All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
moonboon
join:2011-06-21

moonboon to rustydusty

to rustydusty

Re: Optic internet speed increase coming soon?

Just got off the phone with Telus Care. First call in got me a rep who was in the know/was willing to check into it. Apparently available in my area now. Telus tech coming out Tuesday to set up 50/10.

Located in Kelowna BC.

m999
@108.181.132.x

m999 to rustydusty

Anon

to rustydusty
Good luck finding an ALU.

I placed my order and sounds like a tech has to make a visit to my place to get the service up and running. Does anyone know why? Are they installing a new Actiontec for HS50? If so, is a firmware upgrade required to enable a new profile?

Just curious because I currently use a bridged Actiontec and it is excellent - no double NAT pain. Given passwords are now difficult to get, bridging may not be a possibility anymore. So if they're going to install an unbridged Actiontec then I'll have to start the hunt for an ALU/Zyxel as well.

Thanks!

South_of_22
join:2009-03-23

South_of_22

said by m999 :

Good luck finding an ALU.

I placed my order and sounds like a tech has to make a visit to my place to get the service up and running. Does anyone know why? Are they installing a new Actiontec for HS50? If so, is a firmware upgrade required to enable a new profile?

Just curious because I currently use a bridged Actiontec and it is excellent - no double NAT pain. Given passwords are now difficult to get, bridging may not be a possibility anymore. So if they're going to install an unbridged Actiontec then I'll have to start the hunt for an ALU/Zyxel as well.

Thanks!

You will be getting the Actiontec v2000H. That is what the online agent told me what I will be getting. Hence why a tech has to come to your house.

I just processed my order today as well online thru Telus Chat.

Took less than 20mins to get everything setup and ready for the upgrade.

Stand alone price is $75/month for HS50/Optik50.

I will be paying $65 because of bundling discounts.
Nas1
join:2011-10-05
Camrose, AB

Nas1

I am a little jealous I have to say. I phoned in today and unfortunately it's not in my area yet. The CR did say it will take some time to launch it everywhere, some of us will just have to be patient I guess lol.
rayl6
join:2012-11-09
Surrey, BC

rayl6 to bimmerdriver

to bimmerdriver
so if i dont have optic 25 in my area the chance of having optic 50 is really low i guess im in like the are of 64 and 152 in surrey i dont get how its not there yet since telus is across the street
goalcam
join:2001-06-03
Port Coquitlam, BC

goalcam

Just because Telus has an office or a CO close to your home does not mean that the infrastructure required to support higher speeds is there.
BadMagpie
join:2011-02-05

BadMagpie to bimmerdriver

to bimmerdriver
So a tech is coming out on the 24th to upgrade my line to 50, cool. I asked if they could just move my line over but they couldn't: they had to get a tech to come out since it's a new service.

Problem is, when I asked them to upgrade my line to a business line a couple of weeks ago, the residential speed (25/3) was replaced with the business speed (25/5), even though my residential 25 account was still active. So I'm paying for a residential and business line at the same time, while only getting business line speeds (for the time being). I was left with a second V1000H, and no matter what phone line in the house I plug it into, I can't get DSL out of it (except of course the single business line I already have). Who do I talk to to fix this? Business or residential? I want to make sure that once I'm on residential 50 and cancel the business line that I don't get disconnected altogether.
Temploy
join:2012-11-18

Temploy to Optik50

to Optik50
Love the upgraded speeds!!!! Way to go Telus!

DeJaVoo
@shawcable.net

DeJaVoo to bimmerdriver

Anon

to bimmerdriver
I dunno this whole thing seems like dealing with Teksavvy (lol). So many potential issues deal direct with Telus... Wish I could get above 15mbps (business) in a downtown core of a 70k population city.

Shaw isn't great but once served you can have a tech come out or go pick up (example DOCSIS 3 modem) from a retail location and be off and running with in an hour of the original call.

Wish this Optic 50 was here for my business but I can't get 25mbit yet so...

So frustrating trying to get speed upgrades with Telus, one day, maybe. . .

PS. Employee's posting speedtest's just **** me off, why bother ugh...
Kruisey
join:2006-12-30
Vancouver, BC

Kruisey

Don't get upset this is a unique sales pitch.
Very clever Telus.

m999
@108.181.132.x

m999 to South_of_22

Anon

to South_of_22
Thanks, good info!

Kitlope
join:2004-07-29
Edmonton, Ab

Kitlope to bimmerdriver

to bimmerdriver
Just got off the phone with Telus to see availabilty in my area and I can get Optik 50! They be sending out a tech on Tuesday in the morning to do the upgrade. w00t! Price is $70.00, up from $47.00 so I dropped the sports package I had to save a few bones ($9.00) since NHL hockey is a no-go and CFL football is coming to a close. Really looking forward to my new & improved upload speed.

