Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

1 recommendation

StuartMW to Juggernaut

Premium Member

to Juggernaut

Re: SpyBot Heads UP

said by Juggernaut:

It's at the bottom of the Immunize page.

Ahh, well I don't have Immunization enabled. I use Spybot as a manual scanner.

As I keep saying I really hate automatic "let me just handle stuff for you since you're too dumb to understand" options.
SipSizzurp
Fo' Shizzle
Premium Member
join:2005-12-28
Houston, TX

1 recommendation

SipSizzurp

Premium Member

Sorry for the somewhat mis-information. It happened because I did a manual update of the signatures. If you forget to un-check the "Immunization Database" on the list of items to update then Spybot will tell you to be sure and re-apply immunization ( even though it is a fresh install that was never immunized ). Clicking "OK" on that message immediately immunizes the host file.

That must be what happened on the machine I'm fixing. I remember being surprised that it downloaded the immunizations even though I thought I had un-checked that download. And, it is just a half a meg, not a half a gig ( 433 KB ). Sorry, I need another cup of coffee.

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by SipSizzurp:

Clicking "OK" on that message immediately immunizes the host file.

I just made a similar mistake because I clicked Immunize (per Juggernaut See Profile's post) and although I got a warning about an open browser clicking OK did an immunize. I immediately did an Undo but it left a process running anyway. Killed that with maximum prejudice At least it didn't touch my Hosts file.
SipSizzurp
Fo' Shizzle
Premium Member
join:2005-12-28
Houston, TX

SipSizzurp

Premium Member

said by StuartMW:

I immediately did an Undo but it left a process running anyway. Killed that with maximum prejudice At least it didn't touch my Hosts file.

You should run Deep Freeze on your own machine like I do. Re-boot and yer computer is then in the same exact condition it was 3 years ago. Nice and fast with no Windows Rott accumulations to slow it down, and down, and down.

StuartMW
Premium Member

1 recommendation

StuartMW

Premium Member

I have my own method of restoring stuff.

FYI hitting "Immunize" installed the SDWinSecService. Using

sc delete SDWinSecService

nuked that from orbit (it's the only way to be sure) :D

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
said by StuartMW:

said by Juggernaut:

It's at the bottom of the Immunize page.

Ahh, well I don't have Immunization enabled. I use Spybot as a manual scanner.

As I keep saying I really hate automatic "let me just handle stuff for you since you're too dumb to understand" options.

Ditto on my old, updated Windows machines (2K SP4, XP Pro. SP3, and 64-bit W7 HPE). I run them manually for updates and scanning.