Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky

join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by DarkLogix:

There's an idea you in the subsidized area could buy a bunch and resale them

I'd sell them to DSLR members at cost but it's not worth my time to resell them to others for profit.
--
IF YOU FIND ANY MISTAKES IN MY WORK...Please consider that they are there for a purpose. I try to please everyone and there is always someone looking for mistakes!

Ken
Premium,MVM
join:2003-06-16
Markle, IN
reply to SparkChaser

said by SparkChaser:

Switch says if you fill out and submit a form on its website you will be notified as to when the bulbs are available:
www.switchlightingco.com/email_updates.php

I know, I filled that out over a year ago. I thought it was odd that an anonymous poster would recommend something that isn't for sale.

fifty nine

join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ
kudos:2
reply to DarkLogix

said by DarkLogix:

There's an idea you in the subsidized area could buy a bunch and resale them

Pretty sure it's going to be illegal or at the very least attract attention from the local gov't.

QuaffAPint
A Big Thanks To The Troops

join:2001-01-10
Downingtown, PA
reply to SparkChaser

said by SparkChaser:

said by QuaffAPint:

While finishing my basement, I'm forced to have 50% high efficacy lights

Why is that? Is that a Dtown code?

National code from 2009 apparently - of course whether it's enforced in your area (it is in mine), depends. It seems to only be recently (in the past year) enforced here in E Brandywine Twshp (lucky me).
--
{Send Secure Notes Free and Easily} :: whisperBot.com

SparkChaser
Premium
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA
kudos:3

well that stinks. I'm not sure what they did here in West Bradford, probably the same thing.

nunya
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting
reply to fifty nine

Here, the poco limits the number of lamps / fixtures you can buy per year. More than enough for your average household. Not near enough to get in the "resale" business.
--
If someone refers to herself / himself as a "guru", they probably aren't.

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky

join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by nunya:

Here, the poco limits the number of lamps / fixtures you can buy per year. More than enough for your average household. Not near enough to get in the "resale" business.

They limit us to 10 per transaction but no limit on transactions. I could place 5 orders for 10 bulbs each at Home Depot online then go pick up 50 bulbs. I actually did 3 orders for 10 each or 30 bulbs last year. I picked up 15 bulbs for myself and 15 for a co-worker.
--
IF YOU FIND ANY MISTAKES IN MY WORK...Please consider that they are there for a purpose. I try to please everyone and there is always someone looking for mistakes!

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois
reply to mob

I'd love to replace the 8 50-watt halogen bulbs in our kitchen tracks with LED's. Just need to make sure I don't lose any effective light output, or I'd be in trouble...

Sure would appreciate 48 watts total than 400!

Bobby_Peru
Premium
reply to Draiman

This is all a bit OT, perhaps, as it does not directly involve LEDs, but..

Our first venture into CFL was about two years ago, when we replaced around 8 "Duramax" incandescent 60W indoor floods, in ceiling and sofets. We had used these bulbs, or similar ones, for decades. There longevity varied, but, a rough average was 2-3 years.

Since maze-like maneuvering of ladders (and less than ideal stances on them) are required to replace these bulbs, longevity was the prime factor, though savings in direct energy consumption, plus that required to cool the heat they produce would certainly be welcome.

Home Depot only had "EcoSmart"(Home Depot brand), in this size/wattage, which listed a "7-Year" expected life-span, and warranty.

Many of the bulbs failed with in the first day, more by the second and third day. All were removed, and exchanged. One incandescent was kept with 4 CFL's in the kitchen, to provide true instant-on illumination, while the CFL's ramp-up. These second set of CFL's have made from one to just under two years, with the majority failing far more quickly than the incandescents that they replaced.

Called the phone number listed for warranty info reaches voice-mail, with messages not being returned.

This time we tried Lowes, and they too only had what may be their "own" brand. Installed 4 new CFLs, and one blew with in 2 days. We have been waiting a bit for more failures, before deciding how to handle replacement.

Further off topic: Is there good info on the recommend minimum times to leave these new CFLs on, in regard to both over-all power consumption (start-up consumption, plus running), and longevity? Years ago, one guideline was leave on incandescents if you plan to restart them again within around 5 minutes, and florescents for 20 minutes. I am not saying this was correct, and I don't think it took into consideration cooling costs. Thanks.

