join:2008-08-13
Aurora, ON

jackie999

Acanac IPTV approved :)

Nothing to do but wait for rates ...
quote:
2012-539 Zazeen Inc.
Gatineau, Montréal, Québec and Sherbrooke, and their surrounding areas, Quebec
APPROVED - Application for a regional broadcasting licence to operate terrestrial broadcasting distribution undertakings to serve the above-noted locations and their surrounding areas

2012-540 Zazeen Inc.
Toronto, Hamilton/Niagara, Oshawa, Kitchener, Ottawa, London and Windsor, and their surrounding areas, Ontario
APPROVED - Application for a regional broadcasting licence to operate terrestrial broadcasting distribution undertakings to serve the above-noted communities in Ontario
More info on the acanac community forums (News and information)

Pretty exciting stuff :)
postfixalgo
join:2011-08-12

postfixalgo

Re: Acanac IPTV approved :)

How do you mean "exiting" ? Regulated by the same CRTC rules as Rogers, Bell, etc. etc. there's probably not much to write home about, - if they ever get it off the ground.
jackie999
Aurora, ON

jackie999

said by postfixalgo:

How do you mean "exiting" ? Regulated by the same CRTC rules as Rogers, Bell, etc. etc. there's probably not much to write home about, - if they ever get it off the ground.

"Exciting" is a relative term I mean it in the way that it will be competition for the duopoly that is now available to me. If it's affordable, again, for me, then it will be awesome
postfixalgo
join:2011-08-12

postfixalgo

Well, the duopoly is actually more like a "threepoly", and Shaw Direct have a really good deal on right now.
I just wonder what the likes of Zazeen (Acanac) can possibly offer in terms of features and price that the big guys wouldn't quickly duplicate to kill the competition? Just playing devil's advocate, but let's see what happens
jackie999
Aurora, ON

jackie999

Shaw isn't available to me here and even if it were I would always support the indies.
carcajou
join:2012-10-16
Riviere-Beaudette, QC

2 edits

carcajou to jackie999

to jackie999
In my humble opinion, it will be a ripoff for the following reason:

They are advertising it as a " Beta testing " at present and one owner wrote:

( quote from Acanac )The fun is about to start however before going officially live we would like to have about one thousand Beta testers.

With that said before you even consider yourself for such an adventure please beware that you will experience outages, software bugs and in many cases just a down right horrible experience. Worst of all you will be paying for it. ( end of quote )

The terms of service those " beta-testers " will get is not clear at present but I suspect those " beta-testers " will :

1) have to enter a contract

2) Will pay a price that will not be significantly less than what they now pay for their TV.

3) They will be psychologically prepped for a BAD SERVICE

4) Will maybe waive some of their rights to complaints as Consumers in their Terms of Service ( because it s just beta you know ? )

5) Will maybe not be allowed to get out easily of their beta experience if it turns out to be really horrible.

6) Nothing really guarantees that Acanac will offer them anything better than their present unreachable Support Service

Ok...now, we re not talking here of some fantastic new technology using telepathic waves modulated by a Zyclotron: it s actually an OLD TECHNOLOGY !!!! dating back to the 90s and that has been in use in many countries ( including Canada ) for many years.

Millions of homes in Canada are " IPTV ready " and the infrastructure was built by the big Telecom companies like Bell. It s not something Acanac themselves need to " beta-test "

Likewise, Acanac did not write the software for the set top box ( I think it s Microsoft Mediaroom ).

What Acanac needs to do at their own end is much more simpler.,...like making sure they have enough bandwidth etc...And I m now wondering if they re doing it...
jackie999
Aurora, ON

jackie999

said by carcajou:

In my humble opinion, it will be a ripoff for the following reason:

carcajou, sorry, but I don't think your response is such a 'humble opinion' ..a casual glance at your recent posts are an all out witch hunt against acanac. While I'm all for free speech - this thread was merely to announce the CRTC's approval of acanac's IPTV offering. If you're looking for followers for your acanac lynching try the Canadian Broadband section
carcajou
Riviere-Beaudette, QC

carcajou

Jackie

Right, I have a dispute with Acanac, but I do my best to use logical arguments. You are free to dispute any of them.

I saw that Paul displayed on the Acanac Community Forum a drawing of a remote control in a post asking people to make suggestions for modifications as if Acanac was building that thing from scratch including designing the remote. Do you want to argue here that we should believe THAT ?

And use LOGICAL arguments.

Now, for your own impartiality, Acanac was permanently banned from the digitalhome forum for repeated spamming. The ban is in effect for " eternity plus one extra year " from what I heard from that website.....
jackie999
Aurora, ON

jackie999

said by carcajou:

And use LOGICAL arguments.

As I'd already implied - you're looking for an argument (and a soapbox) - you won't find it here.
carcajou
Riviere-Beaudette, QC

carcajou

Jackie: my question is simple: Do you think Paul is really busy with his Autocad software designing a remote ?

