share rss forum feed

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
reply to Dissembled

Re: [RPG Review] Dishonored: Story-driven roleplaying

I've never played Thief or the Hitman series, so not sure.

There's a bunch of reviews out there with people comparing this game as a cross between Deus Ex and Assassins Creed.

Where they get Deus Ex from, I don't know. I just don't see it.

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium
join:2009-06-09
Your Mind!
kudos:2

said by Ghastlyone:

I've never played Thief or the Hitman series, so not sure.

There's a bunch of reviews out there with people comparing this game as a cross between Deus Ex and Assassins Creed.

Where they get Deus Ex from, I don't know. I just don't see it.

Possibly from the power selection? I don't really see Deus Ex either.
--
From Psychonauts -
Lungfish Civilian: (describing Goggalor) He's impervious to bullets! ... and love!
--

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to Krisnatharok

Just got to a major plot action. I was trying to play through as the good guy, sparing as many guards as possible, and even "disappearing" some of the top bad guys when the merciful option presented itself.

But fuck, no way, not anymore. I wasn't very emotionally attached so far into the game--the steampunk Borderlands visual style wasn't doing it for me, so I was acting as the merciful white knight for extra challenge.

But the unexpected turn of events took me off guard. I'm killing everyone I come across from here on out. Fucking vengeance time!
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV

said by Krisnatharok:

Just got to a major plot action. I was trying to play through as the good guy, sparing as many guards as possible, and even "disappearing" some of the top bad guys when the merciful option presented itself.

But fuck, no way, not anymore. I wasn't very emotionally attached so far into the game--the steampunk Borderlands visual style wasn't doing it for me, so I was acting as the merciful white knight for extra challenge.

But the unexpected turn of events took me off guard. I'm killing everyone I come across from here on out. Fucking vengeance time!

haha, so far on my first play though, I'm killing every single person in sight. I haven't hit the plot twist yet though, I got a feeling of what it entails.

Supposedly there's a different ending for being ruthless and one for doing limited amount of killing.

Itsallgood

join:2010-06-06

There are 3 different endings. Low Chaos and 2 High Chaos ones.

I don't know how to do one of those anti-spoiler blacked out text thing here so I won't say anymore..

Grimm

join:2011-05-23

said by Itsallgood:

There are 3 different endings. Low Chaos and 2 High Chaos ones.

I don't know how to do one of those anti-spoiler blacked out text thing here so I won't say anymore..

(spoiler).......(/spoiler)

*except for parenthesis you put in brackets, just like quoting someone
--
Slydermv--In short.. hookers save lives.

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium
Your Mind!

Low Chaos: You save the city and the plague goes away.

High Chaos 1: You save Emily, but the city spirals down ever further down the chaotic rabbit hole as the plague runs rampant in the streets unabated.

High Chaos 2: You don't save Emily. The city is plunged into pure chaos, with the plague spreading everywhere, whilst Corvo and others (i.e. the nobles) vie for control.
--
From Psychonauts -
Lungfish Civilian: (describing Goggalor) He's impervious to bullets! ... and love!
--

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV

Thank you for using spoilers

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium
Your Mind!

said by Ghastlyone:

Thank you for using spoilers

You're welcome, mang.

bionicRod
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium
join:2009-07-06
united state

1 recommendation

BRUCE WILLIS WAS DEAD THE WHOLE TIME!

Itsallgood

join:2010-06-06
reply to Grimm

Thanks! I actually spent a few minutes starting at the screen looking for the "highlight" function before I gave up. :-S

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to Krisnatharok

Well I beat it. Definitely worth the money, and it's good to see a new IP.

Nasty plot had me dispense with my RP and turn me into an ungodly vengeance machine, killing everything in my path. I spared no one.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

TigerLord
UEE Citizen
Premium,Mod
join:2002-06-09
Canada
kudos:8

said by Krisnatharok:

Well I beat it. Definitely worth the money, and it's good to see a new IP.

Nasty plot had me dispense with my RP and turn me into an ungodly vengeance machine, killing everything in my path. I spared no one.

