spc
Search similar:

uniqs
kb4ob
join:2006-12-23
Mission, TX

kb4ob

Exede DNS Servers Western North Carolina

Immediately after my Exede 12 system was installed last week I started having major DNS related problems and internet was virtually worthless.
I powered the modem off and on which seemed to fix the problem.
This morning I experienced the same issue and repeated the power off & on fix but the problem re-occurred about 30 minutes later.
Since I had no internet access anyway, I decided to utilize Google DNS servers(8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4) in my WRT54GL router in place of the automatic Wildblue DNS servers.
My system came back immediately and has been rock solid ever since.
Anyone else run into this?

wm4bama
join:2012-05-10
Goodwater, AL

wm4bama

Exede is working on a software fix at their servers and new firmware for the modems that's supposed to fix several small problems..

Using a 3rd party DNS server(s) or a proxy will defeat the Exede AcceleNet technology and eventually cause you to use more bytes toward your DAP limit.

You may have to power-cycle your modem and/or router occasionally until this problem is fixed, but you would be wise to switch back to the DNS server IP's assigned by Exede so you are routed through the AcceleNet servers and get the benefit of the AcceleNet compression technology.
kb4ob
join:2006-12-23
Mission, TX

kb4ob

Virtually total loss of internet service and having to power cycle my modem every 30 minutes is no minor problem for me.
And I have yet to see any usage data whatsoever on my usage monitor anyway.
This will be an unattended setup and I am more concerned with reliability than data use since there will be no one here to reboot the modem.

wm4bama
Goodwater, AL

wm4bama to kb4ob

to kb4ob
I understand...

However you're going to be very disappointed for a while until the DHCP problem (part of the few issues to be fixed) is solved with new server-side software and new modem firmware is downloaded...

This problem requires frequent modem power-cycles to recover internet access, no matter whose DNS server IP's you are using..

The modem just locks up and you can't even access the modem menu with your browser...estimate is 2 weeks for the fixes to be released..

So, the first time you can't get any data from your remote location you'll know the modem has locked up...sometimes it takes 2 or 3 power-cycles to restore it to a functioning status..

Good luck..
TexasRebel
join:2011-05-29
Edgewood, TX

TexasRebel

You really have faith in their crappy software don't you?!?

You know this sh*t never started happening until they started enforcing the DAP and then rolled out the LNFZ. So now they have software they have to update on the servers and modems to fix the problems they caused in the first place. Bravo!! Bravo!!

I'm ending it with ViaSat this week. I'm tired of paying $150 for a minuscule amount of data and then having to constantly unplug their crappy modem to get it working again.

Even the cheapest DSL modem for AT&T and the Motorola cable modem I had with Comcast when I had cable internet for 8 years never had these kinds of problems..
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

1 edit

silbaco to wm4bama

Premium Member

to wm4bama
If switching to Google DNS fixed his problem, I don't see why he will be very disappointed.

wm4bama
Goodwater, AL

wm4bama

said by silbaco:

If switching to Google DNS fixed his problem, I don't see why he will be very disappointed.

The real problem is DHCP handshakes with routers...I assume the OP uses a router to handle his security system or other device(s) and this problem causes the router to lose communication with the modem, and the only current way to restore internet access is to power-cycle the modem and router, sometimes 3 or more cycles are needed to restore the communications between modem and router and regain internet access. Some routers work better than others but all have this problem usually at least once a week.

I doubt the OP has the ability to power-cycle the modem from his remote location, that's why I said he'd probably be disappointed until WB/Exede implements software fixes to their servers and download new firmware for the modems..

If rumor hold true this problem will be fixed in less than two weeks and he can go back to using the Exede DNS servers and the benefit of their AcceleNet technology..