Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

cableties
Premium
join:2005-01-27
reply to PhoenixDown

Re: [iPhone] Bigger Fail Than Maps ...

Design it is USB 3.0 (faster sync) and not-orientation specific.
(How frustrating the current 30pin is as it MUST go on one way. At night or in dark place to plug in, its a real PITA. Not even a bump or indicator to those with poor vision to reference "Oh, this side up!".)

Apple is failing at HID...
--
Splat

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
reply to Rob
What's worse is there is nothing at Monoprice,so I can buy it cheaper.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to neuronbob
said by neuronbob:

Now that Teh Steve has passed, some of this idiosyncracy may improve. If it is indeed true that the iPhone 5 was the last iPhone to have been "blessed" by Steve, saner minds may prevail? Adopting mini-USB would make the lives of countless iPhone users easier, after all.

OH NO,if you think people went batshit now,imagine having another connector ,not compatible with anything else AGAIN.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
reply to RickNY
In otherwords, no more cheap Chinese knockoffs, everything will be uber expensive.

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Kendall, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

What's worse is there is nothing at Monoprice,so I can buy it cheaper.

And there won't be any until the Chinese can reverse engineer the chip, with some estimates saying not until end of year!
--
CheckSite.us | YourIP.us | Reverseip.us

medbuyer

join:2003-11-20
kudos:4
reply to not quite right
just saw this...hope this helps somebody...

»slickdeals.net/f/5294682-IPhone-···ed-YMMV?

»shop2.sprint.com/NASApp/onlinest···%20cable

glad that i'm still on iphone4 and no plans of upgrading since the phone provides exactly what I need it for.

called up 3 local sprint stores and all of them have some...I guess I can buy 3 sets and sell them like pcdebb See Profile

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
Kendall, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Dodge
Good point about the iPad. If I was to buy an iPad now, I'd have to carry around two sets of cable. Bah.. will wait then on considering purchasing an ipad.
--

itguy05

join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA
reply to cableties
said by cableties:

Design it is USB 3.0 (faster sync) and not-orientation specific.

The memory used in the phones can't read and write faster than USB 2.0 speeds. So any gains by USB 3.0 will still be constrained by the phone's memory itself.

That being said, the iPhone 5 will sync faster than the 4s:
»www.engadget.com/2012/09/18/appl···-review/

quote:
To test this we lined up an iPhone 4S next to an iPhone 5 and ran both through a number of syncs with large files. Pulling 5.5GB of data from iTunes to the iPhone 4S took five minutes and six seconds on average. Syncing those same files to the iPhone 5 took three minutes and 57 seconds on average. So, nearly 20 percent faster, but we're not sure how much of this is due to the new connector and how much can be attributed to faster internals in the phone itself.

We confirmed with Apple that the iPhone 5 itself only supports USB 2.0, so a faster interconnect on the other end wouldn't help anything (and it's unclear whether the internal storage could consume data more quickly if it were there), but there's nothing stopping the company from expanding the Lightning standard to work with Thunderbolt or USB 3.0 in the future.

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
Kendall, FL
reply to Rob
Good news for me is Apple finally sent me an email letting me know my cables have shipped with an expected delivery date of Friday.

Insight6

join:2012-08-25
reply to Count Zero
said by Count Zero:

Uuuuhhhhh if you had any "insight" you'd realize that Ligntning is not "as simple as a cable". It is a long-term technology that will allow for significant future expandability using a common interface by allowing the 9 connection pins to be dynamically reconfigured based on what the chip in the Lightning cable tells the phone it is supposed to do.
I mean in theory it could do USB2.0, USB3.0, FW, digital video, act as a USB controller for USB peripherals, etc. -- MicroUSB cannot do all of that without requiring a lot of proprietary stuff on its own.

Which has what to do with availability, or logistics, or planning, or even marketing for that matter?

Baud1200

join:2003-02-10
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to Rob
said by Rob:

The stores around me are all OOS.

....I just can't understand how a company like Apple.....can still not have the ability to mass produce the cables in advance.

Not to mention that they want $19 dollars for a cable that probably costs them $2 dollars to mass produce.

Why?

Because the slave labor is getting restless my friend...

