Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Mark_Venture

join:2000-05-31
Thorndale, PA

1 recommendation

reply to medbuyer

Re: New home construction... Cat5e/RJ45 rewire?

Thanks everyone for the responses.

Yes, my concern was about the attachment of the wires, like being punched down as WhiteBlue, Blue, WhiteOrange, Orange, WhiteGreen, Green, WhiteBrown, Brown in the basement. Even though I know its punched down for "phone" could this have an impact on the wire layout for ethernet at the wall jack end? Hopefully the jack end is color coded and punched properly. I'll look at them once we get in.

asjamias, I have a smaller version of that.

What you have looks like what I'd eventually want to have.

When I get into the house I'll remove the 6 I need to have as data jacks. I managed to pick up a 47605-C5B from Homedepot for $20. I will punch the 6 cat5's which will be immediately used for data down to it. And I'll patch from there to my switch. If I need to use any of them as phone later, I'll just punch a short cable with RJ45 on one end to the 47606-BTV and plug it into the appropriate port on the 47605-C5B.

I'll likely make my own custom phone cables with RJ45 connectors on the "wall" end so I don't destroy the pins in the wall jack, or have the regular phone cables "wiggle" in there.

Thinking about it now, I probably could just use a regular patch panel outside the Leviton box, but I wanted to keep it inside and as neat as I could. Now that I look at yours, I don't think my Ethernet switch will fit inside the box, not to mention I'm already maxed out, so if I need to run more cables later, I'll have to make some changes.

--
In use... Netgear WNR3500v2.. see profile for PC and cell phone configs