Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav

Premium Member

[Serious] Relative Looking for a New Car,

Short person needs a front adjustable seat is a must.
Decent visibility all way round.
Easy to park. (oh yeah automatic)
Mostly city driving (rare country drive 2hrs tops).
Looking at Accent, Golf, Jetta, Elantra GT, and Fit.

The Fit is the smallest width and length wise with best ground clearance and at the top with accent for gas mileage. Also has decent visibility. Problem is without adjustable seat, seatbelt rides up on neck............

Other with raked styling have crappy vis.
Volkswagen models lag the other by at least 10mpg city and highway on the regular gas models.

Golf and Elantra GT come in around 25, 26K to expensive.
Accent, Fit and Jetta(2012 with3k off) come in the 21.5K area.

FaxCap
join:2002-05-25
Surrey, BC

FaxCap

What about a Kia Rio LX+....can be bought with an automatic...has adjustable front seats...$17K.

Or the Rio 5 door hatchback for $300 more.

Chevy Sonic?

FaxCap

Kardinal
Dei Gratina Regina
Mod
join:2001-02-04
N of 49th

Kardinal to Anav

Mod

to Anav
The Focus has a height-adjustable front seat, and I think the Fiesta does as well (I seem to remember it does from sitting in one at an auto show, but I'm not 100% sure). I think the Sonic did as I seem to recall getting in and finding the previous person had cranked it up so high my head was on angle and against the roof.

The Kia Rio / Hyundai Accent are the same platform but have very different 'finishes', as are the Kia Forte / Hyundai Elantra, so be sure to look at them both. I was very impressed with the Kias I sat in compared to what they were a few years ago.

Other suggestions: Mazda3 or Mazda5, Chevrolet Spark, Mitsubushi Lancer, Toyota Yaris/Matrix/Corolla, Scion xB/xD, Nissan Versa/Cube, Fiat 500, Dodge Dart. Not sure which have a height-adjustable driver's seat, but they are all sub- or compact cars that would likely fit in th price range you are looking for and be reasonable on fuel.

shaner
Premium Member
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB

shaner

Premium Member

When I was at the Calgary auto show this year, the car that absolutely impressed me the most was the Rio 5. The Focus and Fiesta felt cheap all around in comparison, but were more expensive than the Rio 5.

milnoc
join:2001-03-05
Ottawa

milnoc to Anav

to Anav
The Fiat 500 has a height adjustable seat. The blind spot however can be a bit big, which is why the side mirrors are tipped with blind spot mirrors. Easy to drive in town and extremely easy to park since it's so freakin' short. Its highway performance is actually pretty decent. I drove the Sport model to a job located six hours away with no issues except on the Queensway in Ottawa where a huge plastic bag came out of nowhere and covered up the front air intake!

You should have no trouble finding one for under $20K with air.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav

Premium Member

I will look at the RIO 5, hatchback type was preferable but I noted many cars do have 60 40 split seat so long pieces can get in through a quasi trunk. Ive seen too many newish mazdas with rust spots and we had a protege ourselves many moons ago. POS in the long run. Fiat looks too small and tinny like you could crumple it up in your bare hands LOL. Now the mini cooper looks smart but maybe its just a toy car.

By the way many of the new styles have limited visibility (very raked sided windows), and thats why the bit boxier view of the FIT or GOLF is attractive.
MajorPewPew
join:2010-09-19

MajorPewPew

Actually, the Golf GTI gets pretty good mileage if you drive it conservatively and keep it well tuned. Im able to hit 28,29 mpg regularly, and the shifting is SMOOTH!

Edit: and very spacious in the back too