mob
On the next level..
Premium
join:2000-10-07
Reviews:
·SureWest Internet

LED lightbulbs

»www.usa.philips.com/c/led-light-···/prd/en/

I have been very impressed with the two bulbs I have purchased so far. I use them in the kitchen/dining area of my home. Several people that have been over have commented on the quality of the light, and a few friends that were on the fence decided to get them after seeing them in action in the real world.

The light is very easy on my eyes, and is very similar to a 60W incandescent bulb in terms of color temp.

Once they drop in price by 50% and make a 3 way bulb, I will most likely update my whole house to LED light bulbs.
--
Ich habe kein Mitleid - Me
You're a daisy if you do. - Doc Holliday
And as always, have nice day.

Zach1
Premium
join:2006-11-26
NW Minnesota

I've switched nearly everything to LED over the last year. It helped that a local electrical supply house was selling those Phillips Award Winning Bulbs for $18.00. Being able to light the entire house using less than 400W, not hearing "Zaaaaaach, the light in the [insert area that's a pain to get to] is out again" every week, the color rendering and their performance with dimmers are all nice. As an added bonus, every topic on here about LED lamps eventually turns into a pie-throwing contest.
--
Zach

rfhar
The World Sport, Played In Every Country
Premium
join:2001-03-26
Buicktown,Mi
reply to mob

I am interested in how long they will last. I have some fixtures where CFL's only last about a year instead of the seven they advertise.

SparkChaser
Premium
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to mob

Yes, that Philips is nice with a spherical radiation. The first one I bought was basically a half a sphere.

Philips does have a $5 rebate going.

Let me go look for my raincoat for when the pies start flying.

fifty nine

join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ
kudos:2
reply to mob

No complaints with the 4 I have here. The price isn't too bad. $12 for 40w equiv and $15 for 60w equiv. They are supposed to last 22 years.

Ken
Premium,MVM
join:2003-06-16
Markle, IN

said by fifty nine:

No complaints with the 4 I have here. The price isn't too bad. $12 for 40w equiv and $15 for 60w equiv. They are supposed to last 22 years.

For the Philips ones? If yes then those prices are heavily subsidized by someone else.

fifty nine

Sussex, NJ

said by Ken:

said by fifty nine:

For the Philips ones? If yes then those prices are heavily subsidized by someone else.

Probably subsidized by NJ electric rate payers via the societal benefits charge on their electric bill but usually when there is subsidized pricing there is a sign in the store to that effect. In fact, Costco tells you how much they are subsidized.

I haven't seen one at Home Depot but I have seen it at Costco.

While I think the charge is wrong, I'm not one to turn down a bargain.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to Ken

said by Ken:

said by fifty nine:

+1

I think I'll just stick with my CFL's, one Halogen and a few incandescants here and there. I don't anticipate replacing a few that burn out will put me into bankruptcy.

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI
reply to mob

Is there some kind of shade on it that limits its light to one side? The picture isn't clear but it looks like the "back" of the bulb, in the picture, may be covered.

SparkChaser
Premium
Downingtown, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit

said by garys_2k:

Is there some kind of shade on it that limits its light to one side? The picture isn't clear but it looks like the "back" of the bulb, in the picture, may be covered.

An illusion of the photo

Here's a better picture »www.lighting.philips.com/us_en/l···ndex.wpd

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

THAT looks better, thanks!

fifty nine

Sussex, NJ
reply to mob

What's the difference between the L-Prize bulb and the other ones that look almost the same?

The ones I was referring to are the old style ones, not the L-Prize bulbs.

The L-Prize bulbs are about $50 here.

cableties
Premium
join:2005-01-27
reply to mob

I've been very happy with mine. I have the phillips one pictured, in a lamp and no one knew it was LED.
I just picked up some newer models from Sylvania/osram. They are considerably cheaper then when I first bought the Phillips (remember it was $60 new two years ago and now around $20).

My gripe is how the boxes like Home Deposed and NotThatLowe carry different brands. Maybe because I have choice of 4 depots and 2 lowes to choose from, their floorplans and products are not consistently stocked.

Just beware that I experimented with ceiling fan and newer LED candelabra based lamps. They do not dim (unless you get special dimmers).
Also, I still have par30L halogens (L for the long neck) in 10 cans that are dimmed to 15%. I don't plan on replacing 4 switches (leviton Maestro with slaves) and 10 lamps that have been working for 8 years without issue. (I guess staying dimmed "does" increase the lifespan...)

Prices are coming down, color temps are increasing, shape is looking more pleasant, more models now available for more types (PAR, MR, candelabra, A19, heck I even saw a circular CF to LED replacement...) and output is brighter (70Watts of light ... convert to lumens...at 11-12Watts of consumption, 60Watts at 10Watt consumption, 40 watts at 8watts consumption...)

Got my raincoat on...
--
Splat

fifty nine

Sussex, NJ

said by cableties:

I've been very happy with mine. I have the phillips one pictured, in a lamp and no one knew it was LED.

The lighting displays at Home Depot here have three bulbs - "incandescent" and two shades of CFL.

Problem is that "incandescent" is actually a philips LED but it's not obvious unless you look below. False advertising?

ke4pym
Premium
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·ooma
·Verizon Broadban..
·Northland Cable ..
·Time Warner Cable
reply to rfhar

said by rfhar:

I am interested in how long they will last. I have some fixtures where CFL's only last about a year instead of the seven they advertise.

A year? You're lucky. I've got some CFLs in a guest bathroom that may get turned on 6 times a year and that 4th time they get turned on, one always goes out.

I stocked up on a bunch of old school bulbs and am going back to them exclusively. If 100w equiv LED bulbs come down to a buck a bulb, then I'll switch.

