how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Bill_F

join:2010-02-09
Huntsville, AL

[Business] Any update on Business IPV6?

Has there been any update on Business IPV6?
I heard around the start of summer that Comcast tried to roll out a SMCD3G firmware that had "hidden" IPV6 support that wasn't turned on yet. Later the firmware was rolled back due to an issue.

It is now almost winter and we haven't heard any information from Comcast or seem them do any IPV6 business testing. (over the business specific DOCSIS modems anyway)

Does anyone at Comcast think this will happen soon (say next few months) on the SMCD3G? Is Comcast still waiting on firmware from SMC? Will we need new modems if SMC is too incompetent to fix the SMC to have a feature it should have had in the first place?

Has anything been decided on pricing per static IP yet?

Bill

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by Bill_F:

Later the firmware was rolled back due to an issue.

And that's why you won't see IPv6 on business accounts, until they are absolutely positive it is rock solid under any condition, and reasonably idiot resistant too.

NetFixer
Snarl For The Camera Please
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

said by tshirt:

said by Bill_F:

And that's why you won't see IPv6 on business accounts, until they are absolutely positive it is rock solid under any condition, and reasonably idiot resistant too.

Really? I have Comcast Business Class, but I have full native IPv4/IPv6 support.

C:\>ping www.comcast.net

Pinging a1526.dscg.akamai.net [2001:559:0:5d::1743:3d3b] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 2001:559:0:5d::1743:3d3b: time=47ms
Reply from 2001:559:0:5d::1743:3d3b: time=31ms
Reply from 2001:559:0:5d::1743:3d3b: time=32ms
Reply from 2001:559:0:5d::1743:3d3b: time=32ms

Ping statistics for 2001:559:0:5d::1743:3d3b:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 31ms, Maximum = 47ms, Average = 35ms

C:\>tracert www.comcast.net

Tracing route to a1526.dscg.akamai.net [2001:559:0:5d::1743:3d3b]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  2601:5:c80:40:a221:b7ff:fe9c:602
  2    21 ms    20 ms    26 ms  2001:558:4013:19::1
  3    35 ms     9 ms    10 ms  xe-4-0-0-0-sur01.murfreesboro.tn.nash.comcast.net [2001:558:162:32::1]
  4    11 ms    10 ms    11 ms  xe-3-1-2-0-ar03.nashville.tn.nash.comcast.net [2001:558:160:a::1]
  5    25 ms    26 ms    27 ms  pos-2-10-0-0-cr01.350ecermak.il.ibone.comcast.net [2001:558:0:f7f4::1]
  6    30 ms    35 ms    23 ms  2001:558:0:f60c::1
  7    33 ms    31 ms    35 ms  2001:558:0:f569::2
  8    35 ms    35 ms    35 ms  pos-0-2-0-0-pe01.56marietta.ga.ibone.comcast.net [2001:558:0:f5a9::2]
  9    31 ms    37 ms    32 ms  2001:559:0:5d::1743:3d3b

Trace complete.

What I don't have is the SMC gateway running in gateway mode.
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

said by NetFixer:

Really? I have Comcast Business Class, but I have full native IPv4/IPv6 support.

I think it's a matter of location, and CMTS support, even more than a given modem, but my point is they won't even offer it to business, UNLESS they believe the cmts/modem combo is totally stable.
While residental early adoptors accept possible (rare) glitches could happen, reliablity is vital to actual business operations.

NetFixer
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

2 recommendations

said by tshirt:

said by NetFixer:

I think it's a matter of location, and CMTS support, even more than a given modem, but my point is they won't even offer it to business, UNLESS they believe the cmts/modem combo is totally stable.
While residental early adoptors accept possible (rare) glitches could happen, reliablity is vital to actual business operations.

If the local CMTS and the customer's modem both support IPv6, then the connection should support IPv6. I don't think that being a residential or business class customer has anything to do with it (other than that probably the majority of business class customers are using an SMC gateway, and the SMC gateway does not support native IPv6 except in bridge mode).

If I use either my SMCD3G-CCR in bridge mode, or my SB6121, I get full native IPv4/IPv6 support. If I used the SMCD3G-CCR in gateway mode, or if I used my old DOCSIS 2 D-Link DCM202, I didn't get native IPv6. However, I could use Comcast's 6to4 tunnel with the SMCD3G for static IP configured devices, and the 6to4 tunnel also worked with the DCM202. The limiting factor in my case was always the modem being used.

