Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
kudos:1
reply to not quite right

Re: [iPhone] Bigger Fail Than Maps ...

I just pre ordered an extra cable and adapter. I hate having to carry around all the extra cable!

spinJR
what exit?

join:2002-01-07
reply to not quite right

i got phone on friday of launch day and ordered 3 cables for pick up at store. there were ready in 90 mins.
--
welcome to NJ, pay the 7% and go home!

TheHarvester
Premium
join:2006-08-25
Dana Point, CA
kudos:3
reply to Thinkdiff

That was HDMI not microUSB. So far, ALL my microUSB cables work on ALL my microUSB devices.
--
mbsastronomy.com

pcdebb
RIP lil hurricane
Premium
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Bright House
reply to not quite right

maybe I can make some money from this. I had to stop by the Apple store over the weekend for something else, and they did have them there. I should buy them all and sell them on eBay
--
| map your city |

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ

Become an entrepreneur

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
reply to TheHarvester

That was my point though. Many cell phones try to stuff many different signals down the microUSB plug. In this case, Samsung changed the way they send video out requiring a $30 adapter.

Lightning isn't just a modified USB connector. It does a lot more.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

TheHarvester
Premium
join:2006-08-25
Dana Point, CA

And again, that is for the HDMI output ONLY. If you want to connect your phone to an HD television you need the adapter. The microUSB plug (for charging and data transfer to a computer) is a different connector that has not changed.
If I bought the SIII I wouldn't need to buy an adapter because I don't need my phone hooked to my television. If I bought an iPhone 5 I would need to buy 4 adapters just so I can charge the phone.
--
mbsastronomy.com

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to skeechan

said by skeechan:

Fixed it for ya

ANYONE's $5 microUSB cable
Apple licensed $30 Lightning cable

And.....

Monster Cable Lightning Cable $75

but the advertising will claim it speeds up the speed of light so it transfers data to your iPhone faster.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

Insight6

join:2012-08-25
reply to not quite right

When a device as simple as a cable for Apple's new premium phone is being argued and bitched about all over the place it doesn't take a genius to figure out that Apple screwed up big time. The only question by chance or on purpose?

Count Zero
Obama-Biden 2012
Premium
join:2007-01-18
Winston Salem, NC

Uuuuhhhhh if you had any "insight" you'd realize that Ligntning is not "as simple as a cable". It is a long-term technology that will allow for significant future expandability using a common interface by allowing the 9 connection pins to be dynamically reconfigured based on what the chip in the Lightning cable tells the phone it is supposed to do.
I mean in theory it could do USB2.0, USB3.0, FW, digital video, act as a USB controller for USB peripherals, etc. -- MicroUSB cannot do all of that without requiring a lot of proprietary stuff on its own.
--
Check out my site: »web.mac.com/jwsmiths

Play Mafia!: »Pub Games

Count Zero
Obama-Biden 2012
Premium
Winston Salem, NC
reply to TheHarvester

How would you need to buy 4? 1 comes with the phone, 1 for the car and 1 more for work/travel? For over a year you haven't had to plug the phone into the computer to sync so you don't need one for your desk really...

Metatron2008
Premium
join:2008-09-02
united state

The only difference I have seen is that lightning is two way while micro usb is one way. Both use the same power and power the same things.

And btw, usb can power monitors and sound.

Count Zero
Obama-Biden 2012
Premium
Winston Salem, NC

USB can power low resolution, high latency monitors. USB does do sound.

You should read about the Lightning design - it goes a lot further than two-way plugs. 9 dynamically reconfigurable pins gives it a world of expansion - more than MicroUSB has.

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Kendall, FL
reply to Mike

said by Mike:

$5 microUSB cable.
$30 Lightning cable.

The lightning cables are $19 dollars, not $30. But even @ $19, it's still a rip off.
--
CheckSite.us | YourIP.us | Reverseip.us

RickNY
Premium
join:2000-11-02
Farmingville, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

1 edit
reply to not quite right

I just want them to ship the stupid Lightning to 30-pin adapters that I ordered at the same time I ordered one additional Lightining to USB cable. I received the USB cable about a week after I ordered.. Still waiting on the adapters (still displays that vague ship date of October) -- and still no clue to what extent the capabilities of my Kenwood navigation system will be affected even with the adapter.

For now, I am using the somewhat crippled Bluetooth to just simply stream audio to the head unit. At least with iOS 5, I also got track information on the head unit when streaming over Bluetooth, as well as track control.. With iOS 6, I just get audio - no controls, no track info.

At least I was able to modify my iPhone 4s ProClip dock using the instructions here »www.instructables.com/id/Mod-iPh···Phone-5/ to get charging while in the dock in my vehicle (hence, my extra Lightning - USB cable)

Rick

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT
kudos:4
reply to Count Zero

said by Count Zero:

How would you need to buy 4? 1 comes with the phone, 1 for the car and 1 more for work/travel? For over a year you haven't had to plug the phone into the computer to sync so you don't need one for your desk really...

Cords right there. Then add on adapters and it becomes a ridiculous amount of money.

Dodge
Premium
join:2002-11-27
reply to Count Zero

said by Count Zero:

You should read about the Lightning design - it goes a lot further than two-way plugs. 9 dynamically reconfigurable pins gives it a world of expansion - more than MicroUSB has.

