Search similar:

uniqs

Insight6
join:2012-08-25

Insight6 to Weirdal

to Weirdal

Re: DSLR Avatars; Telephone Customer Service Representatives

Thanks for the input on the CS reps!

As for the size of avatars--the standard in most modern forum sites/boards and so on is users are limited to a MAXIMUM size for their Avatar and are significantly limited to shape--the finished image usually has to be square or very close to it.

So the maximum many be the industry standard of 100 x 100 or 120 x 120 but the member can choose a 50 x 50 if they want--just as long as it conforms to the shape requirement.

Thank you sincerely for both the quality of your explanation and the time you took to write and post it.

However, it appears to me in interpreting your post that it seems by inference and some fact to indirectly substantiate what I said.

The current avatar 50 x 50, way small by industry standard, size is on the current, "clunky" outdated forum software just too complicated to offer up what I explain above in terms of choice.

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium Member
join:2005-03-01
Polar Park

vaxvms

Premium Member

industry standard ???

dandelion
MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN

dandelion to Insight6

MVM

to Insight6
No one said DSLR is the "current" forum "standard". In fact I very much enjoy it's uniqueness and hope it doesn't go to the "standard" thanking my luck that Justin decided to go through all the effort to restart the forum after last summer.

As far as avatar size, I don't care.. I can see 50X50 without using my glasses or squinting and it isn't blurry like the 40X40 could be.

Maybe outdated? Not sure, I do know there are probably more members on DSLR then most other forums.

Weirdal
Premium Member
join:2003-06-28
Grand Island, NE

Weirdal to Insight6

Premium Member

to Insight6
said by Insight6:

The current avatar 50 x 50, way small by industry standard, size is on the current, "clunky" outdated forum software just too complicated to offer up what I explain above in terms of choice.

I've read this sentence a few times now and still don't know what you're trying to say.

The forum software here is custom-built, and certainly robust enough to allow for avatars of any size. After all, avatar sizes have changed plenty of times in the past. The problem is that this forum, unlike any other forum that I know of, allows users to create a custom user-box layout that has very few limitations at all. If you can't enforce a standard user-box layout, you can't radically change avatar sizes because it will screw up layout for MANY people.

For example, here's my custom layout I designed:

Increasing avatar size would force me to change that layout completely. A lot of other users would be in the same boat.

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium Member
join:2005-03-01
Polar Park

1 recommendation

vaxvms to Insight6

Premium Member

to Insight6

rockotman
...Blown On The Steel Breeze
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06
DSotM

1 recommendation

rockotman to Insight6

Premium Member

to Insight6
Anyone can create a big, fat 100X100 avatar.

Only a truly creative graphics guru (and you claim you want to express your creativity) can master an animated 50X50 avatar with a 8K size limit without it looking like crap.

Get creative.

Insight6

1 edit

Insight6

Now proven by the repetitive standardized Pavlovian response and near boilerplate posts---the option to have different size or larger avatars is too much for DSLR the site, the software, and many of the members--mostly members from the stone age or at least the last century and in many cases, (not all, NOT ALL), indicative or the same concept why we have term limits for politicians.

I vote that we just change everyone's avatar to that of Linus with his blanket!

Also as mentioned Premium* wasn't working when I joined but I am not motivated to pay 10 bucks to get a 50 x 50 avatar. (Fact is I've never belonged to a forum where you had to pay to get an avatar.) Or did I misunderstand a previous comment that said you had to "upgrade" to premium to get an avatar?

Meanwhile how about those telephone customer service reps? Never mind. Linus doesn't care about telephone customer service reps!

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium Member
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut

Premium Member

No, you don't need to be premium to use an avatar. I don't recall reading that at all.

Insight6

1 recommendation

Insight6

I am so sick of telephone customer service representatives. First off, restricting just those that speak English as their first language and are living and working in the US:

They talk one hundred miles an hours. So fast that even when they actually say something that if you saw a transcript would make perfect sense they talk so fracking fast one's mind responds to their blather as what the hell did they just say. Whether they are asking or answering a question it comes across as incomprehensible. It is as if the concept of the period or word separation has ceased to exist.

Then there are those that speak English as their second language, some in this country or worse outsourced. They fall into two categories:

The worse their English they think that the faster they talk the better it will be as no one will notice they can barely speak English. (You can't make this stuff up.)

Then there are those from certain overseas cultures that repeat religiously, like its a religious chant actually, over, and over, "I apologize" that... Every sentence of every thing they says contains the phrase "I apologize."