Why does he want so bad to give the impression Acanac is now doing a great technological feat if not to prepare subscribers for a sub-par service ?

Canaca
Premium Member
join:2007-03-05
Mississauga, ON

Canaca to jackie999

Premium Member

to jackie999
It has been the one of most demanding projects I have ever been involved in.

1. It's a regulatory nightmare. It makes GAS and TPIA seem easy in comparison.

2. Technology wise it's still in it's infancy. In fact we will be one of the first companies in Canada to offer IPTV service over HLS.

3. Negotiating content rights is not only time consuming but also very expensive.

If it was easy everyone would be doing it.
carcajou
Riviere-Beaudette, QC

1 edit

carcajou

Dear valued IPTV supplier

I sure agree with you that it is NOT easy. Superlatively NOT easy.

And I looked at the CRTC decision of early october. LOTS of requirements including quality of service. Do you think calling it " beta " sets you free from all those ?

Will you install those local head ends in each local market ?

Canaca
Premium Member
Mississauga, ON

1 edit

Canaca

Premium Member

Like with any other beta service it's to work out the bugs. With that said we have chosen one of the best middleware companies on the market. Not only do we believe we will meet the requirements we will exceed them.

pick a name
@videotron.ca

pick a name

Anon

said by Canaca:

With that said we have chosen one of the best middleware companies on the market.

1. Who? Which is the best middleware companies on the market that you chose?

2. How much for the STB?

3. How much for activation?

4. How much for the service?

5. How much for additional channels?

6. On a 5-meg service, how much will be used for one TV? 720? HLS?

7. How much upstream and downstream will be left for an internet service with one TV on?

8. If there are issues, is the customers only option for support and billing via Email as you operate now?

9. What will be your serving area's? And when?

10. Which STB is it? Is it proprietary firmware/software? Or openware/opensource? I guess it might be proprietary since it's HLS, thus locked out of the STB.

Care to fill in these blanks?

Canaca
Premium Member
Mississauga, ON

Canaca

Premium Member

1. Who? Which is the best middleware companies on the market that you chose?

Minervanetworks

2. How much for the STB?

We will offer three units. They will start at around $49.95

3. How much for activation?

$0

4. How much for the service?

Pricing will be announced in the near future.

5. How much for additional channels?

Pricing will be announced in the near future.

6. On a 5-meg service, how much will be used for one TV? 720? HLS?

The highest bit-rate is currently set to 5Mbps however you will be able to get away with 3Mbps. We will also allow upto 8Mbps during off peak hours in some channels.

7. How much upstream and downstream will be left for an internet service with one TV on?

We are using HSL. It will always try to use the highest bit-rate available. If it detects that you don't have enough for 5Mbps it will go to 4Mbps and then 3Mbps and so on.

8. If there are issues, is the customers only option for support and billing via Email as you operate now?

This is not how we operate now. We will also have phone support to IPTV clients.

9. What will be your serving area's? And when?

You will find a link to the covered areas below.

»community.acanac.com/aca ··· &t=22485

10. Which STB is it? Is it proprietary firmware/software? Or openware/opensource? I guess it might be proprietary since it's HLS, thus locked out of the STB.

It's not open source. For example we will support Entone and Amino

pick a name
@videotron.ca

pick a name

Anon

Well that's not all terrible, aside from the locked/proprietary software on the STB.

Monthly price will determine all.

What's your target date? Around January to be up, going, and selling it?

Canaca
Premium Member
Mississauga, ON

Canaca

Premium Member

If your a current client hopefully in the next few weeks. (Beta Testing)
Beta testing will will not be open to the general public. We are just waiting for a wireless bug fix and the go ahead from our regulatory lawyers.
carcajou
Riviere-Beaudette, QC

4 edits

carcajou to jackie999

to jackie999
The future

( Me, visiting a proud beta tester ) Salut, watching the big game ?

( beta tester ) Yup

( Me ) It s not too good. Look at this replay in slow motion. The puck is so pixellised that it looks like the goalie is catching a dog turd in his mitt. And now, Don Cherry s shirt collar looks like it s of normal height and size. Something isn t working.

( beta tester ) I m a beta tester: I told them about this bug a couple months ago. They ll do something about it.

( me ) And you are paying for this ?

( beta tester ) Yes, but I m at the cutting edge

( Me ) Isnt a beta test supposed to be an exchange of service like you get to use the product for free and you help them iron out the bugs in exchange ?

( beta tester ) I m proud to be at the cutting edge. This is also a NEW KIND of beta test. See ? I m not only beta testing the service: I m also beta testing the new kind of beta test where you actually pay for this.

( Me ) Wait look ! HE SHOOTS ! HE SC.......DAMN ! Did he score ? This sucks ! We missed the big goal ! Merde !

( beta tester ) We missed the goal, but we re at the cutting edge.

( Me ) I d rather be at the BLUNT edge and see the goal !

( beta tester ) Us beta testers must suffer for the benefit of Mankind

( Me ) I m going home to watch the game. Bye sucker