I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person

join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Comcast

[iPhone] Bigger Fail Than Maps ...

If you ask me the Maps issues are small potatoes compared to the glaring fact that Apple didn't have one single Lightning adapter, usb cable, adapter cable, wall charger, or car charger available on launch day. What's even worse is that here we are going on three weeks later, and still no cables in sight.
I'm so sick of carrying around my one and only charger with me where ever I go, and I'm even more tired of hearing my wife complain about not being able to use her portable speaker dock in her office that she uses to stream music & listen to podcast with while she works.
I was totally onboard with the connector change. I realize technology advances and change takes place, but to make a change of that magnitude and not have a single solution to offer your customers is a huge ball drop.
--
Not many people know this, but I happen to be quite famous...

dellsweig
Extreme Aerobatics
Premium,MVM
join:2003-12-10
Campbell Hall, NY

said by not quite right:

If you ask me the Maps issues are small potatoes compared to the glaring fact that Apple didn't have one single Lightning adapter, usb cable, adapter cable, wall charger, or car charger available on launch day. What's even worse is that here we are going on three weeks later, and still no cables in sight.
I'm so sick of carrying around my one and only charger with me where ever I go, and I'm even more tired of hearing my wife complain about not being able to use her portable speaker dock in her office that she uses to stream music & listen to podcast with while she works.
I was totally onboard with the connector change. I realize technology advances and change takes place, but to make a change of that magnitude and not have a single solution to offer your customers is a huge ball drop.

Not sure what you are talking about - I had my Lightning to USB cables delivered two days before my Phone arrived.....

I ordered an additional cable and had that within 3 days.
--
Nothin' left to do but smile smile smile

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Kendall, FL
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to not quite right

I was JUST about to post a rant about this.

I know Apple can do whatever they want, and we have a choice to not purchase their products, but I find it pretty pathetic and disrespectful of Apple to treat their customers this way.

I placed my order for 3 additional cables a few days after launch day, and my expected delivery isn't still until end of next week (October 18 - 25).

The stores around me are all OOS.

I just can't understand how a company like Apple, in today's day and age of users being "tethered" to their phone for charging purposes, can still not have the ability to mass produce the cables in advance.

Not to mention that they want $19 dollars for a cable that probably costs them $2 dollars to mass produce.

--
CheckSite.us | YourIP.us | Reverseip.us

not quite right

Puyallup, WA
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Comcast

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to dellsweig

said by dellsweig:

Not sure what you are talking about - I had my Lightning to USB cables delivered two days before my Phone arrived.....

OK you know exactly what I'm talking about ... good for you to have the intelligence to research some secret Chinese connection on ebay beforehand and pre-order your cables. I on the other hand never thought for a second that I couldn't go down to the Apple Store, Best Buy, or at&t store on launch day and not be greeted with big huge boxes full of this stuff just waiting to gouge me $29.99 - $39.99 a pop!
All I can think of is this is a pre-planned shortage to make people desperate and ignore the fact that these are outrageous prices, and blindly buy these accessories.
--

dellsweig
Extreme Aerobatics
Premium,MVM
join:2003-12-10
Campbell Hall, NY

said by not quite right:

said by dellsweig:

OK you know exactly what I'm talking about ... good for you to have the intelligence to research some secret Chinese connection on ebay beforehand and pre-order your cables. I on the other hand never thought for a second that I couldn't go down to the Apple Store, Best Buy, or at&t store on launch day and not be greeted with big huge boxes full of this stuff just waiting to gouge me $29.99 - $39.99 a pop!
All I can think of is this is a pre-planned shortage to make people desperate and ignore the fact that these are outrageous prices, and blindly buy these accessories.

Yes - I did the research and found the 'secret chinese connection" cables were most likely vapor and decided instead to pay for cables instaead of waiting for a cheap knock off that may or may not work.

For one to Say Apple had no cables available is just plain false....
--
Nothin' left to do but smile smile smile

not quite right

Puyallup, WA
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Comcast

said by dellsweig:

Yes - I did the research and found the 'secret chinese connection" cables were most likely vapor and decided instead to pay for cables instaead of waiting for a cheap knock off that may or may not work.

For one to Say Apple had no cables available is just plain false....

I'm gonna throw out another good for you on your foresight to pre-order your cables directly from Apple. I, like millions of others haven't had to worry about these types of accessories ever for the iPhone, so I guess reality never really set in that Apple wouldn't be prepared to convert the masses over to this new type of lightning connector on launch day.
On launch day I realized the error of my ways and went to the Apple Store online, The Apple Store in Tacoma Mall, Best Buy, Fry's, at&t store, Verizon store, Sprint Store, Radio Shack, Wal-mart, and Target coming up empty handed. That was the case then, and that's still the case now. Please tell me how Apple had cables available again, because that is just plain false.
--

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY
reply to not quite right

I dont really get the value of this new connector.

banditws6
Shrinking Time and Distance
Premium
join:2001-08-18
Frisco, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to dellsweig

Apple does not have enough Lightning cables available.

I can understand production yields being limited on a device as complex as the iPhone 5, but I have a harder time understanding why it is so difficult for Apple stores to keep comparatively simple Lightning accessories in stock.

I've walked into an Apple store three times since launch and never has there been a Lightning to USB cable available to purchase. The third time I called ahead and they said "Yeah, we have them." After which I drove down there to discover I'd wasted half an hour of my time, because they actually did not have them.

At this point I would have been better off ordering a spare from Apple.com and waiting the published 2 weeks before shipment. I just couldn't fathom that it would take that long for stores to get adequate stock. But so far it has.
--
"The counsel of fools is all the more dangerous the more of them there are." -Ólafr Höskuldsson

not quite right

Puyallup, WA
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Comcast
reply to PhoenixDown

said by PhoenixDown:

I dont really get the value of this new connector.