Finally, the CS rep, usually but not all ways outsource, that doesn't understand or hear a word you say as they are totally absorbed in looking at their computer interface CS data in front of them. I swear half the time instead of asking them a standard question or making a standard comment you could toss in a "You mother wears army boots when she screws" and they would reply, "I apologize for the inconvenience"

And the problems just get worse as the voice quality of telephone calls understandably decrease with greater dependency on cellular as the telephone source.

Weirdal
Premium Member
join:2003-06-28
Grand Island, NE

1 recommendation

Weirdal to Insight6

Premium Member

to Insight6
said by Insight6:

Now proven by the repetitive standardized Pavlovian response and near boilerplate posts---the option to have different size or larger avatars is too much for DSLR the site, the software, and many of the members--mostly members from the stone age or at least the last century and in many cases, (not all, NOT ALL), indicative or the same concept why we have term limits for politicians.

I vote that we just change everyone's avatar to that of Linus with his blanket!

Also as mentioned Premium* was working when I joined but I am not motivated to pay 10 bucks to get a 50 x 50 avatar. (Fact is I've never belonged to a forum where you had to pay to get an avatar.) Or did I misunderstand a previous comment that said you had to "upgrade" to premium to get an avatar?

Meanwhile how about those telephone customer service reps? Never mind. Linus doesn't care about telephone customer service reps!

Resorting to insults after being given a perfectly logical explanation. You are the worst.

Have you tried taking a step back and realizing that you are not the beautiful, unique snowflake that you think you are? Not every place of discussion online has to be an outlet for you to express your inner creativity with an elaborate avatar. This is a forum for technical discussions, first and foremost, and having gigantic avatars that are "industry standard" (wtf?) size adds nothing to that experience. In fact, most members would say (and have said) that it detracts.

Allowing users to customize their user-box displays is a great feature, and it's something that comes at the cost of not allowing avatars of all shapes and sizes. DSLR is the only forum that I know of that allows such robust control of the layout. The fact that you would rather have large avatars instead of that feature is insane.

Insight6

Insight6

said by Weirdal:

Resorting to insults after being given a perfectly logical explanation. You are the worst.

Have you tried taking a step back and realizing that you are not the beautiful, unique snowflake that you think you are? Not every place of discussion online has to be an outlet for you to express your inner creativity with an elaborate avatar. This is a forum for technical discussions....[by Insight: LOL, sorry, I can't go on quoting anymore. Technical discussion like your post. OK. I sincerely hope you continue to enjoy the site and all of its features.]

Are you familiar with the psychological concept of projection? No? Yes? If not you should look it up and learn it.
Insight6

Insight6

said by Insight6:

I am so sick of telephone customer service representatives. First off, restricting just those that speak English as their first language and are living and working in the US:

They talk one hundred miles an hours. So fast that even when they actually say something that if you saw a transcript of it only then you might make sense...still they talk so fracking fast one's mind responds to their blather as what the hell did they just say? Whether they are asking or answering a question it comes across as incomprehensible. It is as if the concept of the period or word separation has ceased to exist.

Then there are those that speak English as their second language, some in this country or worse outsourced. They fall into two categories:

The worse their English is then they think that the faster they talk the better it will be as no one will notice they can barely speak English. (You can't make this stuff up.)

Then there are those from certain overseas cultures that repeat religiously, like its a religious chant actually, over, and over, "I apologize" that... Every sentence of every thing they says contains the phrase "I apologize."

Finally, the CS rep, usually but not all ways outsource, that doesn't understand or hear a word you say as they are totally absorbed in looking at their computer interface CS data in front of them. I swear half the time instead of asking them a standard question or making a standard comment you could toss in a "You mother wears army boots when she screws" and they would reply, "I apologize for the inconvenience"

And the problems just get worse as the voice quality of telephone calls understandably decrease with greater dependency on cellular as the telephone source.

That's sure the way I see it and personally experience it. Hope others have had and are having a better experience but I suspect many have shared my perspective.

La Luna
Fly With The Angels My Beloved Son Chris
Premium Member
join:2001-07-12
New Port Richey, FL

La Luna to Insight6

Premium Member

to Insight6
Seek, and ye shall find:

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium Member
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC

1 recommendation

Juggernaut to Insight6

Premium Member

to Insight6
said by Insight6:

said by Insight6:

They talk one hundred miles an hours. So fast that even when they actually say something that if you saw a transcript of it only then you might make sense...still they talk so fracking fast one's mind responds to their blather as what the hell did they just say? Whether they are asking or answering a question it comes across as incomprehensible. It is as if the concept of the period or word separation has ceased to exist.

The worse their English is then they think that the faster they talk the better it will be as no one will notice they can barely speak English. (You can't make this stuff up.)

