Count Zero
Premium Member
join:2007-01-18
Milton, FL

Count Zero to 67845017

Premium Member

to 67845017

Re: [iPhone] Bigger Fail Than Maps ...

Bluetooth compresses audio. What a waste. The non-stuff dock also hobbles the device and the controls. It's an afterthought at best.
67845017 (banned)
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned) to Count Zero

to Count Zero
said by Count Zero:

So widgets.....
Everything else you mentioned is trivial or actually exists on the iPad in some fashion.

Pretty funny. When Apple doesn't have something, it "exists in some fashion", but when Android works with a device but not in the same way as iStuff, it's an "afterthought at best." Funny stuff.

As for BT sound quality, most of the reviewers say they can't tell a difference. BT audio has come a long way. Well, at least for non-iStuff. Don't know about the Apple things, since they can't even do NFC. I don't expect much.
Expand your moderator at work

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan to KrK

Premium Member

to KrK

Supposedly there is some controller ship to aid with making it reversible. While power was reversible, the data pinouts aren't.

Only in Cupertino is that solution better than just making a one-way connector following...GASP...standards.
skeechan

skeechan to Count Zero

Premium Member

to Count Zero
SD cards (expandable storage). Keyboard and mouse (in the case of my transformer, makes it VERY usable for productivity). Keep your wallet a little thicker.

Count Zero
Premium Member
Milton, FL

Count Zero

Premium Member

Personally haven't found a need for more storage that 32GB iPad (had a 64GB iPad 1 and didn't feel the need to stay that big for the 2) - and with cloud based storage it really just hasn't been a need.

I got a Logitech Bluetooth keyboard case for my iPad for charting at work - so I do agree it's a sometimes useful thing - but is easily available for iPad. Haven't needed or wanted a mouse but I do have a stylus for charting more efficiently.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

1 edit

skeechan

Premium Member

Both my 64GB iPad 3 and 64GB iPhone 5 are consistently full and if not for iTunes Match I would be seriously screwed in terms of being able to carry my media content. With my transformer, I have 32GB onboard, plus a 32GB micro SD and in the keyboard dock another 32GB full size SD.

BT keyboards suck ass with the iPad. I easily out type them and have to wait for them to catch up...not so with my physically connected Transformer dock with integrated trackpad which turns my Transformer into a handy netbook with 14 hour battery life. Worse, no pointing device for iPad, so when you have it propped up on a stand you still have to reach up to point rather than being able to mouse-about. Bad for productivity apps like Numbers, Pages and remote desktop apps. Remote desktop back to a Mac or PC on the 1920x1080p Transformer with a real keyboard and mouse is pretty sweet.

I wish a serious dock system was available for iPad like the one available for the Transformer, nearly as much as I wish the Transformer would run an OS other than horrible Android.

BronsCon
join:2003-10-24
Fairfield, CA

1 edit

BronsCon to Count Zero

to Count Zero
Lightning (connector) using USB2 is more capable than USB2?
BronsCon

BronsCon to Count Zero

to Count Zero
It's 9 pins... 2 power and 2 data on either side of a ground pin, with only a data pair, power pair, and ground (e.g. the 5 USB2 pins) used at any given moment; 2 pairs of power and data pins, with the ground pin in the center, is what allows it to be plugged in either way...

It's a USB2 connector for people too dense to plug it in right.
BronsCon

BronsCon to Count Zero

to Count Zero
said by Count Zero:

You see anything like this for ANY droid out there? »www.bose.com/controller? ··· ndex.jsp

Yes. That, actually. Being bluetooth, I don't even need to dock my Android phone to use it.
BronsCon

BronsCon to Count Zero

to Count Zero
said by Count Zero:

Bluetooth compresses audio. What a waste. The non-stuff dock also hobbles the device and the controls. It's an afterthought at best.

AAC (m4a, like you buy on iTunes) and MP3 compress audio, so you're getting that from your iDevice anyway. What's your point?
Dodge
Premium Member
join:2002-11-27

Dodge to Count Zero

Premium Member

to Count Zero
said by Count Zero:

You see anything like this for ANY droid out there? »www.bose.com/controller? ··· ndex.jsp

Yes that exact device you've just linked:
---------- FROM BOSE FAQ PAGE: ----------------
How do I switch between playing my iPod® or iPhone® and playing music from a Bluetooth device?
The SoundDock 10 Bluetooth system comes with two docking elements, a universal dock adapter for your iPod/iPhone and Bluetooth adapter. Simply unplug the system and remove the universal adapter from the dock, then insert the Bluetooth dock (it snaps securely into place). When you plug the system in again, the Bluetooth light will blink to indicate the system is in discoverable mode. Turn on the Bluetooth feature in your music phone (or other device) and select "Bose SoundDock 10" from the list of found devices.

