Maniak

join:2008-03-29
Vail, AZ
Reviews:
·Wi-Power
·RuralNet
reply to mob

Re: LED lightbulbs

Ok, stupid question. Do they make good LED bulbs that put out 1300 or so lumens? All I see for the phillips is 60 watt equiv (900 lumens)

We don't have enough light fixtures in many places in our house so we end up running 23 watt CFLs instead of 100 watt incandescents.

We are down to our last box of CFL bulbs so It wouldn't be bad to switch them out to LED bulbs, at least for the ones that are on most of the time.

~Mark

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3

Phillips has a 100watt equivalent but its harder to find

Expand your moderator at work

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
reply to DarkLogix

Re: LED lightbulbs

»www.extremetech.com/electronics/···just-23w

1700lumen

itguy05

join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA
reply to mob

We've got a bunch of the Ecosmart ones from Home Depot. Love the light quality as I always hated the yellow look of incandescents. I prefer the whiter light which looks more like daylight.

Didn't notice much of a decrease in the electric bill as we were all CFL before. As the CFL's burned out we replace with LEDs. I'm mainly looking for the additional lifetime of LED's.

I just wish they had affordable 100w ones yet.

nunya
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting
reply to mob

I just had 2 more 4 month old "Bright Effects" CFL's burn out (should I say, flame out in a blaze of glory). I write the date on the ballast to see how long they "really" last. They don't last long at all.
A while back, I decided no more CFL's would be allowed in my house due to the short lifespan and spectacular flaming failures. I broke the rules after I "inherited" about 10 of them in April. Most have been installed, burned out, and replaced already.

I've been quite impressed with the Philips LED lamps thus far. I paid $25 for the first one. The utility (Ameren) sells them through their website for around $12 each (heavily subsidized). My only gripe is the three "pillars" in the "globe". I don't like that. Otherwise, they fit in most fixtures and dim well.
--
If someone refers to herself / himself as a "guru", they probably aren't.

fluffybunny

@teksavvy.com
reply to Maniak

try SWITCH 100 watt leds.
»www.switchlightingco.com/

Ken
Premium,MVM
join:2003-06-16
Markle, IN

said by fluffybunny :

Where do you buy them?

SparkChaser
Premium
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA

Switch says if you fill out and submit a form on its website you will be notified as to when the bulbs are available:
www.switchlightingco.com/email_updates.php

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky

join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Ken

said by Ken:

said by fluffybunny :

Where do you buy them?

You don't yet as far as I know. In 2013 they should start appearing for sale.
--
IF YOU FIND ANY MISTAKES IN MY WORK...Please consider that they are there for a purpose. I try to please everyone and there is always someone looking for mistakes!

nunya
Premium,MVM
O Fallon, MO
reply to fluffybunny

SWITCH is vaporware. They've missed one deadline or release day after another.
--

AdamB

join:2001-01-07
Columbus, OH

said by nunya:

I've been waiting on the Switch LEDs for about a year now. I read about them in Wired and they seemed like a great choice.

The current Phillips LED bulbs seem to consume as much power as the CFLs I have. I will wait until they get to about $10 to start buying.

QuaffAPint
A Big Thanks To The Troops

join:2001-01-10
Downingtown, PA
reply to mob

While finishing my basement, I'm forced to have 50% high efficacy lights - The only lights that meet the requirement are CFL and LED. I despise CFL, so had to go with LED.

The best/cheapest dimmable LED for recessed lights I found is the $20 one at lowes. May just end up returning them after final inspection - It's moronic I have to spend so much money, when It'll take 30 years to make it back, with how little these lights will be used.
--
{Send Secure Notes Free and Easily} :: whisperBot.com

nunya
Premium,MVM
O Fallon, MO

You'll make your money back a lot faster than that: »Would you pay $50 for a light bulb?
--

SparkChaser
Premium
Downingtown, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to AdamB

said by AdamB:

said by nunya:

I've been waiting on the Switch LEDs for about a year now. I read about them in Wired and they seemed like a great choice.

The current Phillips LED bulbs seem to consume as much power as the CFLs I have. I will wait until they get to about $10 to start buying.

The Philips has a better efficacy that the published data for the Switch. The LED seems to be slightly lower than the CFL. You do have to use some power to get light or you could just open the blinds.
--
--
--
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." - Aldous Huxley

A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people. - John F. Kennedy

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

said by SparkChaser:

you could just open the blinds.

WHAT you blaspheme!!!

Use ing sun light how horrible.

AdamB

join:2001-01-07
Columbus, OH
reply to SparkChaser

said by SparkChaser See Profile
The Philips has a better efficacy that the published data for the Switch. The LED seems to be slightly lower than the CFL. You do have to use some power to get light or you could just open the blinds.

Yes it is slightly lower, but when I am paying a couple bucks for the CFLs and $20-$30 on the LED it doesn't make a compelling reason to change them out yet. I might buy one of the L prize bulbs since they are a decent price on Amazon.

