Premium Member
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN

1 recommendation

Blackbird to La Luna

Premium Member

to La Luna

Re: In Cyberattacks on Banks, Evidence of a New Weapon

So... a kid in Ohio links up with a handful of kids in other basements in other states or countries via IRC and they agree it'd be cool to take down some bank sites. That becomes an "organized group". If some of the "kids" are adults who never quite grew up beyond their teen predilection to vandalize and their naive idealism about how the world is organized, that provides a focused mission. Wherewithal to pull it off simply comes from number of players and experience. Given enough of the latter, they might even become sponsored (or employed) by a state whose interests in causing havoc coincide with the little group's.

My point is that in the real world, it can be a continuum... there aren't necessarily causes A, B, or C to choose from. Nor does it necessarily matter. A technique exploited by a kid is a technique exploitable by a nation state... that is, it is a weakness or vulnerability. The only relevant question in my mind is whether there's anything new (either qualitative or quantitative) in what is being done.

La Luna
Fly With The Angels My Beloved Son Chris
Premium Member
join:2001-07-12
New Port Richey, FL

La Luna

Premium Member

True. If you look at all scenarios, anything is possible.

Could kids, maybe with help pull this off and would they? Possible, but in my mind not likely. To me, there is something more nefarious going on here. But that's JMHO.

Snowy
Lock him up!!!
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI

Snowy to Blackbird

Premium Member

to Blackbird
said by Blackbird:

My point is that in the real world, it can be a continuum...

Absolutely.
For all the possibilities that presents...
What it isn't though is
"said Prince, the CloudFlare CEO. "This very well could be a kid sitting in his mom's basement in Ohio launching these attacks."

An anti-DDOS vendor publicly making that claim need to be publicly called on it.