dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
Speedy Petey
join:2008-01-19

Speedy Petey to John Galt6

to John Galt6

Re: Why only 1 ground terminal and 2 hot/neutral on receptacles?

said by John Galt6:

The 'proper way' is to pigtail all conductors prior to connection to the device.

Sorry, but this is NOT the "proper" way. It is one way.
said by John Galt6:

In my jurisdiction that is mandatory, even though the Code requires it only on MWBCs.

Is this in writing somewhere? Or do they just like to see it?

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

said by Speedy Petey:

What is the "proper" way? Or were you just saying that there is no one "proper" way?
Zach
Premium Member
join:2006-11-26
Llano, CA

1 edit

Zach

Premium Member

said by alkizmo:

said by Speedy Petey:

What is the "proper" way? Or were you just saying that there is no one "proper" way?

If the circuit in question is NOT a MWBC, either feeding through the device and pig-tailing is generally acceptable. Some AHJ's require and some ECs prefer to pig-tail. For MWBCs, feeding through the device isn't allowed on the grounded conductors. Obviously, in the case of GFCI receptacles, you have no choice but to feed through if you are also protecting loads down-stream.

Edit to add:

300.13 Mechanical and Electrical Continuity - Conductors

(B) Device Removal. In multiwire branch circuits, the continuity of a grounded conductor shall not depend on device connections such as lampholders, receptacles, and so forth, where the removal of such devices would interrupt the continuity.

I always tail where possible.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

1 edit

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

said by Zach:

said by alkizmo:

said by Speedy Petey:

If the circuit in question is NOT a MWBC, either feeding through the device and pig-tailing is generally acceptable. Some AHJ's require and some ECs prefer to pig-tail. For MWBCs, feeding through the device isn't allowed. Obviously, in the case of GFCI receptacles, you have no choice but to feed through if you are also protecting loads down-stream.

They don't have to be pigtailed on non MWBC circuits but:

the neutrals must be pigtailed on MWBC installation.

300.13 Mechanical and Electrical Continuity — Conductors
(B) Device Removal In multiwire branch circuits, the continuity of a grounded conductor shall not depend on device connections such as lampholders, receptacles, and so forth, where the removal of such devices would interrupt the continuity.

Losing a neutral on a MWBC
Zach
Premium Member
join:2006-11-26
Llano, CA

Zach

Premium Member

said by Jack_in_VA:

They don't have to be pigtailed on non MWBC circuits but:

the neutrals must be pigtailed on MWBC installation.

300.13 Mechanical and Electrical Continuity — Conductors
(B) Device Removal In multiwire branch circuits, the continuity of a grounded conductor shall not depend on device connections such as lampholders, receptacles, and so forth, where the removal of such devices would interrupt the continuity.

Posts and edits must have crossed. Since I don't usually feed-through, I had to find the text.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

I was doing an edit sorry
bigjoesmith
join:2000-11-21
Peoria, IL

bigjoesmith to Jack_in_VA

to Jack_in_VA
I love that power point!
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to alkizmo

Premium Member

to alkizmo
said by alkizmo:

said by Speedy Petey:

The 'proper' way is whatever code says in your jurisdiction. Canadian & US electrical codes differ in some areas of practice.