New sign-up questions... Hi,
Assuming a mortgage approval (knock on wood), I will be moving somewhere between the middle and end of November. I've been thinking about switching to Start from "big red" for a while, and I figure a new installation would be the ideal time to do it since I would most likely avoid any downtime. So I have a couple of questions:
1) How long ahead should I order the service? I currently rent the modem, so I'd also need to buy a DCM476, which I assume probably doesn't take too long to get here.
2) I don't have any other cable services - I don't have cable TV and home phone anymore - I'm all Internet-based now. How does one ensure that the cable is tagged with a "TPIA" tag? I'm in a condo building, so I don't have access to the room to check that it was done. I've heard of those stories where TPIA subscribed get "accidentally" disconnected because their line wasn't tagged.
I ask this because reading around here and the Teksavvy forum, it looks like a lot of people never see the installation guy, so it may not be possible to ask him straight out.
3) Are there any advantages to signing up over the phone as opposed to the online form?
4) If a train is traveling at 100Km/h and another train is coming from the opposite direction at... Oh... wait... wrong forum.
First off good luck on the home buying!
1. In Red territory we would need about a week to get you hooked up, we would send your modem out so you would it a day or two before the install takes places so you are ready to go that day.
2. Disconnects happen when it's a transfer of service or you are cancelling other Red services. However on the day of the install you could meet with the tech to tag your line as the tech would need access from the building manager and you could ask to be called when the tech gets there. Unfortunately we have no way to request the line is tagged for you.
3. There are no advantages of signing up online or by phone, except by phone you would get to speak to one of our amazing and friendly sales agents.
4. Yikes, better hope that they're not on the same track!
1) OK.. I'll know a few weeks in advance exactly when I'm moving, so I guess I'll place the order early enough just in case the techs are busy bees around that time.
2) I think the tech guys have some sort of access to the room because as far as I know, they never ring the building manager. I guess the best thing is for me to ask where that room is and leave a note on the door asking the tech to call me.
3) I'll see if I'm in a talkative mood that day. That would test their handling of the French-Canadian accent. hehehe
4) Of course they are, otherwise there's no thrill! See the movie "Unstoppable".
Thanks for your help!