That's sure the way I see it and personally experience it. Hope others have had and are having a better experience but I suspect many have shared my perspective.

Replying to yourself? How interesting.

Insight6

Insight6

said by Juggernaut:

Replying to yourself? How interesting.

It's the completely logical and cleaver thing to do given ALL of the other posts in this thread on the OP subject of customer service reps.

It bypasses the both the logical, reasonable posts about the other topic, on avatars, in the OP as well as the the few minority in number mentally irregular posts by the obsessed about avatars.

By responding to myself it at least gives a good topic the opportunity to be jump started commented upon by others.

Cthen
Premium Member
join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI

1 edit

Cthen to Insight6

Premium Member

to Insight6
said by Insight6:

said by Robert:

Would larger avatars make your visit to this site more enjoyable?

Yes, its a question of personal creativity or expression. The current size limitation is like being asked to describe your life in 10 words or less, and cite four life experiences of interest.

Larger or the size avatar I refer to are the industry standard. Doesn't one of the largest and most prestigious sites like DSLR offer their members the same level of personal expression and creativity as the so many lesser sites?

The question you and others that share the view the current size is fine should be asking the SERIOUS question why aren't the members offered the 100x100 or 120x120 size. DSLR should provide a SERIOUS answer of substance to that question.

So in other words you mean that you would like to express even further to everyone here that you are a bigot, racist, and wish slavery was still around? Am I perceiving your expression correctly by the current expression in your avatar?

Insight6

Insight6

said by Cthen:

So in other you mean that you would like to express even further to everyone here that you are a bigot, racist, and wish slavery was still around? Am I perceiving your expression correctly by the current expression in your avatar?

You need even more than one other previous poster to study or learn the psychological concept and in your particular case the affliction and influence of "projection."

Slavery is and was the most heinous crime committed by man against man over time.

I'm not a bigot. I even tolerate illogical bigoted ingnorant rants like yours coming out of nowhere--even when based upon a wild imagination, hostility, and historical ignorance. In fact there is zero basis anywhere in this thread for you to make such a post not to mention one that is completely off topic and a blatant trolling attempt. I know you aren't trying to start a blatant flame war becasue you lack the ammunition in a variety of categories.

All people as a class including but not limited to race, gender, sexual orientation, citizenship, or global location are completely equal in their worth as humans or persons. There is no difference. We all are of equal worth and value.

Dude, get some help.

Cthen
Premium Member
join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI

Cthen

Premium Member

So wait here, your getting all bent out of shape over that saying there is no fact? Despite the fact of what the pic of your avatar usually tends to represent? (Which is out here in the wide open)

It's ok, I see this all the time around the internet. No one will agree with you, point out your flaws in what you said, then you pretend that you might actually know something. Let me guess, you get long winded with phone reps too when you don't get what you want?

Insight6

Insight6

Dude, get some help. Really man.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

1 edit

Mele20 to Robert

Premium Member

to Robert
said by Robert:

said by Insight6:

You aren't asking the question or any question, you are just assuming facts not in evidence, wildly speculating, and compensating for your puny avatar. (Insert good-nature sticking out tongue smilie--also not available.)

Having been a member for over a decade, your question about larger avatars has been brought up more times than I can count.. and the outcome is the same.. us regular members are OK with the current layout.

Where did you get that idea? You notice I don't have an Avatar and I am a Premium member. I hate the tiny size and have said so many times but there is not much point in voicing opinions here regarding the site itself because ONE person makes the decisions here and that person sometimes listen to what members want but other times ignores what many want. But that is OK because this is a site that is owned by one person. It is Justin's personal site and as the sole owner he can, and does, do as he pleases. Our choices are to accept his decisions.

Not only do I not have an avatar because they are way too tiny, but also I have chosen to NOT see any avatars here so I have no idea what any of you have. I'd like to see other's avatars but not tiny ones. I prefer to see NONE rather than see tiny ones. I also don't like how they are sitting incorrectly in the author column ...they are cockeye a bit and Justin did that also deliberately. So, for both reasons I decided to stop seeing avatars shortly after "I See People" became available to members here. I like I See People because it saves me other irritation that is in the author column because while this site resides in the USA the owner is not from the USA thus we see weird renditions of the date of joining, etc in the author column instead of what USA citizens are accustomed to seeing. So, with I See People I can not have to see any of that instead of how it should be that date and time is seen according the member's accustomed method (set in our profile) or site default which should be USA method since the site in in the USA.
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4 to Insight6

to Insight6
I wish the site would disable the animation. I hate animated avatars.