I gotta say the game is good at making you want to kill everything that moves.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

I like how it snuck on me with the plot twist. I assumed it was a typically good vs. evil, black-and-white fight, and I could trust the "good guys" to support me while I rid the city of the guys who killed the Empress.

Then you come back to find out they try to kill YOU. But that's not bad enough. They kill off everyone who was sheltering them as well--even Emily's tutor, Callista.

Efficient? Or evil?

I was already bordering high chaos as I tended to kill things in the first level, but tried to go non-lethal after that. But after that, I didn't even bother with non-lethal, I killed anything that could be killed, and even managed to save Emily.
--

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
reply to Krisnatharok

I'm on the mission where you go back to Dunwall. I'm not sure how far I am from the end of the game, but it's gotta be getting close.

I've been given an objective to assassinate a guy on the roof top.

I can't wait to see what they do for a sequel with this game.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to TigerLord

said by TigerLord:

I gotta say the game is good at making you want to kill everything that moves.

No kidding, I tried to start up my guy as non-lethal as possible, and I changed my mind halfway through, every upgrade makes you even more lethal.

I can hardly wait until I get that Rat Plague power...
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium
Your Mind!
reply to Krisnatharok

To KrisN about Callista: If you are playing through with low chaos, Callista is actually spared, though, the butler and other maid are still killed.

Also, for those that did not know, Callista (Emily's tutor) is voiced by Cersei Lannister actress, Lena Headey.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

said by Goggalor:

Callista (Emily's tutor) is voiced by Cersei Lannister actress, Lena Headey.

Seems fitting, as you walk in on her in the bath.
--

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium
Your Mind!

said by Krisnatharok:

said by Goggalor:

Callista (Emily's tutor) is voiced by Cersei Lannister actress, Lena Headey.

Seems fitting, as you walk in on her in the bath.

Lena also did an awesome job in Dredd last summer.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

Now I know what I'm watching on Amazon this afternoon...

bionicRod
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium
join:2009-07-06
united state

said by Krisnatharok:

Now I know what I'm watching on Amazon this afternoon...

OT but Dredd was awesome man. I barely heard of it while in theaters and thought that must mean it must not be that great but rented it anyway. I watched it twice then bought the blu ray. It's like a hyper violent Robocop - Die Hard combo set in Megacity 1. NOTHING like the Stallone film.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
join:2010-08-24
Mexico
reply to Krisnatharok

Still waiting for my birthday present....

/hint

Grimm

join:2011-05-23
reply to Krisnatharok

I highly recommend the 3D version if you have the option.
--
Slydermv--In short.. hookers save lives.

Mcallan

join:2012-08-28
Arlington, VA
reply to Krisnatharok

Dredd really reminded me of another movie that came out last year "The Raid:Redemption" extreme action and quite well done.

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
reply to Krisnatharok

I managed to finish this game over the weekend. I enjoyed every minute of it.

I'm going to attempt a Ghost playthrough. I mananged to accomplish it on the very first level. I can tell it'll be extremely tough though later on.

One of the thing I hope they address if they do a sequel, is to make weapons and abilities (other then blink) have a little more meaning. Guns, crossbow, grenades, timestop, mind control, etc. really didn't seem to matter much, seeing as how you can play through the whole game easily with using only your sword or simply choking every single person out.

It was well worth the money spent.

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium
Your Mind!

Upgraded Blink is key for a Ghost playthrough. Slow Time/Time Stop is also very handy, though, not nearly as much as upgraded Blink.

What I would really like is more non-lethal options other than the Sleeping Darts and the Choke-Out, especially some sort of sleep power.

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV

Yeah, upgraded Blink just ended up making nearly every other ability and weapon seem meaningless.

I also forgot to mention Bone Charms. These were another aspect of the game that fell kind of flat with me and seemed meaningless. I got the feeling of no matter which Bone Charms I equipped, it didn't really matter in the long run, because I could just Blink my out of any situation.

I got a feeling this will be addressed in the sequel. I read a lot of people had issue with this.

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium
Your Mind!

I thought the bone charms were neat, though, as you said, meaningless... for the most part. There were a few mana ones that were just awesome for the Ghost playthrough. However, I did not like that every single one was random when you found it in the world.