Here is what it gives you the way I see it:
1) Hunting for a proprietary cable when you need to charge your phone and forgot your own charger. At any given time we have at least 50 microUSB cables in the office between employees. While traveling any hotel front desk has a box of chargers that people left behind, your chances are much higher of finding a micro usb than this apple "innovation" if you left your charger at home.
2) You say its a way to do expansion, I see a way to mess with users. They can rearrange 2 pins and make everything on the market obsolete just to force you to buy more iStuff.
3) iPad and iPhone now use different connectors even though the two devices were probably going through design stages at the same time. So Apple can't even standardize their own devices? But if they would have released the new connector with the iPad 3 (or the new iPad or whatever they called it), then iPhone 5 would have had nothing to show as "revolutionary".

Yes Samsung SGSIII (which I don't have and don't like) needs an adapter for HDMI, but the number of people who actually hook up their phones to TVs is fairly small.

itguy05

join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA

1 edit
reply to not quite right

said by not quite right:but I didn't realize USB wasn't a digital connection, now here's the kicker it still uses USB 2.0. How freakin' confusing!!!

The only reason it's USB 2 is because the flash chips they are using cans read and write at speeds faster than what USB 2 provides. So it could be USB3 but you would gain 0 performance benefit until the memory gets faster. As far as I know all phone manufacturers use the slower memory.

RickNY
Premium
join:2000-11-02
Farmingville, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to not quite right

Another great aspect of the new Lightning connector -- Apple is tightening the rules for 3rd party accessory makers, and 3rd party Lightning accessories will likely not be seen until the holidays..
»www.ilounge.com/index.php/news/c···s-stall/

Badonkadonk
Premium
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL
kudos:5

Great aspect if you're Apple or a shareholder, I suppose.
--
I'm hoping for a change. Vote Romney/Ryan 2012.

cableties
Premium
join:2005-01-27
reply to PhoenixDown

Design it is USB 3.0 (faster sync) and not-orientation specific.
(How frustrating the current 30pin is as it MUST go on one way. At night or in dark place to plug in, its a real PITA. Not even a bump or indicator to those with poor vision to reference "Oh, this side up!".)

Apple is failing at HID...
--
Splat

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
reply to Rob

What's worse is there is nothing at Monoprice,so I can buy it cheaper.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to neuronbob

said by neuronbob:

Now that Teh Steve has passed, some of this idiosyncracy may improve. If it is indeed true that the iPhone 5 was the last iPhone to have been "blessed" by Steve, saner minds may prevail? Adopting mini-USB would make the lives of countless iPhone users easier, after all.

OH NO,if you think people went batshit now,imagine having another connector ,not compatible with anything else AGAIN.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
reply to RickNY

In otherwords, no more cheap Chinese knockoffs, everything will be uber expensive.

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
Kendall, FL
reply to elwoodblues

said by elwoodblues:

What's worse is there is nothing at Monoprice,so I can buy it cheaper.

And there won't be any until the Chinese can reverse engineer the chip, with some estimates saying not until end of year!
--

medbuyer

join:2003-11-20
kudos:4
reply to not quite right

just saw this...hope this helps somebody...

»slickdeals.net/f/5294682-IPhone-···ed-YMMV?

»shop2.sprint.com/NASApp/onlinest···%20cable

glad that i'm still on iphone4 and no plans of upgrading since the phone provides exactly what I need it for.

called up 3 local sprint stores and all of them have some...I guess I can buy 3 sets and sell them like pcdebb See Profile

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
Kendall, FL
reply to Dodge

Good point about the iPad. If I was to buy an iPad now, I'd have to carry around two sets of cable. Bah.. will wait then on considering purchasing an ipad.
--

itguy05

join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA
reply to cableties

said by cableties:

Design it is USB 3.0 (faster sync) and not-orientation specific.

The memory used in the phones can't read and write faster than USB 2.0 speeds. So any gains by USB 3.0 will still be constrained by the phone's memory itself.

That being said, the iPhone 5 will sync faster than the 4s:
»www.engadget.com/2012/09/18/appl···-review/

quote:
To test this we lined up an iPhone 4S next to an iPhone 5 and ran both through a number of syncs with large files. Pulling 5.5GB of data from iTunes to the iPhone 4S took five minutes and six seconds on average. Syncing those same files to the iPhone 5 took three minutes and 57 seconds on average. So, nearly 20 percent faster, but we're not sure how much of this is due to the new connector and how much can be attributed to faster internals in the phone itself.

We confirmed with Apple that the iPhone 5 itself only supports USB 2.0, so a faster interconnect on the other end wouldn't help anything (and it's unclear whether the internal storage could consume data more quickly if it were there), but there's nothing stopping the company from expanding the Lightning standard to work with Thunderbolt or USB 3.0 in the future.

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
Kendall, FL
reply to Rob

Good news for me is Apple finally sent me an email letting me know my cables have shipped with an expected delivery date of Friday.

Insight6

join:2012-08-25
reply to Count Zero

said by Count Zero:

Uuuuhhhhh if you had any "insight" you'd realize that Ligntning is not "as simple as a cable". It is a long-term technology that will allow for significant future expandability using a common interface by allowing the 9 connection pins to be dynamically reconfigured based on what the chip in the Lightning cable tells the phone it is supposed to do.
I mean in theory it could do USB2.0, USB3.0, FW, digital video, act as a USB controller for USB peripherals, etc. -- MicroUSB cannot do all of that without requiring a lot of proprietary stuff on its own.

Which has what to do with availability, or logistics, or planning, or even marketing for that matter?