Let's Go Orange
Premium
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

[Newsgroups] Linux Newsgroup Reader

I've been slowing migrating over to linux. I've been able to use WINE to run Newsbin Pro but it has a tendency to lock up now and then and it can be a real pain. I was going to post this over in the linux forum but I want the input from the posters in here on what you use?
--
Finally... Orioles clinch playoff spot! Go O's!

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

1 recommendation

Sabnzbd is perfect for linux....actually it runs on just about any operating system.
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts

Stem Bolt
Aka Smiling Bob
Premium
join:2002-11-08
Cleveland, OH
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to kingdome74

Do you require the client to download headers, ect? Or do you only use NZB's?

Sabnzbd would be a good choice if you only use NZB's. Sabnzbd can't download headers, ect.

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium
Syracuse, NY

I've been meaning to try Sabnzbd but I always kept forgetting to so this will be a good time to try it out. Thanks you two!
--

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

1 recommendation

Once you get sabnzbd+ in place, be sure to check out sickbeard (tv shows) and couch potato (movies). Turns Usenet into a DVR

I put of using sick beard for the longest time but when I finally took the plunge, it was totally worth it. Movies I don't do so much so I've never done couch potato myself.
--
♬ Music is life ♬

newster

join:2011-09-26
reply to Stem Bolt

said by Stem Bolt:

Do you require the client to download headers, ect? Or do you only use NZB's?

Sabnzbd would be a good choice if you only use NZB's. Sabnzbd can't download headers, ect.

URD is similar to SABnzbd, but also has headers, searches, and spots, if you're looking for something closer to a 1:1 replacement for Newsbin Pro for Linux.

»www.urdland.com

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
join:2001-11-26
Earth
kudos:19
reply to kingdome74

said by kingdome74:

I've been meaning to try Sabnzbd but I always kept forgetting to so this will be a good time to try it out. Thanks you two!

And this is all will ever need.

You should also look at »My Setup

I think nearly every single one of those applications has a Linux version. If you have problems finding an app, let me know. I can help you find an alternative.
--
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -MLK

samphar

join:2012-02-15
Alpharetta, GA
reply to kingdome74

If you still read text newsgroups like alt.os.linux.ubuntu then you might want to give Pan at »pan.rebelbase.com a look. It is supports inline viewing of jpg and looks a bit like Forte agent. I use Fedora and have been using SABNzb for binaries and pan for text.

Thunderbird is also an option for text groups.

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium
Syracuse, NY

I used Pan a few years ago and forgot about it. As I recall I really liked it. Thanks!
--

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium
Syracuse, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to kingdome74

I have Sabnzbd up and running. Just working my way through configuring it for my needs. I didn't have to download it because it was already in my repository. It's going to be perfect for my needs.
--