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois

1 recommendation

reply to mob

Interesting how everyone's experience with CFL's varies.

I have used them in dozens of locations, and rarely have had to replace any of them. Matter of fact, last time I moved I took them all with me and they are still working. Even those used for outdoor purposes.

Odd?

fifty nine

Sussex, NJ

said by mattmag:

Interesting how everyone's experience with CFL's varies.

I have used them in dozens of locations, and rarely have had to replace any of them. Matter of fact, last time I moved I took them all with me and they are still working. Even those used for outdoor purposes.

Odd?

Not odd at all. If someone wants to find fault with something they will.

I've had relatively few CFLs fail, and those that were DOA or failed prematurely were exchanged. I buy my CFLs primarily from Costco.

Tig

join:2006-06-29
Carrying Place, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms

said by fifty nine:

Not odd at all. If someone wants to find fault with something they will.

Darn LED lights. I lost one when I got up this morning at 5AM. It absolutely smashed. So did the lamp. And it wasn't even on. Table was OK though, just knocked over.

Bobby_Peru
Premium
reply to mattmag

The CFL's here, that have failed immediately, or very shortly after installation, or noticeably before the incandescents life-span that they replaced, have all been the flood lamp "house brand" of HD and Lowes. That may explain it. They were the only ones available in-store, in the desired configuration.

We did get a few Sylvania (I think) 13 Watt CFLs (60 Watt incandescent), for use in other applications. Hopefully they will perform as advertised.

What brand and type have you had success with? Thanks!

nunya
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting

1 recommendation

reply to mattmag

Years ago, I noticed that CFL lamps seemed to be getting much worse. Both my own, and my customers. I should rephrase that to "self ballasted" CFL lamps. I've never had longevity issues with separately ballasted lamps.

I began writing the install date on every CFL ballast with a sharpie. I was shocked to learn how quickly they really fail. 4 months. 6 months. Rarely do they last a year. I encourage everyone to adopt that practice. Only then do you know with certainty how quickly they are really failing.

About 20 years ago, when I first started buying CFL's, they would last years.
The quality has since gone into the toilet.

The part that really scares me is the way they fail. Quite often, it's a "flaming death". It's not the tubes that are failing, but the cheap ballasts.

I had 3 "Bright Effects" CFL lamps burn out in my own house last week. I inherited them (brand new) in April. They were installed in May and July.

I'm not saying that LED's are going to be the answer either. It's too early. Since they are made in China as well, I don't expect much. I'll be saving all my LED receipts.
--
If someone refers to herself / himself as a "guru", they probably aren't.

Tig

join:2006-06-29
Carrying Place, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms

said by nunya:

I began writing the install date on every CFL ballast with a sharpie.

Excellent idea!!

mob
On the next level..
Premium
join:2000-10-07
Reviews:
·SureWest Internet

said by Tig:

said by nunya:

I began writing the install date on every CFL ballast with a sharpie.

Excellent idea!!

Agree. I put the install date on air filters. Why did I not think to put them on a light bulb when I install it?
--
Ich habe kein Mitleid - Me
You're a daisy if you do. - Doc Holliday
And as always, have nice day.

cableties
Premium
join:2005-01-27
reply to nunya

said by nunya:

... I'll be saving all my LED receipts.

Make sure to scan in those receipts, "especially" if from big boxes like Lowes or HD. Thermal receipts tend to go blank after year or so.

So far, Phillips and Sylvania LEDs are holding up for me. Early "EcoSmart-LEDs" from Home Depot failed 3x... got replacement on one and refunds to get different brand.
--
Splat

fifty nine

Sussex, NJ
reply to Bobby_Peru

said by Bobby_Peru:

What brand and type have you had success with? Thanks!

GE, Philips, PureSpectrum are the better ones I've used. Feit electric is reasonably reliable too, but I did have one that overheated and failed.

The dimmable Feit ones are crap. I bought a pair and they wouldn't dim properly. In fact anything below 80% brightness and they turn off. The only dimmable CFLs I've had luck with are PureSpectrum, but they flicker at very low levels.

N:Vision is good and reasonably bright. We have a daylight one in the laundry area in the basement.

The ones I've had going on 11 years are Commercial Electric (bought from home depot in 2001).

The walmart CFLs "lights of america" are crap.

fifty nine

Sussex, NJ
reply to mob

duplicate

shdesigns