share rss forum feed

Count Zero
Obama-Biden 2012
Premium
join:2007-01-18
Winston Salem, NC
reply to BronsCon

Re: [iPhone] Bigger Fail Than Maps ...

Try again. I have over 10,000 songs in Apple Lossless in my library and only another 6,000 256kbps AAC songs. So I hear can actually hear CD quality music.

Count Zero
Obama-Biden 2012
Premium
Winston Salem, NC
reply to Dodge

1) If you use bluetooth you just paid $500 to listen to music that's re-compressed to 128kbps.

2) A new version for lightning will be coming - Apple stated that some of the higher end audio companies were given advance specs on Lightning and are redesigning their stuff now.

Expand your moderator at work

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Kendall, FL
kudos:3
reply to Badonkadonk

said by Badonkadonk:

said by Rob:

said by elwoodblues:

What's worse is there is nothing at Monoprice,so I can buy it cheaper.

And there won't be any until the Chinese can reverse engineer the chip, with some estimates saying not until end of year!

Reverse engineering is done. Initial clone cables are already being shipped. High prices for now, but no doubt they'll become commodity items soon enough.

»www.slashgear.com/apples-lightni···9251089/

damn it. And I just bought 3 cables. Oh well. I need them badly.
--
CheckSite.us | YourIP.us | Reverseip.us

Badonkadonk
Premium
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Dish Network

I wouldn't trust the early stuff anyway. It seems awfully fast for that work to have been in so short a time. Even though chips like that are easily reverse engineered, you never know if there are potential issues.
--
I'm hoping for a change. Vote Romney/Ryan 2012.

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Kendall, FL
kudos:3

That's true. My 30 pin cables are all knock offs that cost me about $2/ea. (my original iPhone cable broke long time ago), so it didn't benefit me to spend the $29 for the adapter.

I'm just glad that the cables, while still a bit expensive @ $19, are $19 and not more.
--
CheckSite.us | YourIP.us | Reverseip.us

Dodge
Premium
join:2002-11-27
reply to Count Zero

said by Count Zero:

1) If you use bluetooth you just paid $500 to listen to music that's re-compressed to 128kbps.

Yeah because my entire music collection is losless audio and I can tell a difference between 128, 256, vbr, losless or whatever encoding was used. /sarcasm. Most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference, especially considering how much re-processing Bose systems do on their end.

said by Count Zero:

2) A new version for lightning will be coming - Apple stated that some of the higher end audio companies were given advance specs on Lightning and are redesigning their stuff now.

So another $600 because Apple decided to re-invent a usb cable.

Count Zero
Obama-Biden 2012
Premium
Winston Salem, NC

Well my living room stereo was around $3,000 and yes there is a noticeable difference. My living room setup is not a Bose - in fact the only Bose stuff I use are my OE2i headphones.

No, I would just buy the adapter - but it's still better than Bluetooth or a droid hooked up to it.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Count Zero

I have a Dinovo Edge and out type it with ease. On Mac and PC the Dinovo is great but BTKBing sucks with the iPad. I also tried a couple of my crapbox BT keyboards, an adesso and some Fry's junk I can't even remember the name of, all them them pause randomly and I have to stop and wait. And even then, without a desktop pointing device, the iPad is still limited for productivity (which is why I have a Macbook Air).

I like the TF's ability to be a tablet or a ultrathin 14HR netbook. If only it didn't run such a shitty OS, it would be awesome. Too bad Microsoft won't license Win 8 RT for non-OEM devices.

I really expected a 128GB iPad this go around. 64GB doesn't cut it. I keep lots of movies and TV shows on mine for watching when I'm at the gym or stuck waiting for something.

Count Zero
Obama-Biden 2012
Premium
Winston Salem, NC

Wifi or tethering at the gym FTW :-P

That 128GB iPad has to be coming sooner or later.

Would be interesting if Apple did allow for a mouse on the iPad - Would make it more of a laptop replacement for many.

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL
Reviews:
·Dish Network
reply to Rob

said by Rob:

That's true. My 30 pin cables are all knock offs that cost me about $2/ea. (my original iPhone cable broke long time ago), so it didn't benefit me to spend the $29 for the adapter.

I'm just glad that the cables, while still a bit expensive @ $19, are $19 and not more.

I think there's little doubt that the OEM stuff is better quality. I'll buy them over knock off items as long as the price isn't too out of whack. $19 is still a lot for a cable, but if you need it, you need it and it's still better than paying full price.
--
I'm hoping for a change. Vote Romney/Ryan 2012.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170

1 recommendation

reply to Count Zero

No wifi at my small gym...I use Clear's unlimited WiMax for 8-12Mb service. $50 and truly unlimited, at least until Clear goes bankrupt.

