share rss forum feed

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
kudos:2
reply to dave

Re: [WIN7] Recommended SSD System Tweaks?

said by dave:

10 million interrupts per second seems like a hell of a lot. If it takes of the order of a few hundred instructions to service an interrupt, that's more than one CPU core's worth.

Yes, that's across all eight "cores" of the Core i7 CPU.
--
Tom
Boycott AT&T uVerse! | Tom's Android Blog | AOKP (The Android Open Kang Project)

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8

But my point is that consuming one whole core just for interrupt handling is not normal.

Unless you're servicing a lot of non-DMA devices. (Are USB devices DMA? Dunno)

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
Cleveland, OH

I only have a Logitech Keyboard & Mouse receiver (one USB device services them both) and a Logitech web cam. Only two USB devices are plugged into the machine at any one time. It's rare, but sometimes I connect my Android phone to the computer but usually only for short periods of time and I disconnect it when I'm finished.

LatencyMon says that some nVidia driver along with the NDIS, TCP/IP, and USBPORT driver are also part of the problem but it changes depending upon the state of the machine. As you can guess, tracking down which driver is causing this issue has been rather difficult.
--
Tom
Boycott AT&T uVerse! | Tom's Android Blog | AOKP (The Android Open Kang Project)

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
Cleveland, OH

I can't help but to think that somewhere in this system of mine, hardware is failing and that this is a sign of the beginning of the end for it.

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
Cleveland, OH

Damn it, I solved the problem. Too bad I had to use the "sledge hammer" method to do so. I reformatted my machine and reinstalled from scratch. Guess what? No issues. No DPC Latency spikes according to DPC Latency Checker v1.3.
--
Tom

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8

Just for comparison, what's the interrupt rate now?

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
Cleveland, OH

Click for full size
Interrupts
Screenshot.