I know it really is kind of vague. My take is that it's smaller allowing for more space inside the phone, it can be plugged in on either side, it's an all digital connection but I didn't realize USB wasn't a digital connection, now here's the kicker it still uses USB 2.0. How freakin' confusing!!!
--

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
reply to not quite right

They do this every year with every product to make people go batshit.

It's great marketing to say there's a 5 week wait for an iPhone 5 and every electronics store on the planet has a fully stocked shelf of S3s.
--
"If something about the human body disgusts you, complain to the manufacturer" - Lenny Bruce
What this country needs is a good five dollar plasma weapon.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS
reply to not quite right

Huh, it was evident to me when buying the phone that the 30 pin adapters weren't going to be available for quite a while. Don't see how you missed it. It always showed me October (just as I'm still waiting on my Nano pre-order). As far as the cable, I had no problem getting mine, shipped a couple of days after order despite Apple saying 1-2 weeks.

Rambo76098

join:2003-02-21
Columbus, OH
reply to not quite right

Even more reason Apple should have gone with Micro USB like everyone else...

I honestly don't get it. The rest of the industry has standardized on Micro USB, yet Apple won't do it. Not trendy enough for them?

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA

$5 microUSB cable.
$30 Lightning cable.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170

1 recommendation

Fixed it for ya

ANYONE's $5 microUSB cable
Apple licensed $30 Lightning cable

neuronbob
THERE ARE NO SHORT CUTS. NONE.

join:2000-03-30
Bedford, OH
reply to not quite right

Now that Teh Steve has passed, some of this idiosyncracy may improve. If it is indeed true that the iPhone 5 was the last iPhone to have been "blessed" by Steve, saner minds may prevail? Adopting mini-USB would make the lives of countless iPhone users easier, after all.
--
neuronbob.com

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
reply to Rambo76098

Seems like even for MicroUSB, it isn't always "standard":
»www.androidauthority.com/galaxy-···r-94063/
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

Count Zero
Obama-Biden 2012
Premium
join:2007-01-18
Winston Salem, NC
reply to neuronbob

Not gonna happen. Lightning is a more capable connection and Cook has already said it'll be here for years to come.

Metatron2008
Premium
join:2008-09-02
united state
reply to neuronbob

said by neuronbob:

Now that Teh Steve has passed, some of this idiosyncracy may improve. If it is indeed true that the iPhone 5 was the last iPhone to have been "blessed" by Steve, saner minds may prevail? Adopting mini-USB would make the lives of countless iPhone users easier, after all.

Uh, nope. How do you think Apple has made so much money? They aren't gonna give up their huge piles of cash just to make customers happy

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170

Given they have they pretty consistently have the highest satisfaction ratings in laptops, phones and tablets, it seems Apple still floats to the top of the bowl.
As bad as Apple may be, they're still better than everyone else.

Badonkadonk
Premium
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL
kudos:5

Yes, but the bowl is very small.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
reply to not quite right

I just pre ordered an extra cable and adapter. I hate having to carry around all the extra cable!

spinJR
what exit?

join:2002-01-07
reply to not quite right

i got phone on friday of launch day and ordered 3 cables for pick up at store. there were ready in 90 mins.
--
welcome to NJ, pay the 7% and go home!

TheHarvester
Premium
join:2006-08-25
Dana Point, CA
kudos:3
reply to Thinkdiff

That was HDMI not microUSB. So far, ALL my microUSB cables work on ALL my microUSB devices.
--
mbsastronomy.com

pcdebb
RIP lil hurricane
Premium
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Bright House
reply to not quite right

maybe I can make some money from this. I had to stop by the Apple store over the weekend for something else, and they did have them there. I should buy them all and sell them on eBay
--
| map your city |

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ

Become an entrepreneur

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
reply to TheHarvester

That was my point though. Many cell phones try to stuff many different signals down the microUSB plug. In this case, Samsung changed the way they send video out requiring a $30 adapter.

Lightning isn't just a modified USB connector. It does a lot more.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

TheHarvester
Premium
join:2006-08-25
Dana Point, CA
kudos:3

And again, that is for the HDMI output ONLY. If you want to connect your phone to an HD television you need the adapter. The microUSB plug (for charging and data transfer to a computer) is a different connector that has not changed.
If I bought the SIII I wouldn't need to buy an adapter because I don't need my phone hooked to my television. If I bought an iPhone 5 I would need to buy 4 adapters just so I can charge the phone.
--
mbsastronomy.com

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to skeechan

said by skeechan:

Fixed it for ya

ANYONE's $5 microUSB cable
Apple licensed $30 Lightning cable

And.....

Monster Cable Lightning Cable $75

but the advertising will claim it speeds up the speed of light so it transfers data to your iPhone faster.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

Insight6

join:2012-08-25
reply to not quite right

When a device as simple as a cable for Apple's new premium phone is being argued and bitched about all over the place it doesn't take a genius to figure out that Apple screwed up big time. The only question by chance or on purpose?

Count Zero
Obama-Biden 2012
Premium
join:2007-01-18
Winston Salem, NC

Uuuuhhhhh if you had any "insight" you'd realize that Ligntning is not "as simple as a cable". It is a long-term technology that will allow for significant future expandability using a common interface by allowing the 9 connection pins to be dynamically reconfigured based on what the chip in the Lightning cable tells the phone it is supposed to do.
I mean in theory it could do USB2.0, USB3.0, FW, digital video, act as a USB controller for USB peripherals, etc. -- MicroUSB cannot do all of that without requiring a lot of proprietary stuff on its own.
--
Check out my site: »web.mac.com/jwsmiths

Play Mafia!: »Pub Games