uniqs
Bob61571
join:2008-08-08
Washington, IL

1 edit

Bob61571 to betam4x

to betam4x

Re: No Coverage

Ditto on the small coverage area problem.

Wouldn't it make more sense for them, to use a WalMart philosophy on this? Start in the rural areas where the need for speed is biggest. THEN, build into the big metros.

They offered me a beta for this the other day, but nothing within 100 miles of me...Can't they check zip codes before beta invitations?
rradina
join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

rradina

Since FreedomPop is an MVNO and they use Clear, are we suggesting Clear should go with a rural strategy first?

Also, I think it depends on what "rural" means. Before Wal-Mart grew gigantic, they put stores in areas with a "trade territory" of 50,000 or more. I don't classify this as a "BFE" rural area. Many small towns of this size probably have potentially more-than-competitive wired options (DSL and cable). While Clear's speeds are DSL-competitive, latency is an issue for gamers. Even if the local cable company is still using older DOCSIS (provided they aren't using a dialup return!), Clear may not be competitive.

This leaves disgruntled cable and DSL users or users with no other options. In Missouri, many of these towns already have a fixed wireless option or two and Clear would also have to compete with them.

I don't see much profit with this strategy unless they go LTE and can match cable's slower packages for a cheaper price. They would then offer a viable competitive option to cable and potentially gain DSL defections.