spc
Search similar:

uniqs
dgrodzuik
join:2012-10-08
Tumbler Ridge, BC

dgrodzuik

[BC] Slow speeds in evenings

I live in Tumbler Ridge BC (North Eastern BC near Dawson Creek). We've just had Telus install DSL beginning of Sept.

I routinely am seeing slow speeds in the evening, have called tech support repeatedly and have gotten no resolution.

Their sending me a replacement modem to test to see if it is the modem, but I doubt it. Anyone else in the Peace region have evening slow downs with Telus?
crushingit
join:2012-10-07
Courtenay, BC

1 edit

crushingit

* They pay me to break things *
dgrodzuik
join:2012-10-08
Tumbler Ridge, BC

dgrodzuik

No I haven't. Why should i have to buy a modem? I'm paying enough each month for the service. I have a VSG1432.
crushingit
Courtenay, BC

1 edit

crushingit

* It works to well now *
Nick96
join:2012-06-04
Edmonton, AB

Nick96 to dgrodzuik

to dgrodzuik
I'm not sure what crushingit is trying to sell you since Docsis is a cable internet technology and VDSL is a DSL technology, so they're not even close to compatible with each other and I've never heard of a modem with both. The modem you have is Telus official and you shouldn't have to pay extra for hardware. If you're having slow speeds, there might be a line problem, or you might have a faulty modem. The only thing remotely close to spyware in the modems is TR-69 which is used for remote access to your modem only by Telus to update it and possibly diagnose problems if needed. Nothing else and no one else really has access. I wouldn't trust crushingit if I were you since nothing he's saying really makes any sense. If I'm totally wrong about crushingit, sorry, but from what I can see what you're up to isn't good. Even if this guy has a modem to sell you, a modem from France likely won't work here since their DSL and cable internet technologies differ from ones in North America.
Nick96

Nick96 to dgrodzuik

to dgrodzuik
Sounds like you might have an over-subscribed DSLAM (which a new modem wouldn't fix) and the only advice I can give you is to keep calling Telus. I'm sorry I can't be of much help, but there are more experienced users that usually respond within a day, so keep checking back.
crushingit
Courtenay, BC

1 edit

crushingit

*not cost efficient*
Nick96
Edmonton, AB

Nick96

I'm not making fun of you at all. I'm just saying that I have never heard of a modem supporting Docsis and DSL. The problem the OP is having is extremely unlikely to even be caused by the modem and modems from France don't work here as far as I know.
crushingit
Courtenay, BC

1 edit

crushingit

*unimportant*
Nick96
Edmonton, AB

Nick96

Oh ok. Well anyways, this is an individual resident, not a company. I'm sorry I was so harsh on my first post, but accusing ISPs of installing spyware on modems is an interesting accusation.
crushingit
Courtenay, BC

1 edit

crushingit

*slaved through Nortel unmanned office*

»www.nortel-canada.com/em ··· conduct/
Nick96
Edmonton, AB

Nick96

That's a different ISP in a different part of Canada... Switching internet off only really happens in the U.S. from what I've heard.
Nick96

Nick96 to dgrodzuik

to dgrodzuik
Nortel also went bankrupt in 2009, so they no longer provide service.