$2 for the cable is pretty close, likely on the high side though as
the whole phone only costs $199 to make.

fcisler
Premium
join:2004-06-14
Riverhead, NY
reply to Count Zero
said by Count Zero:

Uuuuhhhhh if you had any "insight" you'd realize that Ligntning is not "as simple as a cable". It is a long-term technology that will allow for significant future expandability using a common interface by allowing the 9 connection pins to be dynamically reconfigured based on what the chip in the Lightning cable tells the phone it is supposed to do.
I mean in theory it could do USB2.0, USB3.0, FW, digital video, act as a USB controller for USB peripherals, etc. -- MicroUSB cannot do all of that without requiring a lot of proprietary stuff on its own.

Firewire: Apple removing Firewire from the MacBook line is a sign to me that they are moving away from the technology. I seriously doubt they would ever do firewire.

Digital Video: You posted a link, so I'm SURE you understand MHL. I guess you could define "a lot of proprietary stuff" as a MHL adapter - but then again the apple device (lightning to HDMI) will be just as proprietary. Also: the SGS III is the only one with a "modified" MHL and there are workarounds.

Act as a USB controller: Really? USB On-The-Go.

USB 3: USB 3 Micro has yet to be a defined standard. It could use the same form factor for all we know. Also - USB 3 requires 9 pins and Lightning MIGHT support USB 3. Samsung has shown that MicroUSB can accomodate up to 11 pins in a regular MicroUSB connector - and still remain backwards compatible with existing connectors.

Everything you listed is available on MicroUSB. All require some sort of "proprietary stuff" - as do the lightning adapters.

You've failed to mention ANY possible "benefit" of the Lightning connector. The ability to insert it in either direction is about it.

The decision to use lightning vs MicroUSB is 100% about money and control. That is it. Read here for more. If you believe it was for any other reason you are sorely mistaken.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to Rob
said by Rob:

Good point about the iPad. If I was to buy an iPad now, I'd have to carry around two sets of cable. Bah.. will wait then on considering purchasing an ipad.

The Ipad 3s? Or the Ipad S?
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
Kendall, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by elwoodblues:

said by Rob:

The Ipad 3s? Or the Ipad S?

I'm going to assume the S is the mini? I want the regular iPad. I see a few on the refurbished website (I want one with wireless broadband) that I am considering
--

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
reply to Rob
$2. Ha. .75 cents.

KrK
Premium
Tulsa, OK
reply to PhoenixDown
Apple does: you have to get it through them, or from a third party that has to buy the licensing rights from Apple for a hefty premium and therefore the connectors are all much more expensive and every single one sold equals great profit for Apple.

There's a reason they make so much money, you know! And it's not from allowing manufacturers to make fully working Apple accessories royalty free....
--
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." -- Benito Mussolini

KrK
Premium
Tulsa, OK
reply to skeechan
said by skeechan:

Fixed it for ya

ANYONE's $5 microUSB cable
Apple licensed $30 Lightning cable

Ding Ding Ding!

Winner!
--
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." -- Benito Mussolini

Badonkadonk
Premium
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL
kudos:5
Lightning or USB, what sounds cooler? Lightning for sure. It's at least $25 cooler.
--
I'm hoping for a change. Vote Romney/Ryan 2012.

KrK
Premium
Tulsa, OK

1 recommendation

Yes, way Kooler then USB 2.0 or 3.0 or other nerdy terms.

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL
As in Kool-Aidier?

Count Zero
Obama-Biden 2012
Premium
join:2007-01-18
Winston Salem, NC
reply to Insight6
Well I do agree it would have been nice if Apple would have had a few device manufacturers have some stuff available at launch - especially a dock for my bedside and my desks.

Logistics and availability of the Apple stuff are due to less than optimal yields on the parts as previously noted online at MacRumors/Appleinsider.

KrK
Premium
Tulsa, OK
reply to Badonkadonk
Way Kool-Aider!

I prefer my Kool-Aid with Splenda!

Count Zero
Obama-Biden 2012
Premium
Winston Salem, NC
reply to fcisler
I wasn't suggesting/hoping Apple would make a FW-Lightning cable but I was pointing out that it was a technical possibility.

