uniqs
share rss forum feed

ronmar1938

join:1999-12-21
Laurel, MD
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Problems with second router on Coax

I set up a second router following the instruction in the FAQs. It worked fine for several months, then the Network Light started blinking. I have checked over all the steps that I used when I first set up the router and nothing has changed. Anyone have any suggestions other than replacing the router?

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:30

Have you checked you MOCA LAN stats?
»Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »How to check MOCA stats?
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

ronmar1938

Laurel, MD

I see 3 figures in the 23x area for three device. I have 2 STBs and the router so I assume one of the figures is for the second router. When I check the Lan sats for the second router I see 152 for device 3.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA

152Mbps is not a functional MOCA signal.

Bad MOCA stats are usually indicative of a cabling or splitter problem. Check that all your splitters are bi-directional and are rated 1Ghz or better. Retighten all coax connections.

If that doesn't help, try moving the second router to another location. If the bad MOCA stats follow the router, then you probably have a bad router.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

ronmar1938

Laurel, MD

I changed the splitter and the cable from the splitter to the router. I see 164 for lan stats on device 3. Looks like I have a bad router? Thank you for your assistance.
Ron

ronmar1938

Laurel, MD
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to More Fiber

I disconnected the two items that are normally connected to the second router. I still see two devices which I can not identify. One of them is Device 3 IP 169.254.1.100 Mac Address 00:21:80:49:7e:d9 Device 2 IP 169.254.1.184 Mac Address 74:f6:12:f3:14:184 . There is nothing connected to the ethernet slots on the router and I have turned of wireless connection. How do I disconnect these two IPs?
Ron

kes601

join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA
kudos:2

Those MAC #s are Motorola devices, so they pretty much have to be STBs / DVRs.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA
reply to ronmar1938

Device 2 doesn't have a valid IP address, so it's not getting to the DHCP server on the Actiontec.
--

nycdave
Premium,MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY
kudos:16

Those are private, non-routable IP's that the STB's are reporting - since they can't reach a DHCP server. In this case, it is the BHR's DHCP server they can't reach.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA

LOL. I knew as soon as I posted that someone was going to take exception to my calling 169.254.x.x invalid addresses (I was in a hurry).

169.254 addresses are indeed valid IP addresses, but as nycdave See Profile indicates, they are self assigned Link Local addresses. The STBs use the 169.254 addresses in two situations:
1) If the STB is unable to contact the Actiontec DHCP server.
2) Link local addresses are also used by the STBs to communicate configuration information among themselves.
--

ronmar1938

Laurel, MD
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Problem solved:
I realized that my problem with the blinking light began when I put a splitter before my second DVR. I checked the splitter that had been installed by Verizon and found a small unit between the incoming line from the ONT and the splitter. I removed it and put the line directly into the splitter. No more blinking light. Thank everyone for your help.
Ron

kes601

Virginia Beach, VA

Ahh, must have had an attenuator on the line, splitting it attenuated it again which could cause issues (and obviously did).

JoeyD

@verizon.net
reply to ronmar1938

said by ronmar1938:

found a small unit between the incoming line from the ONT and the splitter. I removed it and put the line directly into the splitter. No more blinking light.

Hmmm. An attenuator?

kes601

Virginia Beach, VA

Yes, installers put attenuators in during FiOS installs because the signal is so hot coming from the ONT they need to lower it in some instances.

FFJOHNL312
Premium
join:2007-12-16
Pawtucket, RI
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to ronmar1938

said by ronmar1938:

Problem solved:
I realized that my problem with the blinking light began when I put a splitter before my second DVR. I checked the splitter that had been installed by Verizon and found a small unit between the incoming line from the ONT and the splitter. I removed it and put the line directly into the splitter. No more blinking light. Thank everyone for your help.
Ron

Picture of said small unit?

FFJOHNL312
Premium
Pawtucket, RI
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to kes601

said by kes601:

Yes, installers put attenuators in during FiOS installs because the signal is so hot coming from the ONT they need to lower it in some instances.

nycdave can correct me if something has changed in the past 6 months, but there should be no need to place an attenuator, and if one is needed, it is supposed to go right at the input of the STB, not on the in port of a splitter.

kes601

Virginia Beach, VA

During my install 4 (?) yrs ago, the installer put the attenuators at my splitters......

ronmar1938

Laurel, MD

My install was about 4 years ago also. I only had 3 units on the coax line. I had two STBs and the router. Now each of the STB lines has a 3 way splitter. That is the reason I needed to take out the attenuator.
Ron

FFJOHNL312
Premium
Pawtucket, RI

That explains it. The change in what VZ considers 'acceptable' RF levels at the STB happened about 2-3 years ago, IIRC.