spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

MisterSai

join:2010-11-21
Astoria, NY

NYC Brick and Mortar Stores to buy the recommended modems ?

I would like to purchase a modem in light of the modem lease fees that Time Warner will be putting on us. I have been slacking off on it and also trying to figure out if I should futureproof with a docsis 3.0 modem as a current Standard customer. So where in NYC could I find these modems. Also to futureproof or not? Thanks in advanced.

pizz
1gbps is all the rage.
Premium
join:2000-10-27
Astoria, NY
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
i live in astoria, and the only places i know are the major chains. You could look at the place on 37th street and 28th ave. it's a PC repair shop, maybe they have modems.
--
Fantasy football is Dungeons & Dragons for the guys who beat up kids that played D&D.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY
kudos:11
reply to MisterSai
Future Proof is my recommendation.

Hob

Racerbob
Premium
join:2001-06-24
Webster, NY
kudos:1
said by hobgoblin:

Future Proof is my recommendation.

Hob

I agree with this Hob. After talking with one of the support folks in Buffalo yesterday morning for an unrelated matter, we had a conversation about the modems. He agreed. Get a D3 modem.
--
Obama = Epic Fail

ArgMeMatey

join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·AT&T Midwest
·Time Warner Cable
reply to MisterSai
Just my two cents: I'm not in NYC but just started getting charged the monthly modem fee.

I was looking at the SB6141 months ago on eBay and Amazon when it was going for about $75.

It's now pushing $125, so since I am a skinflint, I just bought an old-school Cisco DPC2100r2 on Amazon for $15. That's the same unit I'm renting right now.

For that price differential, the downside risk is pretty minimal.
--
USNG:
16TDN2870
Find your USNG coordinates:
USNGWeb

hotshot187

join:2008-04-07
Webster, NY
reply to Racerbob
Hey Bob did you end up buying a D3 modem yet?

Racerbob
Premium
Webster, NY
said by hotshot187:

Hey Bob did you end up buying a D3 modem yet?

Not yet Doug. Why ?
--
Obama = Epic Fail

hotshot187

join:2008-04-07
Webster, NY
Me either but looked online at Amazon yesterday and the Motorola one is selling for 129. Higher than the 99 bucks it use to be. Might have to wait a bit.

emissionsdoc

join:2002-04-19
IN & FL
B&H Photo/Video. Huge store in NYC. I bought a new ADSL2 modem/router for my CenturyLink DSL. Best prices I could find including eBAy. They have a huge store and it's been there a long time.

...Joe

jojoyohan

join:2007-02-19
united state
You can track the price of the modem on camelcamelcamel, »camelcamelcamel.com/Motorola-Sur···07IMPMW4

It looks like it is currently our of stock. I would assume that a lot of people with TWC are buying them.

Racerbob
Premium
Webster, NY
reply to hotshot187
After reading Phil Dampier's latest report on this modem fiasco, I think that we might as well wait a while anyway.

»stopthecap.com/2012/10/08/time-w···g-lines/
--
Obama = Epic Fail