This is a sub-selection from One Phone, Multiple Networks

Telco

join:2008-12-19
Reviews:
·Callcentric

2 recommendations

reply to pnh102

Re: One Phone, Multiple Networks

That's interesting because Repubs always talk about the market forces. Yet whenever you indicate failure after failure within the market of this flawed creed, I hear crickets.

It's not because CDMA carriers couldn't allow it, rather, it's much easier for them to block it and lock you into their network. It's no coincidence that this is not a problem elsewhere (like Europe), where the 'government' (aka We the People) have mandated open and compatible handsets and networks.

Our way is another reason why Verizon can now charge $40 for 300mb and get away with it too.

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD

2 recommendations

said by Telco:

That's interesting because Repubs always talk about the market forces. Yet whenever you indicate failure after failure within the market of this flawed creed, I hear crickets.

Yawn. We get it. Everything is the Republicans' fault even when they aren't in power. Amazing how they can pull that off.
said by Telco:

It's not because CDMA carriers couldn't allow it, rather, it's much easier for them to block it and lock you into their network. It's no coincidence that this is not a problem elsewhere (like Europe)

That's interesting because Democrats always talk about how great everything in Europe is. Yet whenever you indicate failure after failure in Europe's own economic and debt problems of their flawed approach, I hear crickets.
--
Romney/Ryan 2012 - Put a couple of mature adults in charge.

Kommie
Premium
join:2003-05-13
united state
kudos:3
Stop listening to Fox News. Scandinavia, Germany, and even Poland are doing very well. Greece is whats talked about, but there are other countries in Europe that are not having any economic failures.

jseymour

join:2009-12-11
Waterford, MI
reply to pnh102
said by Telco:

That's because some (many? most?) conservatives take it too far, just as some (many? most?) liberals take it too far the other way.

It is possible to have free and open markets, where market forces compete, and have the public not getting screwed. It's also possible to have reasonable government oversight and regulation and have businesses not getting screwed.

For example: If you own the device, all compatible carriers must accept it. If a carrier subsidizes a phone, they are allowed to lock it to their network, but they must unlock it once the subsidization is satisfied. Carriers may not charge for subsidizing a phone when they're not, in fact, subsidizing a phone.

said by pnh102:

That's interesting because Democrats always talk about how great everything in Europe is. Yet whenever you indicate failure after failure in Europe's own economic and debt problems of their flawed approach, I hear crickets.

Greece, Italy, Spain and Portugal are not "all of Europe." You might just as well blame the entire U.S. for California's failings.

The truth is we have some of the most expensive, least bang-for-your-buck subscription TV, broadband and wireless services in the world. I don't care how you slice it, that's just wrong.

Jim

Bob61571

join:2008-08-08
Washington, IL
reply to Kommie
I have a number of Belgian friends (10) that just got laid off in last few weeks.... Manufacturing production / orders are down at their facility and other Euro facilities for this large US company.

pnh102
Premium
Mount Airy, MD
reply to Kommie
said by Kommie:

Stop listening to Fox News. Scandinavia, Germany, and even Poland are doing very well. Greece is whats talked about, but there are other countries in Europe that are not having any economic failures.

Germany is doing well? After bailing out Greece twice? That's a laugh.

Even they will run out of money at some point if they keep this BS up. And now they are looking to junk nuclear power completely? What a bunch of fools.
--

pnh102
Premium
Mount Airy, MD
reply to jseymour
said by jseymour:

Greece, Italy, Spain and Portugal are not "all of Europe." You might just as well blame the entire U.S. for California's failings.

And yet they do drag down the EU entirely. Why does the world care if 4 countries can't pay their bills? It is because when they fail, they will take the rest of the EU with them.

And we'll have to add France to that list too. A 75% tax on the rich? Good grief what stupidity.
--

Kommie
Premium
join:2003-05-13
united state
kudos:3
reply to pnh102

Yep, they are doing very well the number one economy in the Europe, and Germany is the world's third largest exporter. I bet Fox News does not mention that.

They can afford to bail out the Greeks thats why they did it. They are junking their nuclear due to concerns after the Japan disaster. They are heavily investing in renewable energy.