But of course, if the local CMTS does not support native IPv6, then nobody connected to it (business class or residential) would be able to use native IPv6.
--
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA

said by NetFixer:

If the local CMTS and the customer's modem both support IPv6, then the connection should support IPv6. I don't think that being a residential or business class customer has anything to do with it (other than that probably the majority of business class customers are using an SMC gateway, and the SMC gateway does not support native IPv6 except in bridge mode).

^ This. When I directly connected my SB6120 to my PC a few weeks ago, I got an IPv6 address, and the Comcast test showed no problems. My area is on an Arris CMTS and I'm on business-class.
--
KI6RIT

jlivingood
Premium,VIP
join:2007-10-28
Philadelphia, PA
kudos:2
reply to Bill_F

All I can say is we're working on it actively. (I just got an update on this on my elevator ride to lunch - so we're definitely focused on it and appreciate your patience.)
--
JL
Comcast

DrDeke

join:2004-05-18
Ypsilanti, MI
reply to NetFixer

said by NetFixer :

If I use either my SMCD3G-CCR in bridge mode

How did you get your SMCD3G-CCR into bridge mode?

NetFixer
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

1 recommendation

said by DrDeke:

said by NetFixer :

If I use either my SMCD3G-CCR in bridge mode

How did you get your SMCD3G-CCR into bridge mode?

I called 1-800-391-3000 until I found a CSR with the knowledge and willingness to do it.

The biggest ongoing problem with using the SMCD3G-CCR in bridge mode is that neither you nor a Comcast CSR can see it when it is in bridge mode (no access to stats and it is not even pingable via its normal WAN or LAN interfaces...so troubleshooting is difficult to say the least). It is visible through the CMTS maintenance interface, but apparently that is not the normal path that is used by tier 1 CSRs, and that is one of the reasons I was given by more than one CSR who claimed to know how to do it, but yet refused to do it. Although the most common excuse (and totally bogus for technical reasons) was that you had to have a static IP account before you could use bridge mode.

My advice to any dynamic IP business class customer who is having problems with the SMCD3G's poor NAT implementation (or who wants/needs native IPv6 functionality), is to first find a CSR who can/will put it into bridge mode (they are there, you just have to be persistent), and if that fixes your problem(s), get an SB612x to replace the SMCD3G rather than mess with the ongoing hassle of the SMCD3G's bridge mode limitations (and Comcast's reluctance to enable and/or support it).
--

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA
kudos:7
Reviews:
·PenTeleData
·Verizon Online DSL

said by NetFixer:

The biggest ongoing problem with using the SMCD3G-CCR in bridge mode is that neither you nor a Comcast CSR can see it when it is in bridge mode (no access to stats and it is not even pingable via its normal WAN or LAN interfaces...so troubleshooting is difficult to say the least).

So, let me get this straight..

If your RJ-45 WAN port router's LAN IP is not in the same subnet as the modem combo's LAN IP, if the RJ-45 WAN port router's WAN type is set to static and that WAN IP is in the same subnet as the modem combo's LAN IP: You can't talk to the modem combo?

An example of same subnet: LAN IP of modem combo = 192.168.1.1
and WAN IP of RJ-45 WAN port router = 192.168.1.2

Thanks
--
Please use the "yellow (IM) envelope" to contact me and please leave the URL intact.

NetFixer
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

1 recommendation

said by aefstoggaflm:

said by NetFixer:

The biggest ongoing problem with using the SMCD3G-CCR in bridge mode is that neither you nor a Comcast CSR can see it when it is in bridge mode (no access to stats and it is not even pingable via its normal WAN or LAN interfaces...so troubleshooting is difficult to say the least).

If your RJ-45 WAN port router's LAN IP is not in the same subnet as the modem combo's LAN IP, if the RJ-45 WAN port router's WAN type is set to static and that WAN IP is in the same subnet as the modem combo's LAN IP: You can't talk to the modem combo?

