spc
Search similar:

uniqs
indy88
join:2012-09-18
Boca Raton, FL

indy88

[Other] IPv6 Ready Home Network?

I'm getting ready to upgrade my home network & I'm looking for some advice. My network consist of a D-Link DCM202 cable modem, a Netgear WPN824v3 router, a Linksys WRT56GSv6 router, and a Linksys WRT56Gv6 router. The Netgear is the main router & the
Linksys are used as switches/access points with DHCP disabled. The
D-link & the Netgear will be upgraded to docsis3 & IPv6 ready units. My main question is will the Lynksys switches/access points also have to be IPv6 ready? My network PCs have win7 & xp installed. Comcast is my ISP here in SE FL. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
John
Bink
Villains... knock off all that evil
join:2006-05-14
Colorado

1 edit

Bink

[Removed]
medbuyer
join:2003-11-20
Memphis, TN

medbuyer to indy88

to indy88
said by indy88:

I'm getting ready to upgrade my home network & I'm looking for some advice. My network consist of a D-Link DCM202 cable modem, a Netgear WPN824v3 router, a Linksys WRT56GSv6 router, and a Linksys WRT56Gv6 router. The Netgear is the main router & the
Linksys are used as switches/access points with DHCP disabled. The
D-link & the Netgear will be upgraded to docsis3 & IPv6 ready units. My main question is will the Lynksys switches/access points also have to be IPv6 ready? My network PCs have win7 & xp installed. Comcast is my ISP here in SE FL. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
John

do you have a need to be IPv6 ready though?

and I don't think the switches need to be IPv6 ready...

I've seen users that have IPv6 but still retain the same network equipment.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

1 recommendation

cdru

MVM

said by medbuyer:

and I don't think the switches need to be IPv6 ready...

A dumb layer 2 switch, no. Switches operate a step up on the OSI model at Layer 2 so it doesn't care what version of IP you're running or if you are even running an IP-based network.

If it's a managed layer 2 switch or a layer 3 switch/router, maybe. It will still work probably but the management interface and/or routing may not.

AnonFTW
@rr.com

AnonFTW to indy88

Anon

to indy88
Just an FYI if you decide to eliminate IPv4, Windows XP can't do file sharing via IPv6. Internet access shouldn't be a problem, but the 7 and XP machines won't be able to talk to each other unless you leave IPv4 running.
AnonFTW

AnonFTW to cdru

Anon

to cdru
said by cdru:

Switches operate a step up on the OSI model at Layer 2 ...

Shouldn't that be a step down? (Layer 3 to Layer 2)

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru

MVM

said by AnonFTW :

said by cdru:

Switches operate a step up on the OSI model at Layer 2 ...

Shouldn't that be a step down? (Layer 3 to Layer 2)

Depends. Are the numbers little endian or big endian?