Will the Bluetooth dock work with any Bluetooth phone?
Any Bluetooth phone purchased after January 2007 is likely to work. Phones purchased before that date may also work. To be sure, simply bring your phone to a Bose® store and try it out.

---------------------------------
Hmm, ANY Bluetooth phone you say? After Jan 2007 you say? Where can I possibly find one of those? Oh yeah, that's right, pretty much any smart phone and probably half of regular phones out there!

Ah, but the iPhone can sit in it docked, and an Android phone will have to be on a shelf next to it (or pretty much anywhere in the room). Which would be a great point if it wasn't for ..... wait for it...... The all new and improved lightning connector. That's right, a connector so advanced, it makes all your $600 docks obsolete!

But, but I can buy a converter (and for only $29.99 I might add), so everything will work again. Well yes, you can, however it is very unlikely that a phone with a converter will fit in the dock, so it will have to be a cable then, in which case it's the same functionality as you would get with Bluetooth, only tethered. So you might as well just turn to the Bluetooth functionality even for iPhone and render the whole "Made for Apple" argument pointless. Unless the idea is to change the slogan to "Made for Apple, just not the new ones"

Count Zero
Premium Member
Milton, FL

2 edits

Count Zero to skeechan

Premium Member

to skeechan
You should check out the Logitech keyboard - I easily type between 60-90wpm on it without lag.

I should add you carry around a LOT of stuff if you're filling up to 96GB worth of media cards! I guess I just keep a work-out music playlist on my iPad and a bunch of PDFs and other work related stuff and then stream movies over Netflix & Hulu, so 32GB is plenty for me for now.
Count Zero

Count Zero to BronsCon

Premium Member

to BronsCon
Lightning IS NOT JUST USB 2.0 - it is capable of having nearly anything on the other end from the iPhone. Right now the only cable being made is for USB 2.0 but given the nature of the connector itself that can change very very easily.
Count Zero

Count Zero to BronsCon

Premium Member

to BronsCon

Fail.
Count Zero

Count Zero to BronsCon

Premium Member

to BronsCon
And you hear your audio in recompressed 128kbps quality then. What a waste of money.
Count Zero

Count Zero to BronsCon

Premium Member

to BronsCon
Try again. I have over 10,000 songs in Apple Lossless in my library and only another 6,000 256kbps AAC songs. So I hear can actually hear CD quality music.
Count Zero

Count Zero to Dodge

Premium Member

to Dodge
1) If you use bluetooth you just paid $500 to listen to music that's re-compressed to 128kbps.

2) A new version for lightning will be coming - Apple stated that some of the higher end audio companies were given advance specs on Lightning and are redesigning their stuff now.

Robert
Premium Member
join:2001-08-25
Miami, FL

Robert to 67845017

Premium Member

to 67845017

said by 67845017:

said by Robert:

said by elwoodblues:

What's worse is there is nothing at Monoprice,so I can buy it cheaper.

And there won't be any until the Chinese can reverse engineer the chip, with some estimates saying not until end of year!

Reverse engineering is done. Initial clone cables are already being shipped. High prices for now, but no doubt they'll become commodity items soon enough.

»www.slashgear.com/apples ··· 9251089/

damn it. And I just bought 3 cables. Oh well. I need them badly.
67845017 (banned)
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned)

I wouldn't trust the early stuff anyway. It seems awfully fast for that work to have been in so short a time. Even though chips like that are easily reverse engineered, you never know if there are potential issues.

Robert
Premium Member
join:2001-08-25
Miami, FL

Robert

Premium Member

That's true. My 30 pin cables are all knock offs that cost me about $2/ea. (my original iPhone cable broke long time ago), so it didn't benefit me to spend the $29 for the adapter.

I'm just glad that the cables, while still a bit expensive @ $19, are $19 and not more.
Dodge
Premium Member
join:2002-11-27

Dodge to Count Zero

Premium Member

to Count Zero
said by Count Zero:

1) If you use bluetooth you just paid $500 to listen to music that's re-compressed to 128kbps.

Yeah because my entire music collection is losless audio and I can tell a difference between 128, 256, vbr, losless or whatever encoding was used. /sarcasm. Most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference, especially considering how much re-processing Bose systems do on their end.
said by Count Zero:

2) A new version for lightning will be coming - Apple stated that some of the higher end audio companies were given advance specs on Lightning and are redesigning their stuff now.

So another $600 because Apple decided to re-invent a usb cable.

Count Zero
Premium Member
Milton, FL

Count Zero

Premium Member

Well my living room stereo was around $3,000 and yes there is a noticeable difference. My living room setup is not a Bose - in fact the only Bose stuff I use are my OE2i headphones.

No, I would just buy the adapter - but it's still better than Bluetooth or a droid hooked up to it.