share rss forum feed

Rob_
Premium
join:2008-07-16
Mary Esther, FL
kudos:1

Vonage and IRC

For some reason, vonage will spoof my IP to this:

[04:55:29] Local host: ec2-107-21-157-6.compute-1.amazonaws.com (107.21.157.6)

I have the firewall turned OFF on this thing. I don't need three firewalls on my computer (including router)

so, why would the vonage device spoof my IP?

Can I plug it in to the router vs Cable modem - Vonage - Router (as suggested)

This is the VDV23

-Rob

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

said by Rob_:

For some reason, vonage will spoof my IP to this:

[04:55:29] Local host: ec2-107-21-157-6.compute-1.amazonaws.com (107.21.157.6)

I have the firewall turned OFF on this thing. I don't need three firewalls on my computer (including router)

so, why would the vonage device spoof my IP?

Can I plug it in to the router vs Cable modem - Vonage - Router (as suggested)

This is the VDV23

-Rob

You did not say explicitly, but I suspect that you are currently doing it this way:

Cable modem---Router---Vonage ATA---PC(s)

I would suggest doing it this way:

Cable modem---Router--+-Vonage ATA
|
+--PC(s)

And here is a graphic image of the above, just in case your browser's font choice screws up the ASCII formatting:

I also suggest that you do a factory reset on the Vonage adaptor before you change where you connect it (since I don't know how you currently have it configured).

I have never had a problem with using even multiple Vonage adapters when connected as shown above.

--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

Rob_
Premium
Mary Esther, FL

Would having a router plugged into the Vonage affect it?

-Rob

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

1 edit

said by Rob_:

Would having a router plugged into the Vonage affect it?

-Rob

That would depend on what applications and devices you are using. If you have a typical residential ISP account, you have a single public IPv4 address, and any router (including the Vonage adapter) will need to be a NAT router. With two cascaded NAT routers, some applications (and devices) simply will not work well (if at all). The simplest solution is to use only one NAT router in front of all of your networked devices (and that includes the Vonage adapter). Of course, the universal YMMV disclaimer is always in effect.

OTOH, if you use your Vonage adapter as your primary (and only) router, and setup a secondary wireless router as only an access point (with only one of the routers having its internal DHCP server enabled, and the wireless router's LAN inteface on the same subnet as the Vonage adapter, and nothing connected to the wireless router's WAN interface), that would not be a cascaded NAT situation, and should work just fine.
--
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

Rob_
Premium
Mary Esther, FL

Now it's Modem - Router - Vonage and the strange IP is gone. It tends to load faster too.

Did a few test calls and it's fine. I put vonage in the DMZ so it thinks it's connected to the modem.

This isn't bad from $35 (centurybleh) to $13.33 a month,.

I found out 611 doesn't work, however.

Rob

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

said by Rob_:

Now it's Modem - Router - Vonage and the strange IP is gone. It tends to load faster too.

Did a few test calls and it's fine. I put vonage in the DMZ so it thinks it's connected to the modem.

This isn't bad from $35 (centurybleh) to $13.33 a month,.

I found out 611 doesn't work, however.

Rob

That is how I have always physically connected Vonage adapters (or any SIP based VoIP adapters). I am somewhat surprised that you needed to put the Vonage adapter in your router's DMZ since the Vonage adapter initiates and maintains the session with the Vonage call controller. But some routers are more restrictive than others about how certain protocols are handled, and perhaps your router does not have native support for NAT routing of SIP sessions.

As for no 611 functionality, to my knowledge, Vonage has never supported using 611 to call support, so that has nothing to do with your Vonage adapter's position in the IP food chain.
--
Expand your moderator at work