Thanks

No, what I said was that if the SMCD3G-CCR is put into bridge mode, then it becomes purely a layer2 bridge in the payload IP path, and is effectively invisible from both the LAN and WAN (just like a simple non-managed switch). In that mode it is only visible to the CMTS; and I have been told by Comcast CSRs that a typical tier one CSR does not have direct access to that path, so it is also invisible to (most?) tier one CSRs. If the SMCD3G is in its factory default gateway (RG) mode, there is no problem with IP accessibility from the LAN (or from the WAN for Comcast tier one CSRs).

That invisibility to both me and the tier one CSR who answered my support call is why the problem I described in this thread: »[Connectivity] Comcast outage (not) caused an unnecessary truck roll for a local Comcast tech (as it turned out, it was a Comcast problem, but not one that a truck roll could fix).
--

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium
Bethlehem, PA
Reviews:
·PenTeleData
·Verizon Online DSL

2 edits

said by NetFixer:

said by aefstoggaflm:

said by NetFixer:

Thanks

No, what I said was that if the SMCD3G-CCR is put into bridge mode, then it becomes purely a layer2 bridge in the payload IP path, and is effectively invisible from both the LAN and WAN (just like a simple non-managed switch). In that mode it is only visible to the CMTS; and I have been told by Comcast CSRs that a typical tier one CSR does not have direct access to that path, so it is also invisible to (most?) tier one CSRs. If the SMCD3G is in its factory default gateway (RG) mode, there is no problem with IP accessibility from the LAN (or from the WAN for Comcast tier one CSRs).

Interesting, that is the weirdest thing that I have ever read about/heard of.

[EDIT]I can take an educated as to why.

At »Verizon Online DSL FAQ »How do I use a router with the Westell 6100? it only says to change to Bridge - Bridge and to disable the DHCP Server. If it was a wireless modem combo, one would want to disable the wireless feature too.

While that FAQ is for DSL on Verizon: I think that the techs who put the modem combo into bridge mode, disabled the private LAN feature.
--
Please use the "yellow (IM) envelope" to contact me and please leave the URL intact.

NetFixer
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

said by aefstoggaflm:

Interesting, that is the weirdest thing that I have ever read about/heard of.

[EDIT]I can take an educated as to why.

At »Verizon Online DSL FAQ »How do I use a router with the Westell 6100? it only says to change to Bridge - Bridge and to disable the DHCP Server. If it was a wireless modem combo, one would want to disable the wireless feature too.

While that FAQ is for DSL on Verizon: I think that the techs who put the modem combo into bridge mode, disabled the private LAN feature.

No, the engineer(s) who wrote the firmware for the SMCD3G-CCR designed it that way (this is a well known deficiency of this device). There would be no reason for a Comcast CSR to deliberately disable something that made things more difficult for them to do their own job. OTOH, an engineer/coder who would never be called upon to support/troubleshoot the SMCD3G-CCR could care less how difficult that stupid coding decision makes life for both the customer and the ISP support staff.

I have another layer 2 device (my SamKnows box) that is similarly invisible on the LAN side (although it does have a non-standard SSH port open on its WAN side for SamKnows support to use, and it does at least respond to pings on its WAN interface).
--

noisefloor

join:2010-05-09

1 recommendation

The device responds fine in scout, which just uses what the cmts polls using snmp. It probably just doesn't show up in grandslam (pos lol). I've had my D3G in bridge mode for a couple years now, I set it myself when I worked there. The problem is they need to telnet into the gateway and use the ven rg 0 command from the cable mode within the telnet session. They would need to telnet to the wan management IP which won't pickup via browser/gui anymore (which im sure is what's concerning them).

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to tshirt

said by tshirt:

said by Bill_F:

Which idiot, customer or installer?

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium
Bethlehem, PA
Reviews:
·PenTeleData
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to noisefloor

said by noisefloor:

The device responds fine in scout, which just uses what the cmts polls using snmp. It probably just doesn't show up in grandslam (pos lol). I've had my D3G in bridge mode for a couple years now, I set it myself when I worked there. The problem is they need to telnet into the gateway and use the ven rg 0 command from the cable mode within the telnet session.

Please tell us how you do to do that.

For example, one of the things that you might say:

#1 You must have the RJ-45 WAN port router LAN IP in a different subnet from the modem combo's LAN IP. Please see the manual / user's guide for your RJ-45 WAN port router if you don't know how to change the LAN IP.

--