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2002-12-03
United State
Reviews:
·TracFone Wireless
·CenturyLink

I would be looking at a different problem with the bathroom unless it is terribly cold. CFL where I live is not cold friendly. And since I have outside lights on all year all but one are CFL. The porch light that is rarely on is a standard 60 watt bulb. I also have a standard bulb in one reading light as I do not see well. I am CFL from basement to bedroom.

CFL is fine in summer. The problem in the winter is cold. A warm light that is turned off long enough to be cold will die on the next turn on unless it has been exposed to enough sunlight to warm it sufficiently. Where I live it is the exception rather than the rule.
--
Mac: No windows, No Gates, Apple inside

BenT SP

@hcs.net
reply to mob

I found these more inexpensive LED bulbs in Lowe's store this weekend:

»www.lowes.com/pd_338802-75774-LA···cetInfo=

Was very pleased with the light output (only concern was the bulb only projected light in 180 degrees, but worked well in the cans I have). The price was the best that I have seen. Just a matter of time to see how long they last (adv. 22 years with 3 hours of use per day).

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
reply to fifty nine

said by fifty nine:

said by cableties:

The lighting displays at Home Depot here have three bulbs - "incandescent" and two shades of CFL.

Problem is that "incandescent" is actually a philips LED but it's not obvious unless you look below. False advertising?

Sounds like the store people wanted to save money on the power for the display.

At the home depot in baytown I looked and it was a incandescent (ie no tricks there)

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
reply to mob

I keep blowing out recessed floodlights. I have two options, but a box of replacement lamps for $12 or replace each fixture with a LED unit for $25.

Six months ago I bought 4 out of 18 as a test. So far so good. But I still can't get myself to buy in the whole house.
--
--Standard disclaimers apply.--

KirkyInCT

join:2008-11-04
Higganum, CT
reply to mob

I started by replacing high use lights with LEDs, and now been replacing bulbs as they burn out. I've noticed a pretty significant decrease in the electricity bill in the past year

Our energy usage jumps around depending on the time of year, so we went with a budget plan, pay set amount each month, and the last month is a catch up. First year, we over utilized, to the tune of $300. Ouch, that was a surprise bill! This past year, we actually got a check BACK on the last month for about $60 (instead of a bill for $210). Imagine my surprise getting money back from the utility company.

Not saying it's all attributed to the LED bulbs, but I do think a lot of it was (and also awareness). Last time I totalled it, we swapped 1200 watts worth of bulbs for about 200 watts worth of LEDs. No complaint's from anyone... Well, the Mrs didn't like the price of the bulbs, but at this rate, I do suspect we'll see a break even point a lot sooner than we thought.

laserfan

join:2005-01-14
Texas

said by KirkyInCT:

I've noticed a pretty significant decrease in the electricity bill in the past year... Not saying it's all attributed to the LED bulbs, but I do think a lot of it was (and also awareness). Last time I totalled it, we swapped 1200 watts worth of bulbs for about 200 watts worth of LEDs.

The difference, if they were all switched ON, is a 1000watt heater! Maybe that's OK in the wintertime, but in summer it adds to the air conditioning load i.e. incandescent lamps' wattage translates directly to heat, which your A/C system works to remove.

I have a screensaver on my desktop right now showing NYC at dusk, with all the commercial buildings' lights on. Not many people realize that the second-greatest heat generator in a commercial office building (the first being the occupants themselves) is the lighting system. Well OK nowadays offices have lotsa computers also, but still...lights are a tremendous source of heat!

Doesn't apply as critically at home, but is something to keep in mind.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

said by laserfan:

I have a screensaver on my desktop right now showing NYC at dusk, with all the commercial buildings' lights on. Not many people realize that the second-greatest heat generator in a commercial office building (the first being the occupants themselves) is the lighting system. Well OK nowadays offices have lotsa computers also, but still...lights are a tremendous source of heat!

the biggest heat source in a commercial building are the windows
--
--Standard disclaimers apply.--

SparkChaser
Premium
Downingtown, PA

said by AVD:

At night?

severach

join:2002-09-12
Jackson, MI
reply to mob

So when are we going to ban CFL and unban incandescent? There are still places where incandescent is the best choice.

Example: A switch that is off 99% of the time will see no savings switching to LED.

cableties
Premium
join:2005-01-27

1 recommendation

said by severach:

... There are still places where incandescent is the best choice.

Don't forget easy-bake ovens!
--
Splat

talz13

join:2006-03-15
Avon, OH
reply to SparkChaser

said by SparkChaser:

said by AVD:

At night?

By the same token, the people at night?

scross

join:2002-09-13
Cordova, TN
reply to severach

said by severach:

So when are we going to ban CFL and unban incandescent? There are still places where incandescent is the best choice.

IIRC, incandescents were never actually banned, folks, they just have to be made more efficient - more light, less heat. There have always been ways to do this (special coatings, different materials, etc) but these add to the cost of the bulb and probably effect its longevity, so nobody's been in a rush to do that without government regulations forcing them to.

That said, if you are using an incandescent bulb primarily as a heater, then you may have something of a problem now. Which is why (as I understand it) some of them are now being labeled and sold as "heaters", not bulbs, which allows them to bypass the new requirements.

Gavin5

join:2012-10-03
canada
reply to mob

LED lightbulbs are helpful to save energy. Also these bulbs light not effects on eyes. So, you can use LED lightbulbs everywhere in your house.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12
reply to rfhar

I hate LEDs,they look aweful compared to traditional lighting!!

SparkChaser
Premium
Downingtown, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

said by Dude111:

I hate LEDs,they look aweful compared to traditional lighting!!

You can hardly tell the difference.

Maybe you mean a candle