USB on the go could be very useful. Hooking up printers, cameras, etc. would all be possible.

Of course money plays a huge role - but this level of control also ensures Apple can maintain quality in the 3rd party accessories available.

I think you Android people are just upset that no one makes really high end accessories just for your devices and with Lightning that trend will continue
--
Check out my site: »web.mac.com/jwsmiths

Play Mafia!: »Pub Games

KrK
Premium
Tulsa, OK
reply to skeechan
I disagree. I honestly feel that Apple has that "elitist" crowd mentality going for it.

As in "Every Apple makes is the Best (Irregardless of fact), and I only want the best: I buy Apple".

IE it's as much a social status symbol effect as anything related to the actual products.

"I have Apple: I am the Best." mentality.

Don't get me wrong, I think Apple makes great products that are slick looking and work well... but the actual Apple Corporation acts like douchebags and rips off their users at will.

I'm not the one who has to always run out and get every new iAnything, but I know several people who do just that, irregardless of price.
--

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL
Reviews:
·Dish Network
reply to Count Zero
Because we want to pay more for the word "Lightning"? But you have a point there. Why pay $1.25 shipped for a microUSB cable when I can pay $25 for something called Lightning!

It just somehow rolls off the tongue so well. It reminds me of this commercial.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=ID6kSg4oeLU

Except, imagine the guy holding a Lightning cable and saying the word Lightning over and over again. It's the Kool-Aidiest!
--

Count Zero
Obama-Biden 2012
Premium
Winston Salem, NC

1 edit
Well if you enjoy plugging a $1.25 shipped MicroUSB cable into a piece of shit phone that's fine.

I'll buy a few lightning cables now and will use them for the next 5-10 years since Tim Cook has publicly stated that Lightning will be a long-term interface for Apple going forwards.

And the fact remains: At least people can buy "Made for iPhone" devices unlike any android phone I've ever seen.

You see anything like this for ANY droid out there? »www.bose.com/controller?url=/sho···ndex.jsp

Count Zero
Obama-Biden 2012
Premium
Winston Salem, NC
reply to KrK
There is definitely a status symbol to Apple products but their customer satisfaction simply cannot be merely due to that factor alone - it would be a gross oversimplification.

Case in point: I've had 3 friends buy Android based tablets after I couldn't convince them an iPad was worth it (2 Galxy Tabs and 1 Sony thing) - they all returned their Android tablets and bought an iPad within a month because the other tablets just weren't as good. They all love their iPads now and highly recommend them to other people looking for tablets - but clearly getting one as a status symbol was not the biggest factor to them.

My mother is computer illiterate (she still has an AOL.com email address) and would buy whatever the cheapest computer is for the longest time - but once I got her setup with a Mac mini (several years ago) she hasn't mentioned buying a Dell or HP or some other Windows based computer since. I've even heard her tell her friends "Oh you should just get a Mac, it just works".

People like Apple's products because they're well designed, they are typically very high quality and even just their appearance in a room is pleasing which really can affect people's perception of their devices. That's why we finally sell Dell, Samsung and others paying attention to the aesthetics of their products (though still not as much as Apple does).
--
Check out my site: »web.mac.com/jwsmiths

Play Mafia!: »Pub Games

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL
Reviews:
·Dish Network
reply to Count Zero
10 years - 10 microUSB cales - $12.50
10 years - 1 Lightning cable - $25

But, if I understand correctly, you enjoy plugging cables into phones. For you then, Lightning is the way to go. Welcome to the distortion field!
--

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL
Reviews:
·Dish Network
reply to Count Zero
Weird. My dad looks at my sons' Transformer Prime and Galaxy Tabs and makes comments about how he likes those and the stuff they can do that he can't. He hates iTunes.

It only makes sense that many prefer non-Apple stuff. After all, 49% of tablet users can't be wrong.
--

Count Zero
Obama-Biden 2012
Premium
Winston Salem, NC
reply to Badonkadonk
Actuallly since the iPhone comes with 1 - and every future iPad/iPhone that I buy will come with one too I probably won't have to spend any additional for a single other Lightning cable for the next 10yrs anyways as I've already bought a few extras.

But I guess you just like using devices without any 3rd party accessories available