Count Zero
Obama-Biden 2012
Premium
Winston Salem, NC

Yeah they didn't have wifi at my for the longest time - used the 3G on my iPad or tethering from iPhone for the longest time. That's why I was so happy to see tethering made part of the family share plans!

BronsCon

join:2003-10-24
Walnut Creek, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to Count Zero

said by Count Zero:

Lightning IS NOT JUST USB 2.0 - it is capable of having nearly anything on the other end

That's funny, so is the USB2 micro connector...

BronsCon

Walnut Creek, CA
reply to Count Zero

Really? 128kbps? That's it? You should probably do some research.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

Yeah really. While A2DP CAN support 320kbps in HQ, few devices use that by default. Additionally that kind of bit rate needs 20MHz in the 2.4GHz band (crowded space) and if the audio isn't already a SBC compatible payload like MP4 audio it's transcoded before being sent.

BT audio isn't that bitchen.

BronsCon

Walnut Creek, CA

320kbps doesn't need 20MHz... you can push a hair more than 56mbps in the 2.4Ghz spectrum (it's called 802.11g and you're probably using it right now)

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit

If bluetooth audio was using the 802.11 working group standards that would interest me.

BT audio is it's own profile within just 1 part of the 802.15 (WPAN) standard and it is well fermented at this point. It is horribly slow and not meant to provide high quality audio. It is merely a solution for short range wireless 2ch audio.

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL
Reviews:
·Dish Network
reply to not quite right

And, let alone, this conversation is a bit weird. If a person is an audiophile, they won't be using iPhones, Bose and or BT to listen to music. If the person is the average music consumer (I consider myself a hair above), then BT, smartphones and sound docks are more than fine. They are for me.
--
“The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." - Barack Obama, UN Speech 9/25/2012. Ever hear of the First Amendment, BO? Vote Romney/Ryan and take America back.

BronsCon

Walnut Creek, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

1 edit
reply to skeechan

You missed my point. Bluetooth does not use a full 20MHz channel to pull off a 320kbps transfer with no room to spare.

EDIT: For the uninitiated, there are 79 Bluetooth channels, each 1MHz wide. Bluetooth 2.0 and 2.1+EDR are 3.0mbps over a single 1MHz channel, with 2.1mbps available to the application (in this case, streaming your 320kbps stream). Bluetooth 3.0+HS (supported by any phone currently on the market in the iPhone 5's price range, and many cheaper models) can use a Bluetooth channel to negotiate an 802.11 connection, then use that for up to 24mbps.

It's on Wikipedia if you don't want to trawl through whitepapers for the info. It's in the whitepapers, if you don't trust Wikipedia.

Count Zero
Obama-Biden 2012
Premium
Winston Salem, NC

And show one consumer audio device that uses that... NONE.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS
reply to BronsCon

If the headsets used WiFi or high profile PAN for their connectivity, great, but they use A2DP (at least all the ones I use) and it's a spectrum hog, 768kbps of a 1-3Mb BT2.1 capacity of which you can use 320kbps for actual audio transport as part of the standard; I'm assuming to permit substantial overhead for retransmits etc.

So while THEORETICALLY you could use that channel space to get decent audio, in practice you don't and the devices set default bit rates in the crapper which is why I stated you can improve quality by changing those default settings in some cases but even then, you aren't going to get good quality from 'em. In practice with the transcoding they'll have 128kbps quality. Not unlistenable but far from great.

Where are you getting 3Mb per channel from BT? BT 2.1 is 3Mb TOTAL from what I've read with 3.0 pushing 24Mb total as you describe.

BronsCon

Walnut Creek, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to Count Zero

My point was that 2.1mbps is a fair bit more than the 320kbps needed and that it's done in a 1MHz, not a 20MHz channel. The bit about BT3.0+HS using 802.11 was secondary, in response to skeechan's comment that he'd be interested to learn such a thing.

BronsCon

Walnut Creek, CA
reply to skeechan

I listed my sources (though I did not link to them -- how did we ever verify sources listed in bibliographies without hyperlinks?).

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170

1 recommendation

By actually stating the name/title of the source being referenced. "Various whitepapers" wouldn't have cut it in my day. But whatev. BT audio still blows.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
reply to Count Zero

The problem with consumer audio is they don't see the 'reference' bandwidth. They dumb down throughput to ensure reliability, thus bit rates that are in the crapper. So you end up with 64kbps or 128kbps audio if you are lucky.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
reply to Rob

said by Rob:

damn it. And I just bought 3 cables. Oh well. I need them badly.

I started thinking about this, and was wondering if Apple wants to keep the accessory market to itself.

Instead of buying a "logitech" dock/speaker system, you have to buy the overpriced Apple one.

I can get an upgrade from my wireless provider right now cheaply enough, but it's the one thing that's holding me back from a Iphone5 vs a 4S of which I have accessories that will fit.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......