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Click for full size
said by AdamB:

said by SparkChaser See Profile

Yes it is slightly lower, but when I am paying a couple bucks for the CFLs and $20-$30 on the LED it doesn't make a compelling reason to change them out yet. I might buy one of the L prize bulbs since they are a decent price on Amazon.

Those of us with subsidized LED bulbs could also help you out if you wanted. A Phillips 60w LED is $12.97 for me.

Edit: You might be able to order them here yourself. Worth a shot and they have the L Prize bulb for $25.00 which isn't bad.
»www.energyfederation.org/estarli···249_5938
--
IF YOU FIND ANY MISTAKES IN MY WORK...Please consider that they are there for a purpose. I try to please everyone and there is always someone looking for mistakes!

SparkChaser
Premium
Downingtown, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to QuaffAPint

said by QuaffAPint:

While finishing my basement, I'm forced to have 50% high efficacy lights

Why is that? Is that a Dtown code?

SparkChaser
Premium
Downingtown, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Draiman

said by Draiman:

Those of us with subsidized LED bulbs could also help you out if you wanted. A Phillips 60w LED is $12.97 for me.

yes you could, I don't think we have a subsidy. We have to pay for the Smart meter fires .

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
reply to Draiman

There's an idea you in the subsidized area could buy a bunch and resale them

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by DarkLogix:

I'd sell them to DSLR members at cost but it's not worth my time to resell them to others for profit.
--

Ken
Premium,MVM
Markle, IN
reply to SparkChaser

said by SparkChaser:

Switch says if you fill out and submit a form on its website you will be notified as to when the bulbs are available:
www.switchlightingco.com/email_updates.php

I know, I filled that out over a year ago. I thought it was odd that an anonymous poster would recommend something that isn't for sale.

fifty nine

join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ
kudos:2
reply to DarkLogix

said by DarkLogix:

Pretty sure it's going to be illegal or at the very least attract attention from the local gov't.

QuaffAPint
A Big Thanks To The Troops

join:2001-01-10
Downingtown, PA
reply to SparkChaser

said by SparkChaser:

said by QuaffAPint:

While finishing my basement, I'm forced to have 50% high efficacy lights

Why is that? Is that a Dtown code?

National code from 2009 apparently - of course whether it's enforced in your area (it is in mine), depends. It seems to only be recently (in the past year) enforced here in E Brandywine Twshp (lucky me).
--
{Send Secure Notes Free and Easily} :: whisperBot.com

SparkChaser
Premium
Downingtown, PA

well that stinks. I'm not sure what they did here in West Bradford, probably the same thing.

nunya
Premium,MVM
O Fallon, MO
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting
reply to fifty nine

Here, the poco limits the number of lamps / fixtures you can buy per year. More than enough for your average household. Not near enough to get in the "resale" business.
--

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by nunya:

Here, the poco limits the number of lamps / fixtures you can buy per year. More than enough for your average household. Not near enough to get in the "resale" business.

They limit us to 10 per transaction but no limit on transactions. I could place 5 orders for 10 bulbs each at Home Depot online then go pick up 50 bulbs. I actually did 3 orders for 10 each or 30 bulbs last year. I picked up 15 bulbs for myself and 15 for a co-worker.
--

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois
reply to mob

I'd love to replace the 8 50-watt halogen bulbs in our kitchen tracks with LED's. Just need to make sure I don't lose any effective light output, or I'd be in trouble...

Sure would appreciate 48 watts total than 400!

Bobby_Peru
Premium
reply to Draiman

This is all a bit OT, perhaps, as it does not directly involve LEDs, but..

Our first venture into CFL was about two years ago, when we replaced around 8 "Duramax" incandescent 60W indoor floods, in ceiling and sofets. We had used these bulbs, or similar ones, for decades. There longevity varied, but, a rough average was 2-3 years.

Since maze-like maneuvering of ladders (and less than ideal stances on them) are required to replace these bulbs, longevity was the prime factor, though savings in direct energy consumption, plus that required to cool the heat they produce would certainly be welcome.

Home Depot only had "EcoSmart"(Home Depot brand), in this size/wattage, which listed a "7-Year" expected life-span, and warranty.

Many of the bulbs failed with in the first day, more by the second and third day. All were removed, and exchanged. One incandescent was kept with 4 CFL's in the kitchen, to provide true instant-on illumination, while the CFL's ramp-up. These second set of CFL's have made from one to just under two years, with the majority failing far more quickly than the incandescents that they replaced.

Called the phone number listed for warranty info reaches voice-mail, with messages not being returned.

This time we tried Lowes, and they too only had what may be their "own" brand. Installed 4 new CFLs, and one blew with in 2 days. We have been waiting a bit for more failures, before deciding how to handle replacement.

Further off topic: Is there good info on the recommend minimum times to leave these new CFLs on, in regard to both over-all power consumption (start-up consumption, plus running), and longevity? Years ago, one guideline was leave on incandescents if you plan to restart them again within around 5 minutes, and florescents for 20 minutes. I am not saying this was correct, and I don't think it took into consideration cooling costs. Thanks.