Thanks DSLreports for making me aware of yet another soft-rollout.

Kit
Expand your moderator at work
BadMagpie

BadMagpie to Temploy

to Temploy

Re: Optic internet speed increase coming soon?

Is that GPON or two lines or what?

Anyway, when one of the TV sales guys called yesterday (I only have Internet and phone so they were trying to pitch a TV package at me), he said that they could run fibre to my house. It's a 60+ year old house with the DEMARC on the back wall of the house with a line going to the telephone pole in the back lane. Are they really doing that now or is this not correct information?

RedRov
@telus.com

RedRov to BadMagpie

Anon

to BadMagpie
BadMagpie.

The reason why your residential DSL no longer works is because they replaced that line with the business line.

You will need a Telus tech to physically install a 2nd line and enable a port on it.

Badically he/she will split off two of the four wires coming into your house for the 2nd line.

Call in to Telus ASAP to get them to get this done and credit your account for the downtime on your redintial DSL since you have no physical connection to a port.
BadMagpie

BadMagpie

I already have a tech coming out on the 24th, but I'll let them know about the residential line being inaccessible.

Curious
@shawcable.net

Curious to bimmerdriver

Anon

to bimmerdriver
Can this be done on one pair, or does this require the use of two pairs coming in to your house. Talking about the internet 50 plan I mean.
I guess I'm wondering if they need access to the demarc point in my house?

RedRov
@telus.com

RedRov to BadMagpie

Anon

to BadMagpie
BadMagpie

You should still call in and lets accounts know that you are paying for a service that there is no physical connection to.

Get a credit for the downtime on your residential DSL at least.

I would.
zod5000
join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC

zod5000 to bimmerdriver

to bimmerdriver
Does telus still charge dry loop fees?

South_of_22
join:2009-03-23

South_of_22

said by zod5000:

Does telus still charge dry loop fees?

No.

Well... I don't get charged anyways.
Warbucks
join:2006-11-05
Edmonton, AB

Warbucks to bimmerdriver

to bimmerdriver
Just called Telus, Optik 50 is available in my area, but there aren't any ports available. I'm currently on Optik Turbo 25, does that mean in order to upgrade me they'll have to use two ports?
Symtex
join:2005-04-06
Burnaby, BC

Symtex

said by Warbucks:

Just called Telus, Optik 50 is available in my area, but there aren't any ports available. I'm currently on Optik Turbo 25, does that mean in order to upgrade me they'll have to use two ports?

Yes, it possible you need loop bonding to obtain that speed.

Luk
@162.106.6.x

Luk

Anon

Symtex, do you know if Telus is planning on increasing the upload speed at all for the 25mb package?
Symtex
join:2005-04-06
Burnaby, BC

Symtex

said by Luk :

Symtex, do you know if Telus is planning on increasing the upload speed at all for the 25mb package?

I doubt it but things can change.

RWiebe
join:2002-11-27
T8W 5K5

RWiebe to bimmerdriver

to bimmerdriver
Just talked to an agent and Optik 50 is not available yet in Grande Prairie according to his address tools.

Curious
@shawcable.net

Curious to Symtex

Anon

to Symtex
Does that mean they need two pairs coming into the house for this, or is this still done on one pair?

RedRov
@telus.com

RedRov to RWiebe

Anon

to RWiebe
Weird. I'm in GP and I was able to get Optik 50.
Located on 96th street.

Might be just your street then.

Kitlope
join:2004-07-29
Edmonton, Ab

Kitlope to bimmerdriver

to bimmerdriver
Just got my new Optik50 and I'm a happy camper. Wishing it was even more considering some of the down & up by other members here but I still can't complain. woohoo!

anno
@telus.com

anno to Curious

Anon

to Curious
Currently, the 50Mbps profile is only available to those on single loop. TELUS is using "bonding" to provide 15/25Mbps profiles with 3HD TV streams.
titan_rw
join:2007-08-23

titan_rw to bimmerdriver

to bimmerdriver
Just got mine changed. Convinced the rep that a software only order would be good enough to change from HS 25 to HS 50. It's the same port on the dslam, so there's no jumpers to change. The software change went through at around 5am.

Modem trained at the new vdsl 17a rates. Download was good, but upload was only 2.8. Tried bypassing my router, and hooking directly to the ALU. Still only 2.8 up. It is running the latest firmware. Hooked up the old actiontec that's collecting dust. It gave 10 up. So I swapped the ALU for another one. The new ALU is now giving 10 up. Very strange.

At lest I don't have to use the actiontec. The new firmware that will be automatically pushed out, disables the 'tech' login, so even Telus tech's won't have access to bridge mode, or changing the ip subnet it uses. Too bad.

Here's my speedtest.net: