This is a sub-selection from One Phone, Multiple Networks

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD
reply to Rob

Re: One Phone, Multiple Networks

Too bad this isn't true for CDMA-based providers. It'd be nice if you could simply enter the ESN for any CDMA phone into your provider's website and BAM... service.
--
Romney/Ryan 2012 - Put a couple of mature adults in charge.

mech1164
I'll Be Back

join:2001-11-19
Lodi, NJ

1 recommendation

said by pnh102:

Too bad this isn't true for CDMA-based providers. It'd be nice if you could simply enter the ESN for any CDMA phone into your provider's website and BAM... service.

That's what consumers want not what carriers want. The Carriers want only two things. More of your Money and CONTROL. By controlling the handsets and access they can force you to pay more money than it's worth for services you want. One day we might get it right as of now don't hold you breath.

Telco

join:2008-12-19

2 recommendations

reply to pnh102
That's interesting because Repubs always talk about the market forces. Yet whenever you indicate failure after failure within the market of this flawed creed, I hear crickets.

It's not because CDMA carriers couldn't allow it, rather, it's much easier for them to block it and lock you into their network. It's no coincidence that this is not a problem elsewhere (like Europe), where the 'government' (aka We the People) have mandated open and compatible handsets and networks.

Our way is another reason why Verizon can now charge $40 for 300mb and get away with it too.

pnh102
Premium
Mount Airy, MD

2 recommendations

said by Telco:

That's interesting because Repubs always talk about the market forces. Yet whenever you indicate failure after failure within the market of this flawed creed, I hear crickets.

Yawn. We get it. Everything is the Republicans' fault even when they aren't in power. Amazing how they can pull that off.
said by Telco:

It's not because CDMA carriers couldn't allow it, rather, it's much easier for them to block it and lock you into their network. It's no coincidence that this is not a problem elsewhere (like Europe)

That's interesting because Democrats always talk about how great everything in Europe is. Yet whenever you indicate failure after failure in Europe's own economic and debt problems of their flawed approach, I hear crickets.
--

thomasnetguy

@comcast.net
reply to pnh102
said by pnh102:

you actually can in ,ost cases if you are willing to do a bit of 'flashing' to get the setting right.

while sprint does not allow flashed phones. verizon, cricket and metro always have. so while it is extremely rare for people to put spirnt phones on verizon it is entirely possible. flashing is common on cricket and metropcs.

Kommie
Premium
join:2003-05-13
united state
kudos:3
reply to pnh102
Stop listening to Fox News. Scandinavia, Germany, and even Poland are doing very well. Greece is whats talked about, but there are other countries in Europe that are not having any economic failures.

jseymour

join:2009-12-11
Waterford, MI
reply to pnh102
said by Telco:

That's because some (many? most?) conservatives take it too far, just as some (many? most?) liberals take it too far the other way.

It is possible to have free and open markets, where market forces compete, and have the public not getting screwed. It's also possible to have reasonable government oversight and regulation and have businesses not getting screwed.

For example: If you own the device, all compatible carriers must accept it. If a carrier subsidizes a phone, they are allowed to lock it to their network, but they must unlock it once the subsidization is satisfied. Carriers may not charge for subsidizing a phone when they're not, in fact, subsidizing a phone.

said by pnh102:

That's interesting because Democrats always talk about how great everything in Europe is. Yet whenever you indicate failure after failure in Europe's own economic and debt problems of their flawed approach, I hear crickets.

Greece, Italy, Spain and Portugal are not "all of Europe." You might just as well blame the entire U.S. for California's failings.

The truth is we have some of the most expensive, least bang-for-your-buck subscription TV, broadband and wireless services in the world. I don't care how you slice it, that's just wrong.

Jim

Bob61571

join:2008-08-08
Washington, IL
reply to Kommie
I have a number of Belgian friends (10) that just got laid off in last few weeks.... Manufacturing production / orders are down at their facility and other Euro facilities for this large US company.

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY
reply to mech1164
That is not true for any provider today, CDMA or GSM. The base frequencies are uniform(2G, mainly voice), but data (3G, LTE) frequencies are all over the map so if the phone doesn't support that band, then your $600 smartphone is a flip phone.

Outside of carriers locking phones, they create phones that don't work on others spectrum.

The big issue for Tmo is that their HSPA+ is very fast, except it has poor coverage and only their phones support these modes.

None of the iphones (CDMA/GSM - the CDMA do GSM) use data on 3G for TMO, it's all edge (2G), so dialup.

The iphone 5 now uses LTE in addition to the others, except Tmo current bands are still left out. So unless they have 1900Mhz (and I think Vegas just got on line) you are still on dialup. The metropcs dumping will help because they have CDMA frequencies and the all important NorthEast bandwidth that was lacking.

This is years down the road, so why would you want to put a $700 device in dialup mode when there are lots of prepaid options where it works in LTE mode? Or you could just pay the postpaid bounty.

CCNnorthcali

join:2004-03-07
San Francisco, CA
T-Mobile is deploying 1900Mhz HSPA+ at a lightning pace. Check out user reports here:
»airportal.de/

T-Mobile's coverage is not bad in urban areas, it just depends. Their plans are a great value for a lot of people. T-Mobile's LTE (launching next year, they're already working on it) is going to be compatible with all AT&T LTE phones.

pnh102
Premium
Mount Airy, MD
reply to Kommie
said by Kommie:

Stop listening to Fox News. Scandinavia, Germany, and even Poland are doing very well. Greece is whats talked about, but there are other countries in Europe that are not having any economic failures.

Germany is doing well? After bailing out Greece twice? That's a laugh.

Even they will run out of money at some point if they keep this BS up. And now they are looking to junk nuclear power completely? What a bunch of fools.
--

pnh102
Premium
Mount Airy, MD
reply to jseymour
said by jseymour:

Greece, Italy, Spain and Portugal are not "all of Europe." You might just as well blame the entire U.S. for California's failings.

And yet they do drag down the EU entirely. Why does the world care if 4 countries can't pay their bills? It is because when they fail, they will take the rest of the EU with them.

And we'll have to add France to that list too. A 75% tax on the rich? Good grief what stupidity.
--

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium
join:2005-07-01
Atlanta, GA
reply to elefante72
Please read up on CURRENT information. T-Mobile has been very busy refarming spectrum to deploy HSPA+ on the 1900MHz band, which every GSM iPhone supports for high-speed data. Several friends here in Atlanta that previously switched their iPhones to T-Mobile (and accepted they were getting 2G data) now have excellent HSPA+ speeds. This is with 3Gs and 4s phones. Several other metro areas have also been refarmed, with more on the way. T-Mobile is now even advertising with billboards and radio here in Atlanta that if you move your unlocked iPhone to them, you'll now receive great "4G" data (HSPA+) at a significantly cheaper price than AT&T.
--
Teabaggers: Destroying America is Priority #1

Kommie
Premium
join:2003-05-13
united state
kudos:3
reply to pnh102

Yep, they are doing very well the number one economy in the Europe, and Germany is the world's third largest exporter. I bet Fox News does not mention that.

They can afford to bail out the Greeks thats why they did it. They are junking their nuclear due to concerns after the Japan disaster. They are heavily investing in renewable energy.

civicturbo

join:2009-11-08
USA
reply to fuziwuzi
Thanks for posting this info, I had my unlocked iPhone 3GS on tmobile for awhile, I got 200k on the edge network, I switched to h2o wireless ( a mvno reselling AT&T) because their cheaper. I was paying 100 for 1000 mins. Good for 1 yr. but 1000 would never last. With h2o i got a free sim (mins bought thru pinzoo.com) and pay 25/mth prepaid monthly. For 1000 mins cool thing is $ balance rolls over, it doesn't sound like it from the site but they do.
Data is slow 150-200k and burn up the $ quick. Now if tmobile supports my 3G data on my phone that would be very enticing. I currently run around with a Clear iSpot in my pocket. (Another $25/mth unlimited data 6/1 speed unlocked works for all my wifi devices

saiflu

join:2012-10-10
united state
reply to fuziwuzi
Hi,
Did you say you were getting 4G in Atlanta?

I live here and am not getting any 4G, only Edge.

Where exactly are you getting 4G?

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium
join:2005-07-01
Atlanta, GA
Several of my friends here in Atlanta, with 3GS and 4, are now getting HSPA+ instead of EDGE. Perhaps it depends on your neighborhood. They are in Midtown.
--
Teabaggers: Destroying America is Priority #1