uniqs
share rss forum feed

laserfan

join:2005-01-14
Texas
reply to KirkyInCT

Re: LED lightbulbs

said by KirkyInCT:

I've noticed a pretty significant decrease in the electricity bill in the past year... Not saying it's all attributed to the LED bulbs, but I do think a lot of it was (and also awareness). Last time I totalled it, we swapped 1200 watts worth of bulbs for about 200 watts worth of LEDs.

The difference, if they were all switched ON, is a 1000watt heater! Maybe that's OK in the wintertime, but in summer it adds to the air conditioning load i.e. incandescent lamps' wattage translates directly to heat, which your A/C system works to remove.

I have a screensaver on my desktop right now showing NYC at dusk, with all the commercial buildings' lights on. Not many people realize that the second-greatest heat generator in a commercial office building (the first being the occupants themselves) is the lighting system. Well OK nowadays offices have lotsa computers also, but still...lights are a tremendous source of heat!

Doesn't apply as critically at home, but is something to keep in mind.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
kudos:1
said by laserfan:

I have a screensaver on my desktop right now showing NYC at dusk, with all the commercial buildings' lights on. Not many people realize that the second-greatest heat generator in a commercial office building (the first being the occupants themselves) is the lighting system. Well OK nowadays offices have lotsa computers also, but still...lights are a tremendous source of heat!

the biggest heat source in a commercial building are the windows
--
--Standard disclaimers apply.--

SparkChaser
Premium
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA
kudos:4
said by AVD:

At night?

severach

join:2002-09-12
Jackson, MI
reply to mob
So when are we going to ban CFL and unban incandescent? There are still places where incandescent is the best choice.

Example: A switch that is off 99% of the time will see no savings switching to LED.

cableties
Premium
join:2005-01-27

1 recommendation

said by severach:

... There are still places where incandescent is the best choice.

Don't forget easy-bake ovens!
--
Splat

talz13

join:2006-03-15
Avon, OH
reply to SparkChaser
said by SparkChaser:

said by AVD:

At night?

By the same token, the people at night?

scross

join:2002-09-13
Cordova, TN
reply to severach
said by severach:

So when are we going to ban CFL and unban incandescent? There are still places where incandescent is the best choice.

IIRC, incandescents were never actually banned, folks, they just have to be made more efficient - more light, less heat. There have always been ways to do this (special coatings, different materials, etc) but these add to the cost of the bulb and probably effect its longevity, so nobody's been in a rush to do that without government regulations forcing them to.

That said, if you are using an incandescent bulb primarily as a heater, then you may have something of a problem now. Which is why (as I understand it) some of them are now being labeled and sold as "heaters", not bulbs, which allows them to bypass the new requirements.

Gavin5

join:2012-10-03
canada
reply to mob
LED lightbulbs are helpful to save energy. Also these bulbs light not effects on eyes. So, you can use LED lightbulbs everywhere in your house.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:13
reply to rfhar

I hate LEDs,they look aweful compared to traditional lighting!!

SparkChaser
Premium
Downingtown, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

said by Dude111:

You can hardly tell the difference.

Maybe you mean a candle

PSWired

join:2006-03-26
Annapolis, MD
reply to mob

I have a few of the Philips remote phosphor bulbs. Overall they're pretty good. I do notice the light quality isn't as good as an incandescent when they're dimmed.

Also have a couple of the Philips GU10 base "halogen reflector" style bulbs. Very good, and planning to get a few more to use with some new recessed lighting fixtures I'll be putting in.

fifty nine

join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ
kudos:2
reply to DarkLogix
said by DarkLogix:

said by fifty nine:

said by cableties:

I've been very happy with mine. I have the phillips one pictured, in a lamp and no one knew it was LED.

The lighting displays at Home Depot here have three bulbs - "incandescent" and two shades of CFL.

Problem is that "incandescent" is actually a philips LED but it's not obvious unless you look below. False advertising?

Sounds like the store people wanted to save money on the power for the display.

At the home depot in baytown I looked and it was a incandescent (ie no tricks there)

Thing is, nobody can tell the difference unless they listen to the radio.

Tig

join:2006-06-29
Carrying Place, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to mob
I brought some LED bulbs back from a trip south. We love them. Beautiful light.
I plan on adding more but I can't find what I want up here for a price that I can stomach.
FWIW, I bought my first half dozen CFLs in 1990. I remember a couple got smashed and one died. The rest were still going in the basement when we sold the house in 08.

jack322

join:2012-09-19
reply to mob
I'm using LED bulbs on my house too. They are economic but I'm curious to see how long they will last.

