Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

unibroker
Premium
join:2010-11-12
Altadena, CA

Sonic & ZTE

When I signed up with Sonic at the beginning of the year I had router problems so they sent me a ZTE brand replacement. ZTE has been placed on a list that the US deems a security risk and advises US companies not to do business with them. Does Sonic still sell ZTE routers?

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
It seems from other posters that the current modem is the Pace 4111N.

DaneJasper
Sonic.Net
Premium,VIP
join:2001-08-20
Santa Rosa, CA
kudos:9
reply to unibroker
said by unibroker:

When I signed up with Sonic at the beginning of the year I had router problems so they sent me a ZTE brand replacement. ZTE has been placed on a list that the US deems a security risk and advises US companies not to do business with them. Does Sonic still sell ZTE routers?

No, we no longer provide ZTE DSL modem equipment, but not as a result of the concerns raised by the committee.

As you note, we used to offer two different ZTE customer premise equipment options, a basic bridge (which has no IP connectivity), and a consumer premise router, the ZTE model W300. Today we provide a modem/router/firewall product from Pace Americas (which was formerly US-based 2Wire corporation), the Pace model 4111N, an ADSL+ modem, 4-port router with WiFi N 2x2 and stateful firewall features.

The concerns about Huawei and ZTE seem to center around core infrastructure equipment such as voice and data routing equipment. And, while we did evaluate the ZTE DSLAM/MSAP platform, we made a choice to stick with our current vendor, US-based Adtran.

-Dane