

finnanon

@dnainternet.fi
reply to Cronk
According to this:
[url]»www.windowsitpro.com/article/sec···15[/url]
"The AES key is used to encrypt HomeGroup credentials messages and a 2048-bit RSA private/public key pair, which the initiator of the HomeGroup creates and uses to sign WSD messages, ensuring their integrity."

The AES key apparently is NOT used to encrypt ALL data transferred in the HomeGroup. So anyone snooping the connection can read all files etc. send in plaintext.

Cronk

Does regular password protected sharing encrypt all data?

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:2
»windowssecrets.com/top-story/sim···etworks/

quote:
The results demonstrate that you’ll get the highest speed boost simply by disabling Homegroup and using classic workgroup networking. You gain a second, more-modest boost by dropping 128-bit file-transfer encryption down to 56-bit encryption.