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky

join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to mob
We use a combination of CFL, LED, and incandescent in our house. The high use lights are LED, all other lights are CFL unless the warm-up period would make them ineffective like outside lights that turn on and off via motion when it's cold out. We've got CFL's that are almost 10 years old that still work. I've found a very low burn out rate on CFL's over the last decade. Of the dozen LED's we have one has stopped working after 6-8 months but I took it back and got a new one since they have a 2 year warranty.
--
IF YOU FIND ANY MISTAKES IN MY WORK...Please consider that they are there for a purpose. I try to please everyone and there is always someone looking for mistakes!

mob
On the next level..
Premium
join:2000-10-07
Reviews:
·SureWest Internet
reply to rfhar
said by rfhar:

I am interested in how long they will last. I have some fixtures where CFL's only last about a year instead of the seven they advertise.

So it's not just me! So far I have had 2 fail so far out of a pack of GE CFL bulbs I got at Sams Club in late 2011/early 2012.

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to mob
I buy the cheapest CFL's I can find. I put them upside down in enclosed spaces against the warnings. I put them in damp locations against the warnings. I abuse them pretty often but they last a decade on average for me.
--
IF YOU FIND ANY MISTAKES IN MY WORK...Please consider that they are there for a purpose. I try to please everyone and there is always someone looking for mistakes!

cableties
Premium
join:2005-01-27
reply to SparkChaser

Re:  

said by SparkChaser:

said by Dude111:

You can hardly tell the difference.

Maybe you mean a candle

Stop feeding it!
--
Splat

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to Draiman

said by Draiman:

I buy the cheapest CFL's I can find. I put them upside down in enclosed spaces against the warnings. I put them in damp locations against the warnings. I abuse them pretty often but they last a decade on average for me.

Same with me. I have some in 2-bulb enclosed ceiling fixtures, damp locations etc. I've only had one fail and that one was in a portable metal reflector fixture.

The plus is they are cheap and work well for me.

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
reply to mob
The CFL's that seem to fail for me are the dimmable ones but I still get 5-8 years out of them.

Maniak

join:2008-03-29
Vail, AZ
Reviews:
·Wi-Power
·RuralNet
reply to mob
Ok, stupid question. Do they make good LED bulbs that put out 1300 or so lumens? All I see for the phillips is 60 watt equiv (900 lumens)

We don't have enough light fixtures in many places in our house so we end up running 23 watt CFLs instead of 100 watt incandescents.

We are down to our last box of CFL bulbs so It wouldn't be bad to switch them out to LED bulbs, at least for the ones that are on most of the time.

~Mark

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
Phillips has a 100watt equivalent but its harder to find
Expand your moderator at work

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
reply to DarkLogix

itguy05

join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA
reply to mob
We've got a bunch of the Ecosmart ones from Home Depot. Love the light quality as I always hated the yellow look of incandescents. I prefer the whiter light which looks more like daylight.

Didn't notice much of a decrease in the electric bill as we were all CFL before. As the CFL's burned out we replace with LEDs. I'm mainly looking for the additional lifetime of LED's.

I just wish they had affordable 100w ones yet.

nunya
LXI 483
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
reply to mob
I just had 2 more 4 month old "Bright Effects" CFL's burn out (should I say, flame out in a blaze of glory). I write the date on the ballast to see how long they "really" last. They don't last long at all.
A while back, I decided no more CFL's would be allowed in my house due to the short lifespan and spectacular flaming failures. I broke the rules after I "inherited" about 10 of them in April. Most have been installed, burned out, and replaced already.

I've been quite impressed with the Philips LED lamps thus far. I paid $25 for the first one. The utility (Ameren) sells them through their website for around $12 each (heavily subsidized). My only gripe is the three "pillars" in the "globe". I don't like that. Otherwise, they fit in most fixtures and dim well.
--
If someone refers to herself / himself as a "guru", they probably aren't.

fluffybunny

@teksavvy.com
reply to Maniak
try SWITCH 100 watt leds.
»www.switchlightingco.com/

Ken
Premium,MVM
join:2003-06-16
Markle, IN
said by fluffybunny :

Where do you buy them?

SparkChaser
Premium
Downingtown, PA
Switch says if you fill out and submit a form on its website you will be notified as to when the bulbs are available:
www.switchlightingco.com/email_updates.php

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Ken
said by Ken:

said by fluffybunny :

Where do you buy them?

You don't yet as far as I know. In 2013 they should start appearing for sale.
--