join:2003-12-10
Campbell Hall, NY

dellsweig to not quite right

MVM

to not quite right

Re: [iPhone] Bigger Fail Than Maps ...

said by not quite right:

said by dellsweig:

Not sure what you are talking about - I had my Lightning to USB cables delivered two days before my Phone arrived.....

I ordered an additional cable and had that within 3 days.

OK you know exactly what I'm talking about ... good for you to have the intelligence to research some secret Chinese connection on ebay beforehand and pre-order your cables. I on the other hand never thought for a second that I couldn't go down to the Apple Store, Best Buy, or at&t store on launch day and not be greeted with big huge boxes full of this stuff just waiting to gouge me $29.99 - $39.99 a pop!
All I can think of is this is a pre-planned shortage to make people desperate and ignore the fact that these are outrageous prices, and blindly buy these accessories.

Yes - I did the research and found the 'secret chinese connection" cables were most likely vapor and decided instead to pay for cables instaead of waiting for a cheap knock off that may or may not work.

For one to Say Apple had no cables available is just plain false....

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person
join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA

not quite right

said by dellsweig:

Yes - I did the research and found the 'secret chinese connection" cables were most likely vapor and decided instead to pay for cables instaead of waiting for a cheap knock off that may or may not work.

For one to Say Apple had no cables available is just plain false....

I'm gonna throw out another good for you on your foresight to pre-order your cables directly from Apple. I, like millions of others haven't had to worry about these types of accessories ever for the iPhone, so I guess reality never really set in that Apple wouldn't be prepared to convert the masses over to this new type of lightning connector on launch day.
On launch day I realized the error of my ways and went to the Apple Store online, The Apple Store in Tacoma Mall, Best Buy, Fry's, at&t store, Verizon store, Sprint Store, Radio Shack, Wal-mart, and Target coming up empty handed. That was the case then, and that's still the case now. Please tell me how Apple had cables available again, because that is just plain false.

banditws6
Shrinking Time and Distance
Premium Member
join:2001-08-18
Frisco, TX

banditws6 to dellsweig

Premium Member

to dellsweig
Apple does not have enough Lightning cables available.

I can understand production yields being limited on a device as complex as the iPhone 5, but I have a harder time understanding why it is so difficult for Apple stores to keep comparatively simple Lightning accessories in stock.

I've walked into an Apple store three times since launch and never has there been a Lightning to USB cable available to purchase. The third time I called ahead and they said "Yeah, we have them." After which I drove down there to discover I'd wasted half an hour of my time, because they actually did not have them.

At this point I would have been better off ordering a spare from Apple.com and waiting the published 2 weeks before shipment. I just couldn't fathom that it would take that long for stores to get adequate stock. But so far it has.